Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough
Default What's most important when rating a cigar?

With the CA ratings recently past I've been talking with a lot of people about magazine ratings, online ratings, reviews, etc. All of the systems have pros and cons (well not all of them - some just suck) but I was curious what everyone else thinks.

Looking at the factors below, what order would you put them in when rating a cigar? To take it a step further - how would you rate each of those factors as a percentage (X of 100) of the overall score?

Just curious to see how the average cigar smoker would do this.

- Flavor
- Construction
- Appearance
- Burn
- Price
Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's most important when rating a cigar?

Flavor
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post
With the CA ratings recently past I've been talking with a lot of people about magazine ratings, online ratings, reviews, etc. All of the systems have pros and cons (well not all of them - some just suck) but I was curious what everyone else thinks.

Looking at the factors below, what order would you put them in when rating a cigar? To take it a step further - how would you rate each of those factors as a percentage (X of 100) of the overall score?

Just curious to see how the average cigar smoker would do this.

- Flavor
- Construction
- Appearance
- Burn
- Price
For me, price relates to value and has nothing to do with the cigar itself. I would also put Burn as part of construction (storage conditions can have an effect on burn).

For me, 75% flavor. 20% construction. Appearance 5%. I don't care very much about appearance. One of my favorite smokes, H. Upmann Naturales, are ugly buggers but are a divine smoke.

My YMMV.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
For me, price relates to value and has nothing to do with the cigar itself. I would also put Burn as part of construction (storage conditions can have an effect on burn).

For me, 75% flavor. 20% construction. Appearance 5%. I don't care very much about appearance. One of my favorite smokes, H. Upmann Naturales, are ugly buggers but are a divine smoke.

My YMMV.
I was curious to see how much appearance played in. When we're looking at cigars in the store or pics on the internet it's easy to let appearance make us drool, but some cigars I really enjoy look like they may have been rolled by monkeys.

Price and value are the same IMO. At some cigars may be a great value at $10.00 and others are overpriced at $5.00.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

It's all about flavor. If a cigar tastes great, I will happily deal with burn issues.
Price to me is only an issue in that if a cigar is too expensive for my budget, I won't buy it. There's way too many good, cheap smokes out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post
I was curious to see how much appearance played in. When we're looking at cigars in the store or pics on the internet it's easy to let appearance make us drool, but some cigars I really enjoy look like they may have been rolled by monkeys.

Price and value are the same IMO. At some cigars may be a great value at $10.00 and others are overpriced at $5.00.

Thanks for the input!
I agree Tim. But when "rating" a cigar, I don't consider price. Different retailers charge different prices. It's not a constant and the cigar does not change if I paid $5, $8, or $50 for it.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Personally I'd rate construction first. If it's tight, plugged, whatever, any enjoyment I might get is gone. A so so cigar that smokes well does me a lot more good than a flavor powerhouse I can't smoke. I agree with Peter that burn is a facet of construction.

Then comes flavor. Good flavor is the deciding factor as to what I buy.

Cost comes next. Not affordability so much as value for the money.

Appearance I could care less about. I'm not trying to impress anyone, and a rough looking cigar doesn't bother me at all.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
It's all about flavor. If a cigar tastes great, I will happily deal with burn issues.
Price to me is only an issue in that if a cigar is too expensive for my budget, I won't buy it. There's way too many good, cheap smokes out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
My thoughts exactly

I like the 75/20/5 system too pnoon.

I don't smoke cigars cause they burn nicely, I smoke cigars because they TASTE good

aj
Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
pnoon
YNWA

RA

But Bill makes a good point that if a cigar is not constructed well (burn, plugged, etc.) any enjoyment from flavor is greatly reduced or eliminated.

A couple of years ago, I was gifted an 83 Cohiba Lancero by a very generous BOTL. When I fired that puppy up, I could tell I had a real flavor treat ahead of me. Lo and behold, the stick was plugged. I worked and worked on it to try and loosen it up - to no avail. I had to pitch it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
But Bill makes a good point that if a cigar is not constructed well (burn, plugged, etc.) any enjoyment from flavor is greatly reduced or eliminated.
On the other hand, who cares if a cigar is perfectly constructed if it tastes like ass?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Flavor, flavor, flavor. Did I mention flavor? Only when the construction is absolutely deplorable, like when the cigar unravels or is a tent pole, will those factor in, but then, I usually don't even bother rating those cigars until I can find a specimen that does smoke well. Appearance means nothing to me, as some of the best cigars I'm smoked have been butt ugly.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

When I read the reviews I usually ignore the number rating system people use. I am more interested in the description of the cigar and the experience the reviewer had.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
When I read the reviews I usually ignore the number rating system people use. I am more interested in the description of the cigar and the experience the reviewer had.
A review that says something like "Flavor: 8.9/10" is pretty worthless IMO, unless the reviewer also describes the flavors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
A review that says something like "Flavor: 8.9/10" is pretty worthless IMO, unless the reviewer also describes the flavors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Still waiting on that review of the Havana Night Club.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Still waiting on that review of the Havana Night Club.
I'm pretty sure it would be lower than 8.9.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't weight burn much, God gave us lighters for a reason andi don't mind using them (to an extent).
Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 AM   #17
Addiction

I think in terms of flavor, apperence, value, construction and then overall experience which is just some **** I made up lol. The ones that matter the most, if I had rto rank them are Flavor, Construction and Value.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Without a doubt...FLAVOR!!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
On the other hand, who cares if a cigar is perfectly constructed if it tastes like ass?
Quote:
This is why rating a cigar is tough -- great flavor and poor construction OR great construction and poor flavor both make for a bad cigar.

Flavor and construction are very tightly coupled when reviewing a cigar, but I would put flavor first as you can ususally do something about a plugged cigar or a pealing wrapper.

(BTW, Tom -- how do you know what ass tastes like???)
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #20
rlmedic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
rlmedic is on a distinguished road

I have to put draw up there with flavor....if its like sucking a golf ball through the garden hose it could have the best flavor in the world but I will not want to smoke it
rlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote