Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
mrreindeer

Default PIO Overture 1996 No. 2.....is no Peeeeeuwww......

I found myself in San Francisco a few weeks ago on a business trip as I intended to remind my clients that I still exist and was sitting out on the balcony of my hotel room on the top floor one Sunday afternoon after a lunch of chicken Shwarma from this great little place not too far away called Oasis. As the current state of our poor economy weighed heavily on my mind & heart (yours too, I’m sure), I considered (not really) hurling myself over onto the Streets of San Francisco, expecting that, naturally, Karl Malden & Michael Douglas would find me and investigate my tragic & untimely death.

Instead of going through with it, I reached for a PIO VI Torpedo.

Name: PIO Overture 1996 No. 2
Country of Origin: USA (Miami)
Size: 6 x 52 (Torpedo)
Filler: Brazil, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
Binder: Ecuador
Wrapper: 12-year old Ecuadorian

This sucker was a pretty cigar, dark, veiny & brooding (how appropriate), that displayed nice, solid construction.

I whipped out my trusty Xikar cutter and the thing sliced through the beautiful cigar like a hot knife through butter.

Prelight draw was easy and tasted of leather.

It was 2:10pm, 57 degrees outside on a beautifully clear, San Franciscan winter day amd I was drinking water, not vodka.

The cigar lit unevenly at first (probably my fault as I scanned the nearby balconies & rooftops for ‘Naked Happy Girls’: http://www.reuters.com/article/press...08+PRN20080107 and didn’t pay the necessary attention to lighting properly) but then evened out and the first taste from the lit cigar that hit my palate was something spicy and the cigar gave off a nice, nutty aroma.

I’m not sure if it was the wind or not but the ash didn’t hold too well and fell off in little bits at times. This didn’t really bother me, I’m just stating the facts. If you want your ash to hang on like a cat dangling from a branch, well, this might bother you. The ash was like dirty snow, more grey to dark grey with a tinge of brown; definitely not white.

The cigar gave off nice wafts of billowing smoke which I enjoyed as I tried to shut out the annoying sound of the damn car alarm going off below me.

As I continued to enjoy my afternoon smoking this cigar, I noticed that it would slightly tunnel on occasion but would quickly correct itself.

The ash continued to flake off in bits and the cigar went out on me once but relit easily.

And then it went out on me again at the beginning of the 2nd 1/3.

3rd relight was at 3:05pm and I don’t think it was due to a lack of attention. Honest.

4th relight was at 3 : 20pm so this sucker’s got some legs (and I’m a slow smoker) but I started getting a little frustrated.

At 3:30pm, the cigar went out again and I gave up as the thing started getting a little bitter.

Overall, despite some burn issues, I’d say this cigar had some decent flavor and I’d certainly give it another shot. I’d just hope the burn issues were unique to being in San Francisco. While I can never tell you the actual flavors I taste in a cigar, other than the leathery taste during the prelight inspection and the spiciness I noted on the initial light of this one, I can tell you this cigar was medium-bodied.

Thank you for reading!

(And I'd like to give a shout out and special thanks to MithShrike (Matt) of Tex Cigars for supplying this cigar! Thanks bro!)

Last edited by mrreindeer; 02-20-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
mrreindeer

Default Re: PIO Overture 1996 No. 2.....is no Peeeeeuwww..

More pictures....

Last edited by mrreindeer; 02-20-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
ChicagoWhiteSox

nice review and sweet pics
Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

great pics. nice review
Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Nice location for a smoke.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

Great review and great spot.
Enjoyed our time in San Fran. Had a nice smoke at Cigar Bar and Grill after burning my tongue off with some Hunan food.
http://www.cigarbarandgrill.com/
Also grabbed a couple of house sticks from a place down near the aquarium that your post reminded me I haven't tried yet. Best dig one out and give it a shot.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
mrreindeer

Thanks guys....GWN...I've been to that Cigar Bar & Grill before and liked it (great mojitos!). My only problem with that joint is that they wouldn't let 'ya smoke inside at all, even while playing pool, but the patio was definitely nice enough. This trip, I hit up the Occidental Cigar Club, a small bar on Pine in the Financial District and enjoyed a smoke and drinks there (and we were able to smoke inside!)

I especially liked the sign over the toilet in the bathroom that read something like : "Ladies, please leave the seat UP when you're done. Thank you."
Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Nice review David but for crying out loud, Water? Where's the scotch man? Where is the F*****g scotch?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Nice review David but for crying out loud, Water? Where's the scotch man? Where is the F*****g scotch?
Hahahaha....I know, I know....but you know, since Matt was supplying the cigars specifically for me to review, his only request was that I didn't inhibit the flavors of the cigar by introducing any other flavors like with Scotch, Tequila...peppermnt patty's....thus the water.

Besides, I'm saving the Scotch binge for tonight; the inlaws are takin' us out for ma bday.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Great review David. Great way to spend time on a business trip.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Hey Dave, are you a physician? You could write me a prescription with that chicken scratch!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysguitar View Post
Hey Dave, are you a physician? You could write me a prescription with that chicken scratch!
Seriously, right???

As I've gotten older, my notes have gotten less & less legible....even to me.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Hahahaha....I know, I know....but you know, since Matt was supplying the cigars specifically for me to review, his only request was that I didn't inhibit the flavors of the cigar by introducing any other flavors like with Scotch, Tequila...peppermnt patty's....thus the water.

Besides, I'm saving the Scotch binge for tonight; the inlaws are takin' us out for ma bday.
Well happy B-day!! I called you yesterday to say hey.Hope you had a great B-day and great weekend. Call me later!