Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Ever had a red ash before?

That's right. Red. Or pinkish-red to be exact. Happened to me yesterday and unfortunately I didn't have a camera to record it.

Background: A couple years ago I picked up an 09 Camacho Liberty in a coffin, and having never seen any water/condensation in the bottom of my vino, just slid it right in there under the lowest shelf when I got home. Was a perfect little spot...I thought. So a few weeks later I got to playing tetris and when I pulled the coffin out the bottom of it was wet, I looked inside and the cigar was wet as hell, and I thought damn, ruined a $15 stick. You couldn't even read the label anymore. So I pulled it out of the coffin to let it "dry" some and then dropped it into a singles box where it has been until yesterday.

So I figured I'd give it a shot yesterday, and worst case scenario get it the hell out of the humi. I wasn't confident and so I grabbed another stick just in case this one didn't work out. I lit her up, tasted like a "normal" cigar. Took a couple of draws and looked at the ash and started to notice something funny. The ash was freaking red. Huh? It stayed that way for about an inch then turned white. Back to normal I suppose. Then as I neared the nub, with about 2 inches of the cigar left, it turned red again. Strangest damn thing I've ever seen. Tasted normal, it was pretty good actually. Now I don't know if from the water damage it tasted like it should have, but it wasn't bad at all.

Anybody else ever have anything like this happen? Or have any ideas as to why this happened? Gotta admit, it was kinda cool. Odd, but cool.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ever had a red ash before?

Saw purple ash and smoke once, but then again the cigar was purple.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

The only cigar this has happened to me on is the Brickhouse. It wasn't red ash but a yellow one. Looked like yellow fiberglass. It hasn't happened on every brickhouse, but at least 3 of them have done this.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

My totally uneducated guess is that there is some mineral in the soil where the brickhouses are grown. As far as the Camacho, it could be a similar situation, or it could be that the water imparted a mineral, or something else into the wrapper/filler of the Camacho. Since I'm making uneducated guesses, it could even have been mold or something similar on the Camacho.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road

Could the ink from the label have somehow stain the cigar?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Rizzle smoked a Twizzler?

I got nuthin'

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Sure You Weren't Drinking A Little Somethin', Somethin', Brother? Never Seen It, Myself.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Heh, for a minute I thought I was smoking something other than a cigar, but I wasn't getting buzzed.

No, it was red. I think it was coming from the binder, personally. And as was posited above, maybe some kind of mineral/chemical reaction from the water/coffin/tobacco. No idea.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
whodeeni

interesting Rich!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Oh, red ASH...never mind.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

I vote for the label ink running.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Some years back I purchased a box of Flor de A. Allones Favoritas. I smoked the first one out of the box while walking about waiting for my Easter ham to cook. The ash, swear to God, was pink.

Maybe it was minerals in the soil, maybe it was a consequence of the holiday season, or maybe it was because I was puffing on an empty stomach. Still, I swear to this day it was pink. So if you say that's yours was red, I believe you brother.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I had a red ash once, but it went away after seeing my dermatologist.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

never had red ash, had hemorrhoids once though
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Gold Bond powder works for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Gold Bond powder works for me.
Gold Bond is decent, but this is better... check out the redness on this chimps ash
Old 01-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

I got this a while back from a Dominican Cohiba, I asked about it on another forum and only got smart ass replies. It's hard to see in the pic, but I did take some. It looked like the wrapper was powdered with something pink or reddish that didn't show until it was smoked. You can see it best on the part of the ash that is still connected to the cigar. Iron can show up red when oxidized (think rust) so whatever caused it, either the soil or something that was sprayed on the leaf, it probably had some kind of iron content that wound up on the cigar, only showing up once it was oxidized (burned).

Last edited by akumushi; 01-24-2011 at 07:14 PM.
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

My gut would say its a leaf's mineral content, but I'm no botanist. Could it maybe be due to incomplete combustion to a degree?
Posted via Mobile Device
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #19
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIMPS View Post
I vote for the label ink running.
Nah, suppose it's possible but I just don't think that is what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Some years back I purchased a box of Flor de A. Allones Favoritas. I smoked the first one out of the box while walking about waiting for my Easter ham to cook. The ash, swear to God, was pink.

Maybe it was minerals in the soil, maybe it was a consequence of the holiday season, or maybe it was because I was puffing on an empty stomach. Still, I swear to this day it was pink. So if you say that's yours was red, I believe you brother.
Awesome. I'm not crazy afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
I got this a while back from a Dominican Cohiba, I asked about it on another forum and only got smart ass replies. It's hard to see in the pic, but I did take some. It looked like the wrapper was powdered with something pink or reddish that didn't show until it was smoked. You can see it best on the part of the ash that is still connected to the cigar. Iron can show up red when oxidized (think rust) so whatever caused it, either the soil or something that was sprayed on the leaf, it probably had some kind of iron content that wound up on the cigar, only showing up once it was oxidized (burned).
Clayton, unless your picture just isn't doing it justice, my situation was way more severe than this. But I do see what you're talking about. This ash was vivid pinkish red. And your explanation makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
My gut would say its a leaf's mineral content, but I'm no botanist. Could it maybe be due to incomplete combustion to a degree?
Posted via Mobile Device
I think this is the explanation we'll agree on for now. Just weird that it wasn't the whole cigar. Only about the first inch and the last two or so.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Ritchie,

I saw it one time on a PSD4. I'd compare it to a light brick red tint. Kind of cool, and the BEST PSD I've ever had. Wish I knew which ones were going to do it.