Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #21
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dog Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
We have a couple greater swiss mountain dogs. The male loved to chew things and we tried some kind of rosemary spray that he actually loved to chew on. We had very good luck with Grannick's Bitter Apple spray. The only negative is it seems to only last a short time before you have to re-apply it.

Good luck!
Stuff works great.
Many, many years ago, used it for a yorkie that loved chewing up the dining table and chairs.
It worked.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #22
Pulse
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Pulse is on a distinguished road

Training....training....training...early and consistently. Bitter Apple will work in some cases but randomly at best and isn't a silver bullet for chewing. Dogs chew my nature so given you have the advantage of getting a puppy, condition him/her at an early stage and be consistent in your training. Pick one or 2 chew toys that will be "thiers" to chew on. DO NOT make it a toy that is similar to a human piece of clothing etc. ( I.E. a shoe, etc...) Dogs cannot differentiate between their "shoe" and your shoe...to them, it's a chew toy. So go buy them a toy that they can use regularly to chew on that won't be confused with something else they shouldn't be chewing.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works better than consistency when it comes to training a dog. Dogs look to YOU to guide them so do it and do it consistently. Having a puppy is a great advantage as they will look to you to teach them the appropriate way to behave. Now that does't mean that a full grown dog can't be reconditioned, far from the truth. The old adage that an old dog can't learn new tricks is total BS...hehehe. Exercise the hell out of them, then proceed to train them (fetch, stay, sit, blah blah blah), then praise them after they do it right. (in that order)

I could go on and on and on and on about this as i've trained dozens upon dozens of dogs over the years this way so feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this in more detail or have more questions and want my opinion.

Training a dog is a lot simpler than it's made out to be and never requires aggressive/negative behavior on your part to accomplish what you want...(yelling/hitting/etc.)

Now, this is just one opinion and many here have had huge success in their own methods which is great so take it for what it's worth. Just a random guy offering an opinion on a topic you asked about on an open forum...hehehe.

Smoke on!
Pulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #23
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
Training....training....training...early and consistently. Bitter Apple will work in some cases but randomly at best and isn't a silver bullet for chewing. Dogs chew my nature so given you have the advantage of getting a puppy, condition him/her at an early stage and be consistent in your training. Pick one or 2 chew toys that will be "thiers" to chew on. DO NOT make it a toy that is similar to a human piece of clothing etc. ( I.E. a shoe, etc...) Dogs cannot differentiate between their "shoe" and your shoe...to them, it's a chew toy. So go buy them a toy that they can use regularly to chew on that won't be confused with something else they shouldn't be chewing.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING works better than consistency when it comes to training a dog. Dogs look to YOU to guide them so do it and do it consistently. Having a puppy is a great advantage as they will look to you to teach them the appropriate way to behave. Now that does't mean that a full grown dog can't be reconditioned, far from the truth. The old adage that an old dog can't learn new tricks is total BS...hehehe. Exercise the hell out of them, then proceed to train them (fetch, stay, sit, blah blah blah), then praise them after they do it right. (in that order)

I could go on and on and on and on about this as i've trained dozens upon dozens of dogs over the years this way so feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss this in more detail or have more questions and want my opinion.

Training a dog is a lot simpler than it's made out to be and never requires aggressive/negative behavior on your part to accomplish what you want...(yelling/hitting/etc.)

Now, this is just one opinion and many here have had huge success in their own methods which is great so take it for what it's worth. Just a random guy offering an opinion on a topic you asked about on an open forum...hehehe.

Smoke on!
Wow...thanks for the response. Some good insight there. We find out today from the landlord if they will allow it or not. So keeping fingers crossed, I might pm you later today
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #24
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I second (well maybe 4th by now) using bitter apple. Although, I've never had to use it. Usually having a chew tow and watching closely to correct them (like Pulse said) if they start chewing works.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #25
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Training Training Training, and get the dog a KONG!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #26
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

I disagree with the yelling, pulling the ear, etc. It doesn't take much to discourage chewing. Find your dog a chew toy that it simply can't ignore (KONG). Use some bitter apple spray to spray down power cords or other favorite chewed items, and then when you catch puppy chewing, give them a firm "NO" and provide them with their chew toy. Chewing is necessary for puppies and shouldn't be discouraged, just redirected.
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #27
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

My black lab pup loved the nylabones (sp). The puppy ones they can really go after and they are safe to digest (in moderation).

