Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #61
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?
 
Pseudosacred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
First Name: Nick
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 423
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I prefer CCs most of the time as I do not feel the need to eat a large meal before hand like I do for many strong NCs.
I have no experiance with CC's. Does this mean they are less on the strong side?
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #62
Bill86
Snob
 
Bill86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
First Name: Bill
Posts: 6,704
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred View Post
I have no experiance with CC's. Does this mean they are less on the strong side?
I would say a full bodied CC is maybe a medium to medium full bodied NC. As far as I know there are no FFP/Pork Tenderloin/Liga Privada FULL FULL bodied CC's. I could be wrong and If I am there are VERY few.

In general strength is not something CC's go for. Flavor however is.
__________________
I'm drunk......but I'll get drunker! - Doug Stanhope
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #63
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?
 
Pseudosacred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
First Name: Nick
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 423
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I would say a full bodied CC is maybe a medium to medium full bodied NC. As far as I know there are no FFP/Pork Tenderloin/Liga Privada FULL FULL bodied CC's. I could be wrong and If I am there are VERY few.

In general strength is not something CC's go for. Flavor however is.
Interesting....
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #64
maverickdrinker
I'm nuts for the place
 
maverickdrinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
First Name: art
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,555
Trading: (15)
Cohiba
maverickdrinker will become famous soon enoughmaverickdrinker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

I smoke cc's and the occasional nc for a change of pace. To each, his own. I've never been a big fan of the power bombs of most nc's however, I do enjoy them once in awhile.

I think the important thing is not to judge what others enjoy. You can share your opinion if you like the cigar or not as different strokes for different folks however, using a broad brush to say generalities is dangerous and disrespectful.

Even within cc's, there are preferences. There are marcas that I enjoy. Others not so much. At the end of the day, it's about the experience, in terms of the cigar(s) smoked and those who you enjoyed it with.
maverickdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #65
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!
 
lenguamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joe
Location: The 305 again!
Posts: 1,030
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Whenever you find yourself annoyed that others don't like the same cigars you do, consider this: if everyone liked your favorite cigars, they'd be exceedingly hard to find and prohibitively expensive.

So...vive la difference!
__________________
lenguamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #66
akumushi
Habanos Apologist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,298
Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Whenever you find yourself annoyed that others don't like the same cigars you do, consider this: if everyone liked your favorite cigars, they'd be exceedingly hard to find and prohibitively expensive.

So...vive la difference!
To a certain extent... but then again, Habanos has recently discontinued the last of the ninfas, panatela largas and several other long and skinny vitolas to make room for more limited edition toros and petit robustos because that's what's selling, so sometimes there's safety in numbers.
__________________
"Eventually, however, every ash must drop. And the drop usually is as sudden as it is final."
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #67
pektel
I'm nuts for the place
 
pektel's Avatar
1
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
First Name: Peter
Location: Grand Rapids, MN
Posts: 4,320
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Don't remind me. I'm not a fan of the direction habanos SA is headed. Such a shame, if you ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #68
Don Fernando
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
Don Fernando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ferdinand
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 9,949
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

It bugs me that some people in this topic talk about nc's all being full bodied. That is not the case, there are shitloads of mild and medium nc's too
__________________
check out my reviews on my blog.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #69
oooo35980
Feeling at Home
 
oooo35980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
First Name: Isaiah
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 569
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
It bugs me that some people in this topic talk about nc's all being full bodied. That is not the case, there are shitloads of mild and medium nc's too

Ya gotta admit though most of the really hyped ones are pretty full, LP and Viaje for instance.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #70
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag
 
icehog3's Avatar
13
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: Kindergarten Cop
Posts: 57,648
Trading: (59)
RA
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzi16 View Post
i will forgive your hasty judgement of me if you let me explain mine.

i was speaking of random people i meet at work ( i work in a restaurant)that claim to know things about cigars. when i begin to ask them about what brands they like they say they "only smoke Cubans"
this phrase was in quotes because it seemed obvious to me that they are saying that because they are are lying to me because they are fore some reason looking to impress me. so when i press further and they cannot name a single line, source, brand, etc i know they are full of it.

of course i do not speak of people that tend to post in forums such as this because the people that post in forums like this tend to know more about cigars than the average guy that enjoys cigars and many of the forum member either know more than the guy that owns the local B&M or they ARE the guy that owns the local B&M.

i am sorry if i inadvertently insulted people that actually know what they are doing. i was not speaking of you. i should watch my wording.



you are not sorry to insult. if you were you would not do so. but i accept your apology none-the-less. you are just defending your community and i respect that. i would do the same if the rolls were reversed.

