Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #4081
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
OH, by the way, the reason I popped in today was to share this...
http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20674874.html
we all know I hate these guys, lol, but now and again they just put up something useful and tempting.
This is a GREAT camera for someone who doesn't need to shoot inside, because the flaw that has it
discounted is a burnt out built-in flash. You can buy a cheap hot shoe flash if you have to have flash.
Forty bucks is a great price for what this body can do in good light. Its a great vacation camera, a great
camera for the trunk of your car. You can pick up a cheap zoom for it for about $20-$30. But don't try to
put a compact flash memory card over 2GB in it, it won't work. Old tech.
Think it also boasts a 1/500 sec flash speed which is awesome.
Just picked a mint — and I mean mint — D70s with a VR mid zoom for $125 for my daughter. Have read reports of people using CF-SD adapters and 8GB SD cards without issues with the D70s. Wonder if the same is true with the D70.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #4082
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I imagine if it works on one it works on the other, and I know D70s takes larger than 2G CF cards...
That flash sync speed was something I would have mentioned if the flash on that $40 one wasn't out, lol.
WHo knows if it works the same with the hot shoe, don't see why not.

All those old Nikons have such wonderful rendition, the 6MP sensor really was a well-optimized thing in those
cameras. You need light, but oh the pixels it makes. I almost bought this one last night, then again today,
but I just have SO MANY DAMNED NIKON BODIES. But the price was so good I thought I could easily sell it and
make $20. In the end I just thought I'd share it and move on.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #4083
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Been to few concerts lately and am having trouble getting some decent iPhone pics. Love to bring some real gear in but not feasible. Just can't figure out how to get some decent frames, yet I've seen solid concert pix from other iPhones. Work finally upgraded me to a newish 5s yesterday and the camera is certainly better that my old 4s. Curious which apps, settings, etc. work best. Here's a frame from Monster Truck last night. If you like heavy throwback rock, I'd suggest you check them out. They're from DMK's neck of the woods.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #4084
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, it would be nice to score a couple of press passes wouldn't it?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #4085
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Yes it is that time of year:

Old 12-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #4086
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough

Shot from recent snow, and ice storm

shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #4087
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

That looks fairly dangerous, Shade, lol. Brilliant bit of shooting, though.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #4088
OLS
Suck It

Jeff I have never liked any camera phone shot I have seen, in terms of crispness and contrast, but I think its so
completely relative that people talk themselves into believing that its good because its BETTER than their old phone
(and it usually is). But I hope no one ever upgrades their phone solely for the photos. I think you could do pretty well
with a micro 4/3 camera, because in the end its really the size of the sensor that gives you that definition and resolution.
Until you get to an inch, it seems to me that its all tricks, gimmicks and promotio-ganda. I have fallen for all of it,
though thankfully never at retail, always used. I am guessing there are rules in these venues that either say
"NO PRO CAMERAS" or "NO LARGE LENS CAMERAS." My mother bought me Popular Photography for a year,
which I begged her not to do (fixed income) but they are giving magazines away nowadays, so I doubt she
paid much over $15, but I did not want to read about the newest and best, and I did not care to read about how
the pros shoot cats. But there was a camera in there this month that might be the perfect stealth camera.
I see on the website that the review materials are a month behind so I will have to check the actual magazine
at home and get back on it. You might not even care. But it seemed to check all the impossible boxes on ISO
performance and photo quality. The more I read about how it fared the more impossible I thought it
sounded.

I think its a Panasonic since it had a Leica lens.......ahh...found it. Well, never mind, its $900, lol.
Of COURSE its awesome. But it has a VERY SENSIBLE MP count for a larger than normal sensor and
has some really nice retro controls and looks like a joe-schmo camera.
Very deceptive exterior, VERY nice photos. Only drawback? It doesn't make phone calls.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html

Last edited by OLS; 12-08-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #4089
GWN
Snow City

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Jeff I have never liked any camera phone shot I have seen, in terms of crispness and contrast, but I think its so
completely relative that people talk themselves into believing that its good because its BETTER than their old phone
(and it usually is). But I hope no one ever upgrades their phone solely for the photos. I think you could do pretty well
with a micro 4/3 camera, because in the end its really the size of the sensor that gives you that definition and resolution.
Until you get to an inch, it seems to me that its all tricks, gimmicks and promotio-ganda. I have fallen for all of it,
though thankfully never at retail, always used. I am guessing there are rules in these venues that either say
"NO PRO CAMERAS" or "NO LARGE LENS CAMERAS." My mother bought me Popular Photography for a year,
which I begged her not to do (fixed income) but they are giving magazines away nowadays, so I doubt she
paid much over $15, but I did not want to read about the newest and best, and I did not care to read about how
the pros shoot cats. But there was a camera in there this month that might be the perfect stealth camera.
I see on the website that the review materials are a month behind so I will have to check the actual magazine
at home and get back on it. You might not even care. But it seemed to check all the impossible boxes on ISO
performance and photo quality. The more I read about how it fared the more impossible I thought it
sounded.

I think its a Panasonic since it had a Leica lens.......ahh...found it. Well, never mind, its $900, lol.
Of COURSE its awesome. But it has a VERY SENSIBLE MP count for a larger than normal sensor and
has some really nice retro controls and looks like a joe-schmo camera.
Very deceptive exterior, VERY nice photos. Only drawback? It doesn't make phone calls.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html

Hear what you're saying about larger sensor. Have a few older P&S cameras around here. May bring one with me next time. Would love to bring my P7000, which takes dynamite images, but just a little too chunky for the mosh pit
Old 12-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #4090
OLS
Suck It

Lol, I just picked up a used P7000 for $49, the defect was the leaf shutter lens cap deal intermittently hangs....
Duh, sooner or later they ALL do that, it did not bother me. I had a P6000 I got for $40 that never impressed
me in any way, a lot of controls but kind of a humdrum performance in anything but great light. I understand the
P7000 is actually quite a decent camera, so I am happy to be getting it. The P6000 is going to go out the door for
$40 in the end and I will lose nothing for having had it awhile.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #4091
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #4092
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

Montecristo

Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #4093
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Awesome cherry pic, Shawn. Did you take that?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #4094
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

Montecristo

I took both of them. The car shot is me driving with a 5DMKII mounted on a tripod in the back back seat. I used a wired remote to take the picture.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #4095
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Very cool!
Old 12-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #4096
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

Montecristo

From my balcony in Orlando

Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #4097
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

Montecristo

This selfie

Was shot with this camera (photo taken with iPhone)

Old 12-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #4098
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

Montecristo

Go ahead and ask me what the settings were on this shot. I shot this hand held with a S90 in M mode.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #4099
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

Montecristo

Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #4100
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN View Post
I re-read my comments on this photo and was a bit mortified....I did not intend to say that I did not like
this pic, or that I thought it was bad. In fact as a phone pic I rather like it. I have a partner that I work
local shows with; he books the acts and I do my best to cover them. And he always asks me what I
thought about this shot or that from his phone, and I always want to say "If I thought they were good,
I wouldn't be here." And by that I simply mean that if it was good enough to promote his show with,
he certainly wouldn't need ME to shoot DSLR photos. I LOVE staying at home nights.

So I tell him that I like the framing, composition, perspective, timing of the capture...things I DO Like
about the shot. Its not supposed to compare head to head, but it can still be a great shot. I am already
a big enough jerk not to come off as one accidentally, lol. This place is about photography, not DSLRs.
And from that perspective, the shots rather wicked. (You know what I DO HATE, though? These freaking
LED stage lights.)