Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #181
skier171
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Matt
Trading: (1)
skier171 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

A few months later along the path, and I have more questions...

If there are different Rh, (puck 50 = 65, puck 100 = 70) what would happen?

Also, i've noticed the wrapper being quite fragile (sometimes ripping when taking cello off) in my bigger humi where the temp has been right around 68 and rh is usually reading 67-69. Any ideas whats wrong in there? (and this is a case by case deal, most are perceftly fine, but on occasion i get one where the wrapper cracks shortly after lighting...)
skier171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #182
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier171 View Post
A few months later along the path, and I have more questions...

If there are different Rh, (puck 50 = 65, puck 100 = 70) what would happen?

Also, i've noticed the wrapper being quite fragile (sometimes ripping when taking cello off) in my bigger humi where the temp has been right around 68 and rh is usually reading 67-69. Any ideas whats wrong in there? (and this is a case by case deal, most are perceftly fine, but on occasion i get one where the wrapper cracks shortly after lighting...)
Sounds like they're too dry...you may want to change your humidifying system and get some gel jars or beads, make sure your humidor seals well, and get a good hygrometer...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #183
Morgue

Was smoking a cigar and brown ink fluid kept coming out the head of a cigar. At first it was just a little brown (guess it was like a tobacco stain) on my fingers then I started to notice almost a drop. I thought it was saliva but then made sure to not salivate over the end and it kept getting worse.

Someone else who smoked some from that bundle said they got a little of the same thing. One of my cigar buddies thought it was just oils coming out, I have never seen that much come out.

Any ideas? Humidor was at 65 to 70, and I was thinking maybe for whatever reason the stick was too wet...curious to know more.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #184
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

The brown liquid is tar, foul tasting. Sometimes you can recut and it will stop. Also smoking slower will keep the tar from flowing. But there are times you just have to pitch the stick. It happens randomly and can appear with any cigar, from cheap to super premium.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #185
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

So lately I have been in a smoking slump,I don't really have the desire to smoke unless it's at a herf. have any of the old gorillas been down this road? also whats the cure?

<tweet>
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #186
leasingthisspace

I am not a FOG but I have been down this road. If you don't feel like smoking then don't. I just went like 2 months without one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #187
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_mike View Post
So lately I have been in a smoking slump,I don't really have the desire to smoke unless it's at a herf. have any of the old gorillas been down this road? also whats the cure?

<tweet>
Nothing wrong with taking a break, Mike. You have a lot on your mind right now. Sometimes its good to take a break to refresh you palate.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #188
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
I am not a FOG but I have been down this road. If you don't feel like smoking then don't. I just went like 2 months without one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Nothing wrong with taking a break, Mike. You have a lot on your mind right now. Sometimes its good to take a break to refresh you palate.
thank you both I think I'll wait for a bit and smoke a few on the big day,hope to see you there Bob.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #189
Morgue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
The brown liquid is tar, foul tasting. Sometimes you can recut and it will stop. Also smoking slower will keep the tar from flowing. But there are times you just have to pitch the stick. It happens randomly and can appear with any cigar, from cheap to super premium.
Good to know!

I did have to just put it down, but it was a cheaper stick so I wasn't too concerned.

Was kinda worried I was doing something wrong to cause it.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 AM   #190
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgue View Post
Was smoking a cigar and brown ink fluid kept coming out the head of a cigar. At first it was just a little brown (guess it was like a tobacco stain) on my fingers then I started to notice almost a drop. I thought it was saliva but then made sure to not salivate over the end and it kept getting worse.

Someone else who smoked some from that bundle said they got a little of the same thing. One of my cigar buddies thought it was just oils coming out, I have never seen that much come out.

Any ideas? Humidor was at 65 to 70, and I was thinking maybe for whatever reason the stick was too wet...curious to know more.

What specific cigar was it?

I have another thought but want to find out first.

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #191
Morgue

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
What specific cigar was it?

I have another thought but want to find out first.