I do not feel the need to justify how much i do or do not know about cigars. you can feel free to investigate that yourself if you want. or not. whatever. i use the same handle on the cigar.com forum this forum and BOTL.org. if you want you can read my blog that is in my signature line. if not, fine. im not here to impress you. i am not here to insult you either.
Fair enough, I am glad you made another post, and appreciate that you see I was looking out for my community. Hope we can start an neutral ground and go onward and upward from here.
__________________


Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank and Týr.
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #71
thecatch83
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
First Name: Ty
Location: Chesapeake VA.
Posts: 789
Trading: (3)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
thecatch83 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

I prefer cigars that taste amazing, regardless of origin. Several NC's are produced using Cuban seed anyway......but if pressed, CC's all the way! I wonder how this discussion would lean if the former USSR didn't want to park nuclear warheads 100 miles from the United States, and CC's were readily available and priced like NC's!

Last edited by thecatch83; 03-30-2012 at 03:36 AM.
thecatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #72
akumushi
Habanos Apologist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,298
Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
It bugs me that some people in this topic talk about nc's all being full bodied. That is not the case, there are shitloads of mild and medium nc's too
I think it's because to CC smokers, the vast majority of NC mild and medium smokes simply don't hold a candle to CCs in terms of complexity and range of flavors. There is NO NC that comes anywhere near the delicate but complex taste and smoking experiece of say, a La Gloria Cubana Medaille D' Or No. 1 or 3. Maybe the OR El Triumphador Lancero comes close in terms of quality of flavors and that light sweetness, but IMO, it is still far from as complex as the any of the best CC lanceros. The only NC cigars that offer me something unique and satifying that I can't find done better and with more complexity and range of flavor somewhere in the Habanos portfolio are the big, peppery Nic flavor bombs like the LE Tats, Pepin line and the Padron Anniversary series. I've had some VR farm rolls that come close to these in flavor and body, but still weren't quite as in your face and chewy. If I feel like a Padron then I feel like a Padron, but if I want something light, then NCs are dead to me.
This is my personal experience, so please don't think I'm saying you're wrong. You're an experienced smoker and I'm sure there are some mild and medium NCs that you love, and for good reason. If you list a couple I might even check them out. I'm simply explaining the thought process behind my (and presumably the other CC smokers) bias, and why we act like there is nothing in the NC world in terms of mild/medium smokes. It's because to many of us, the only NCs worth smoking are the full bodied ones.
__________________
"Eventually, however, every ash must drop. And the drop usually is as sudden as it is final."
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #73
jjirons69
Haberdasher
 
jjirons69's Avatar
4
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Jamie
Location: Chucktown, SC
Posts: 4,120
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

The only things I find consistent in life are my family and beliefs - the rest change. I used to like Titleist ProV1s, now I love Maxflis. A couple of years ago I loved dark roast beans, now I'm drinking blond roast more often than not. I once hated hoppy beers, now I love them. How boring would life be if we settled in ruts and did the same thing all the time. I smoked hundreds of 5 Vegas As years ago, they were my go-tos. I haven't had any in a long and it doesn't bother me in the least. Tastes change. What I like now may be nowhere close to what I like in a year or two (except I'll always love a delicious LGC!).

YMMV
__________________
Somebody has to go back and get a chitload of dimes
jjirons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #74
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.
 
shilala's Avatar
6
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Scott
Posts: 13,686
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I would say a full bodied CC is maybe a medium to medium full bodied NC. As far as I know there are no FFP/Pork Tenderloin/Liga Privada FULL FULL bodied CC's. I could be wrong and If I am there are VERY few.

In general strength is not something CC's go for. Flavor however is.
The only full-bodied, full strength cc I've ever had is a big Por Larranaga hogleg that Klugs asked me to try at the last Shack. I think that's what it was, if I remember correctly. I asked him twice and he told me what it was, exactly, and I forget again.
I was thinking it was an old Belicosos Finos, but it's not. at any rate, it was INCREDIBLY good.