I think supervision and distraction are the keys.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #28
UK Bro
Still Watching My Back

UK Bro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Training Training Training, and get the dog a KONG!
Plenty of time and LOADS of patience !
Old 10-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

We have an appointment tomorrow morning to look at a Choc Lab puppy. We will probably come home with him if everything goes ok.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #30
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Stuff works great.
Many, many years ago, used it for a yorkie that loved chewing up the dining table and chairs.
It worked.
maybe you should spray Bill's ankles with bitter apple.
Genetic Defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #31
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
We have an appointment tomorrow morning to look at a Choc Lab puppy. We will probably come home with him if everything goes ok.
Best of luck. The KONGs and Nylabones work well. For our beagle (destructo dog) we have to keep an eye on him constantly and have a well stocked bin of rawhides to redirect his focus when the others fail.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #32
SteveA
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
SteveA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Katie and I are looking to get a Choc Lab puppy in the near future. The question is: Is there anything that I can rub on the legs of our TV stand,coffee table, and table and chair legs to keep the dog from chewing on it? Or are there any other tips to keep them from chewing on the furniture?

Thanks
As I'm sure others have said, use apple bitter. Don't get the substitutes. I had a pointer that didn't like the substitute at first and then started enjoying it! Got apple bitter and if he saw me with the bottle he ran. Hated that stuff.

Also, have a box of chew toys somewhere that he has access to. Anytime he starts to chew something inappropriate, scold him and then take him to the box. Encourage him to take something out to play with and praise him when he does.

With that said, you will be doing yourself, your furniture and your new friend a huge favor by taking him to obedience training.

Last edited by SteveA; 10-17-2008 at 04:01 PM.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #33
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
As I'm sure others have said, use apple bitter. Don't get the substitutes. I had a pointer that didn't like the substitute at first and then started enjoying it! Got apple bitter and if he saw me with the bottle he ran. Hated that stuff.

Also, have a box of chew toys somewhere that he has access to. Anytime he starts to chew something inappropriate, scold him and then take him to the box. Encourage him to take something out to play with and praise him when he does.

With that said, you will be doing yourself, your furniture and your new friend a huge favor by taking him to obedience training.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #34
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road

Bitter apple never worked for me the dog liked the crap!!

I agree with give them plenty of toys to chew, our new puppy never chewed anything he wasn't supposed to because we gave him his toys when it was play time and he got to chew them all to shreds.

Last edited by AriesOpusX; 10-17-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I suck at typing.
AriesOpusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #35
chibnkr
Pedestrian Habano Elitist

Trading: (2)
LFdC
chibnkr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Stuff works great.
It worked.
Yeah, that's what my wife told me...bitter apple. FWIW, she is a veterinarian so she knows her stuff, LOL.
chibnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #36
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

I had a Chocolate lab. You can use bitter apple spray, but my suggestion would be to crate train the dog, and leave him in the crate when you are out. When you are around, if you see him chewing, scold him sternly and consistently. Chocolate labs are very smart dogs and he will be trained in a few weeks.
Rocky used to be able to open the front door of our house and close it after himself. I was also training him to open the fridge and bring me a beer, but once he learned to open the fridge, my reward wasn't enough to compensate for whatever was on the bottom shelf. Then we had to train him not to open the fridge.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #37
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
I had a Chocolate lab. You can use bitter apple spray, but my suggestion would be to crate train the dog, and leave him in the crate when you are out. When you are around, if you see him chewing, scold him sternly and consistently. Chocolate labs are very smart dogs and he will be trained in a few weeks.
Rocky used to be able to open the front door of our house and close it after himself. I was also training him to open the fridge and bring me a beer, but once he learned to open the fridge, my reward wasn't enough to compensate for whatever was on the bottom shelf. Then we had to train him not to open the fridge.
Crate training is def the way we were thinking of going

Currently were just puppy proofing the house
Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #38
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibnkr View Post
Yeah, that's what my wife told me...bitter apple. FWIW, she is a veterinarian so she knows her stuff, LOL.
she did marry you
Old 10-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #39
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Another thumbs up on the Bitter Apple - but the way I found best to use it is this:

Take a rag and soak it with the Bitter Apple. Let the puppy smell it - and then pretty much just put it in his/her mouth. This way they will know that the smell goes with the taste - and will avoid it.

But as noted above - some dogs actually like it. My neighbors have a new Boston Terrier pup that goes around licking it off the furniture. Go figure.

Bitter Apple is safe for most all furniture finishes and fabrics with the exception of lacquer I have found. As with most liquids, lacquer tends to cloud slightly if you put enough on.

Best bet is the above and plenty of chew toys, bones and training crate as chewing is vital.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #40
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

RA

Picked up a few things last night: Leash, collar, food bowls...and got the crate from my parents. Will pick up some more stuff as we go along! Were leaving within the hour. Don't think were gonna bring him home tomorrow. Katie will be out of town all afternoon and evening and I'm having some friends over tonight. We'll probably pick it up and bring him home on Sunday when he can spend the entire day with US and not be in shock with all the people over and in the house.....but were REALLY excited