~Mark
an 1876 Churchill
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #192
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I have seen some pics on this site of labeled cigars. I did a search and found what people use to label them (napkin rings, p-touch, blank labels,..etc) but not why. I have always been the buy, cut, smoke, repeat type, turning my small humidor over every 4-6 weeks. I have just graduated to a cabinet and plan on keeping more cigars for longer. So i'm wondering why people label their cigars, What info they place on the label, and is this something everyone storing cigars should do? Or is it only practiced by anal retentive types?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #193
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I label cigars that were given to me, that way I know when I got it and who gave it to me.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #194
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I have seen some pics on this site of labeled cigars. I did a search and found what people use to label them (napkin rings, p-touch, blank labels,..etc) but not why. I have always been the buy, cut, smoke, repeat type, turning my small humidor over every 4-6 weeks. I have just graduated to a cabinet and plan on keeping more cigars for longer. So i'm wondering why people label their cigars, What info they place on the label, and is this something everyone storing cigars should do? Or is it only practiced by anal retentive types?
Personally I don't label everything, just cigars I want to remember what they are or when they were made. Like dates or box codes from cuban cigars or unlabeled non-cuban cigars like AVO LE07. Some people will label cigars that they are gifted or bombed by other members to remind them of who gave it to them when they smoke it down the road. I find it curteous to label cigars that I send to other people if there might be a question of what it is. Sometimes I just write in on the 5 finger bag or will add a white label to it.

Its really your decision in the end, but when you delve further into the world of cigars and store them for long periods of time it will be much easier to look at a label than trying to remember what the cigar is and who you recieved it from.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 AM   #195
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #196
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

I put the date I got the stick for singles on my labels. That let's me keep track of how long I have had it. It's tough to keep track any other way for me. I like to keep my sticks sitting for at least 1 month before I'll smoke them to let them acclimate to my preferred conditions. It doesn't always work out that way though.

If a box doesn't have a date code, I will throw a label in there also. I am at the point now of acquiring boxes, so I'm going to try and let my boxes sit for a year and live off singles until then. So the date on the label let's me know how long I have had them.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #197
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

I'm having a humidification problem and I can't seem to fix it!

I currently have an Edgestar 28, fit with 4 Chasidor drawers and 2 shelves. I have 3 pounds of Heartfelt beads spread throughout, and three 4 ounce bags of Shilala's beads put in the drawers. All beads are set to 65%.

The temp on my unit runs at 60 degrees, never wavering. The humidity is where the issue is. The humidity holds steady at 58%. I have the drain plugged, so there is a constant pool of water forming at the bottom of the unit (I think I'm gonna rig up somthing so it drains into a bowl inside the unit).

Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to help the unit keep my humidity?
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #198
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonMilo View Post
I'm having a humidification problem and I can't seem to fix it!

I currently have an Edgestar 28, fit with 4 Chasidor drawers and 2 shelves. I have 3 pounds of Heartfelt beads spread throughout, and three 4 ounce bags of Shilala's beads put in the drawers. All beads are set to 65%.

The temp on my unit runs at 60 degrees, never wavering. The humidity is where the issue is. The humidity holds steady at 58%. I have the drain plugged, so there is a constant pool of water forming at the bottom of the unit (I think I'm gonna rig up somthing so it drains into a bowl inside the unit).

Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to help the unit keep my humidity?
Are your hygrometers calibrated? 60 is a little on the cool side, which may be causing your unit to run a lot.....try turning the temp up to 65 and see if that helps.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #199
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

My hygros are calibrated with the salt test. Did it when I initially got them and then again last week because I was so frustrated with the humidity issue!

I'll try raising the temp to see if it helps at all. Anyone have any suggestions for the water collection issue at the bottom of my unit?
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #200
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonMilo View Post
My hygros are calibrated with the salt test. Did it when I initially got them and then again last week because I was so frustrated with the humidity issue!

I'll try raising the temp to see if it helps at all. Anyone have any suggestions for the water collection issue at the bottom of my unit?
Turning up the temp will probably result in less water in the bottom. Some people put a container of beads at the bottom and direct the water into it. I think there may be some photos around here showing that.