I also think you hit the nail on the head, Bill. I can't imagine any reason that there can't be full-bodied, strong cc's. The money is in what they're doing. I would guess that the trend toward larger rings will also begin a trend toward fuller body/strength. Probably in LE's, that'd be a good place to do it.
__________________
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #75
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!
 
Blak Smyth's Avatar
2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
First Name: SD
Location: THE WOOD
Posts: 8,486
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
It bugs me that some people in this topic talk about nc's all being full bodied. That is not the case, there are shitloads of mild and medium nc's too
Most of the NCs I prefer tend to be pretty strong, which is fine I just like to be able to smoke without planning my meals out. I think I have a low Nic tollerance. I have not found many NCs that are mild-medium strength that I have been able to really enjoy.
__________________
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #76
Don Fernando
Ain't Never Gonna Leave
 
Don Fernando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ferdinand
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 9,949
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
Ya gotta admit though most of the really hyped ones are pretty full, LP and Viaje for instance.
But there are thousands of NC's, there is a whole world out there besides the hyped ones.
__________________
check out my reviews on my blog.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #77
Bad Finger
The Duke of Dank
 
Bad Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
First Name: Clancy
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 218
Trading: (4)
SLR
Bad Finger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Doesn't matter what the others say, matters what you like.
If that is the case and it simply comes down to what a person likes, why do CC's get so much special treatment on forum boards by getting their own section for every marca and multiple other areas dedicated directly to Cuban blends?

I don't see that preferential treatment for say, Nicaraguan cigars.

__________________
http://dailytobacconist.com
Bad Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #78
markem
Livin' the life
 
markem's Avatar
12
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Mark
Location: Casa TJ
Posts: 16,898
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Finger View Post
If that is the case and it simply comes down to what a person likes, why do CC's get so much special treatment on forum boards by getting their own section for every marca and multiple other areas dedicated directly to Cuban blends?

I don't see that preferential treatment for say, Nicaraguan cigars.

The "why doesn't every NC have a subforum/review area" question has been answered many times. The shear volume (and more new ones daily) makes it nearly impossible. Other than the existence of a habanos forum and marca specific review areas, I have no idea what you mean by preferential.

Where are these "multiple other areas" of which you speak?

The ToE built the board that they wanted and do listen to inmate input. If the board isn't what you want, VBulletin.org is the place to go to see how cheap and easy it is to set one up yourself.

Build it and people who want your environment will come. If it gets lonely, don't complain to me.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #79
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.
 
shilala's Avatar
6
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Scott
Posts: 13,686
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Finger View Post
If that is the case and it simply comes down to what a person likes, why do CC's get so much special treatment on forum boards by getting their own section for every marca and multiple other areas dedicated directly to Cuban blends?

I don't see that preferential treatment for say, Nicaraguan cigars.

I fail to see the tie-in between your question and the comment, and my first thought was "what's the difference?", but you may want to consider that this board, as well as many others, are privately owned, run and paid for.
Point being, the powers that be may prefer it that way. Considering neither of us have a dime in it, that brings us right back around to "what's the difference?"
Another way to look at it relates to Ferdie's comment earlier. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of non-cuban marcas. Where would one fit a category for each? Who would remove, manage, change things as one marca after another is abandoned because it's stopped selling?
There's not a new cc created every week, and it stands to reason that one could break down the reviews, for instance, such as they are here. I can't speak to how other boards are broken down, I don't visit them.
__________________
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #80
akumushi
Habanos Apologist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,298
Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Finger View Post
If that is the case and it simply comes down to what a person likes, why do CC's get so much special treatment on forum boards by getting their own section for every marca and multiple other areas dedicated directly to Cuban blends?

I don't see that preferential treatment for say, Nicaraguan cigars.

1. The interests of the people who initially designed the website, they wanted it and so they made it. That simple.
2. The fact that there are small, finite set of marcas that has hardly changed in the last 10 years, and as such can easily be given that kind of detailed treatment. I dare you to try to organize every Marca on the NC side that's existed in the last ten years.
__________________
"Eventually, however, every ash must drop. And the drop usually is as sudden as it is final."
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.