Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #81
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cigar Aficionado..top 10 of 2010...

awesome..good to see Viaje on that list.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #82
Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r View Post
Ive tried all but #6, and they all were great! Also I never put any stock into CAs top 10s because they are not I. To quote another fine member here on Cigar Asylum. "Smoke what you like, and enjoy it."

I don't put stock into it either but the La Aroma Mi Amor is fabulous.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #83
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
One maduro in the top ten?? Come on man!!!
Personal preference.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #84
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Sure, same thing Spectator claims

Yet, I am not aware of ANY wine they actually buy save in some extreme cases (and to be honest can't think of one right now). I am also not aware of ANY wine not submitted and getting a review, basically if someone doesn't want to be reviewed they simply don't provide wine, Spectator does not go out and buy that wine (same for Advocate, BTW, no matter what Parker claims, personal experience as well). Spectator sends their tasting schedule out at the end of the year for next year's dates, to ensure wineries send the wines in on time.

I am 99.9% sure this is how Aficionado operates as well, the model has been established by Spectator for them.
WayneR provided a link where one of the reviewers in, Mott Gordon, might be the head of the panel, took offense to all the accusations about them being influenced by big dollar advertisements. You should take a look. He explained in details how they buy the cigars themselves, smoke unbanded, and in the same environment as much as possible.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #85
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I heard that the Behike 52 was a good stick by some but many others have panned it. I wonder how such a stick can become #1...
Did you wonder the same about Casa Magna?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #86
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

Its odd that Aficionado proclaimed 2010 as the "Year of the Cuban Cigar," but only three cigars from Cuba mad it onto the top 25.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #87
Nathan King

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
Its odd that Aficionado proclaimed 2010 as the "Year of the Cuban Cigar," but only three cigars from Cuba mad it onto the top 25.
They claimed that because the cigars that did make the list had a touch of the wonderful Cuban taste of the '90's. Apparently things are looking up for Cuba.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #88
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
WayneR provided a link where one of the reviewers in, Mott Gordon, might be the head of the panel, took offense to all the accusations about them being influenced by big dollar advertisements. You should take a look. He explained in details how they buy the cigars themselves, smoke unbanded, and in the same environment as much as possible.
They MAY be buying some cigars since price wise it may allow them the luxury to do so IF THEY BUY SINGLES. Wine wise, there is no way in hell they can purchase 2 bottles of each (their minimum requirement) and stay in business. No one can. Parker and his similar claims included...

I can check, but I am sure that cigar manufacturers send them boxes of cigars instead of singles for easier and safer shipping (damage wise). Look at their back pages' "old stock" reviews. Do you really think they buy singles? It would create a nightmare for them just to store singles and keep track of and if they store boxes (as I bet they do to keep the whole thing sane, alpha system of storage, easier handling with no damage to cigars when they re-stock/buy new cigars, etc.), then same as with wine they cannot afford to buy cigars they test.

No, I do not produce cigars and no, I have no proof of their cigar review process, but based on my PERSONAL experience with their wine side (which cigars' side is based upon), I can assure you that their claims are questionable, at best, no matter what they say in public.

For example, their claim of "unbanded" cigars. As I already pointed out somewhere above, there is a good number of cigars that don't need a band to be easily recognized (Padron anyone?, some perfectos, there are other shapes and wrappers that easily give out the cigar), so their claims are half valid to begin with even for unbanded cigars. Cigars are not like wine, when they pour some in glass and place it in front of you, and you only see the color of wine and that's it (and vintage as well, which is usually given up front). For someone looking at cigars daily as a job, band is not much needed to recognize a stick in many cases.

I've observed their main wine guy in a blind tasting. Not impressed at all and his TRUE blind scores (since I controlled the tasting set up and made really blind with each and every wine decanted into same shape/size bottle prior) were pretty much opposite to what was printed in the magazine for same wines and producers. He later admitted to that in his wine blog, kudos to him for coming clean, that took guts.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #89
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
[about comparing wine and cigars blind tasting]
You seem to know a lot about wine tasting process and very convinced about it's similarity with cigar tasting process. I have no experience with both (blind tasting) so I won't debate you about it. However, I have no reason to disprove of what Mott Gordon said either besides the "they give high marks to advertisers" theory.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #90
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I think they got it right this time.... well at least close.
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #91
BryanB
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (58)
VR
BryanB has a spectacular aura aboutBryanB has a spectacular aura about

Never going to please everyone. I agree with some but not others. I was pleased to see Viaje finally getting some attention. I don't think any Camacho belongs in the top 50.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #92
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
I don't think any Camacho belongs in the top 50.
I really don't get all the Camacho hate. Its fine if they're not to your tastes, but they're certainly very high quality cigars. I get that Honduran tobacco isn't everyone's favorite, but to those that enjoy it the Camacho Corojo is a great cigar(imo).
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #93
BryanB
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (58)
VR
BryanB has a spectacular aura aboutBryanB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
I really don't get all the Camacho hate. Its fine if they're not to your tastes, but they're certainly very high quality cigars. I get that Honduran tobacco isn't everyone's favorite, but to those that enjoy it the Camacho Corojo is a great cigar(imo).
I use to love Camachos. Not sure what happen. It's probably my taste buds but they taste flat now. Maybe I should revisit the corojo.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #94
RyanCuad

their top 10 isn't bad, but their 11-25 is horrendous
Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #95
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

50 different people would have 50 different lists.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke....who gives a rat's ass about CA's list anyway?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #96
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
50 different people would have 50 different lists.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke....who gives a rat's ass about CA's list anyway?
Is that said tongue in cheek? I'm not sure with the ROFL smilie and all.

The majority of people who would smoke a cigar would care about the CA list. Vendors, B&M's and the manufacturer's themselves care greatly about it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #97
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post

The majority of people who would smoke a cigar would care about the CA list. Vendors, B&M's and the manufacturer's themselves care greatly about it.
Not sure who the majority is. But at least in my circle of cigar friends, very rarely someone is influenced by what is on the CA list. They are set on what they like to smoke. They might try another cigar once in a while, but most of the time, they will smoke their regular cigar.

The cigar shop I hang out will see a few new comers asking for the cigars from the CA list. Being a small shop, the owner will rarely deviate from his best seller and go out stock boxes of what's in the CA Top 25 list.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #98
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I used to, when I first started smoking and was trying everything. Now I see it and laugh most of the time.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #99
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:

I can understand why vendors, B&Ms and the manufacturer's themselves would care greatly about it, Wayne.

Cigar smokers? Not so much.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #100
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
Not sure who the majority is. But at least in my circle of cigar friends, very rarely someone is influenced by what is on the CA list. They are set on what they like to smoke. They might try another cigar once in a while, but most of the time, they will smoke their regular cigar.

The cigar shop I hang out will see a few new comers asking for the cigars from the CA list. Being a small shop, the owner will rarely deviate from his best seller and go out stock boxes of what's in the CA Top 25 list.
While I agree that some and most who participate on forums will care less, we are in the minority as far as the overall cigar market is concerned. Furthermore, most B&M's that I have been to will display ratings from cigar mag or CA on the box itself.