Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
Veatorious will become famous soon enough
Default Sad day, conflicted

So, my allergies have become just horrible as of late. So bad that I am even getting headaches and every time I talk on a conference call or on the phone I get asked if I am sick. In fact even asthma started to become a daily issue. So after trying for a month to figure out what the heck is going on around my house, work, food intake, etc it comes down to one core contributor.... CIGARS. WTF, really....

I started to kick this hobby in high gear about 4 months ago, well that's when my body started to react. Nose, eyes, and the asthma (all allergy driven). Wasn't too bad at first, but noticeable. But now after I smoke a cigar, I go days with a stuffed up nose, breathing issues and itchy throat.

I love this hobby, love cigars, love talking about cigars, buying cigars, giving cigars away, and just sharing the love of this hobby with friends. But my health is more of a priority. Especially since I am only 32 years old.

I am conflicted, as my collection just got really interesting. I built my wineador, tracked down some awesome Liga's and Tats along with various other highly regarded sticks.... became a Cigar Zombie (most important). All to receive this news....

Time to think out my next move. ((((Thanks for the rant))))
Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (0)
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sad day, conflicted

Have you looked into allergy shots? They might help and are typically covered by insurance.
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
Have you looked into allergy shots? They might help and are typically covered by insurance.
Hoping this may be a solution. The doc has concerns more about the asthma component. I have always had allergies, but seasonal. Managed them with shots when younger, pills within the last couple of years. I am even willing to reduce the volume of smoking if shots bring me back to a more tolerable level.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Ryan, do you sit outside for extended periods of time when you smoke? Or do you mostly smoke inside?

The reason I ask is my father had the same thing happen to him about 3 years ago. He thought he was going to give up cigars, but finally realized that the long periods outside were making his allergies go off the charts.

I hope it isn't the cigars that's messing with you, brother.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo View Post
Ryan, do you sit outside for extended periods of time when you smoke? Or do you mostly smoke inside?

The reason I ask is my father had the same thing happen to him about 3 years ago. He thought he was going to give up cigars, but finally realized that the long periods outside were making his allergies go off the charts.

I hope it isn't the cigars that's messing with you, brother.
Mostly outside Jarrod. We discussed some of the elements like grass, hay, trees, etc. But with winter being the season most of these elements are contained or not in bloom (covered in snow).

I even asked if my dog could be a contributor. I am hoping to try shot treatments and spark one up and see what the outcome is.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Malakai
The Anti-Dennis

First Name: John
Trading: (34)
RA
Malakai will become famous soon enoughMalakai will become famous soon enough

If you went through the same shots I did when younger where you went like once a week, then once every two weeks, once a month etc... The tolerance built up only lasts somewhere between 10-15 years or something like that according to what I recall from my Doc. I noticed the last couple years I was getting really bad allergies and couldn't figure it out. Went late last year to the Doc and got re-tested for allergies at which time they mentioned my immunity which kept my symptoms at a minimum or non-existent for many years had run its course and I was advised to start back with the shots in order to get free of the nasal spray and claritin/zyrtec routine of trying to keep the allergies in check which I had been using. I have yet to get back on the shots but my plan is to get on them soon because I suffer from the same things you mentioned above I just haven't done it due to the weekly commitment and work, my shot cost is actually covered under my health plan believe it or not. I wish you the best of luck and hope this might be some info you can use. Oh yea...they say if you get on shots it takes about 6-8 months to really see your symptoms be at a minimum so if you do go this route, by the time you should test it out your sticks will be better aged.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
Veatorious
Adjusting to the Life

Montecristo

Great feedback, John. I am going to bring this up with the doc. As many things you mentioned are similar to me.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Don't have any advice for you, Ryan, but I wish you the best in getting this figured out in whatever way is best for you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I think you should grow a pair, put on your big boy pants and quit whining about a stuffy nose and a cough and go fire up a JdN Antano like a MAN!!!!

I kid, I kid...hope it all works out for ya bro. If need be just send me those evil cigars that are causing so many health issues, I will properly destry them for ya
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Ryan, one other set of allergies to consider right now (even -- especially -- outside) are molds. Some go dormant during the cold weather and others don't and can be spread by wind, etc.

In any case, as Tom said I wish you the best!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

Hope you and your doc can figure this one out. Good luck man.
AUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

it might be related to the season. I know my ex wife's asthma used to get out of control during the cold months. Lets pray is not the cigars
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

My wife gets the shots and it makes a world of difference. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ryan, bottom line is you gotta take care of you. Best of luck in your decision/solution hunt.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Damn this sucks brother. But do what you gotta do. Best of luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Best of luck sorry to hear about this.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Ryan, bottom line is you gotta take care of you. Best of luck in your decision/solution hunt.

25,970 posts and I think Mac finally had a good one.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

good luck with this brother. This has suck....

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #19
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Hopefully it will resolve soon and get the info you need bro.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #20
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

If it's a true allergy then I'd say it's a smoke allergy but get tested just in case it's tobacco related. If it is tobacco related you might have options via shots but more likely you'd have to give it up. A smoke allergy can also be treated but more likely you'd only have to slow down your intake dramatically. Another option is it could be a sensitivity to chemical properties in the tobacco and if it's something like that then you can build an immunity to that eventually. Asthma might be possible but only if you're dealing with inflammation on top of the congestion. No matter what it may be for you just go and see an allergist asap. I know people hate the doctor but all a doctor is gonna give is an opinion which doesn't hurt at all. Good luck brother!