Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
ahc4353

Default Re: CA Hunting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fissure View Post
Man Al, you lived very close to me (assuming you hunted close to where you live).....scary I am just north of there about 15-20 miles. There is some big bucks running around, you just have to be able to hunt the private property they are on.
I was lucky. I have a friend that knew a guy with 650 acres just for us.

I lived in Brighton actually. Great place.

I can still see that 220+ lb. buck bounding away from me with that heavy dark mahogany rack wider than his ears if you were to put um flat out sideways, 10" G2's, 4" dog killers and main beams out to his nose. Yep, I can hardly remember him after 15 years.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #22
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Plan on going out tonight again if the wind is right. I'm looking for Mr. Wallhanger # 2 for the year. I don't plan on shooting the small ones since I don't need the meat. Too bad deer can smell or else I'd smoke a stick on stand.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #23
skyhigh340

Looks like some nice successful hunts! I'm glad to see the PRK hasn't banned hunting yet!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I think I might sneak out of work early today and bow hunt for just the second time this year. Nice cool fall day, lucky enough to hunt the land across the street from where I live....change it to "I will sneak out...."
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #25
theycallmedan'lboone

I have to find a good, inexpensive feral hog hunting gun... I was told .223 ain't enough.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #26
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
I have to find a good, inexpensive feral hog hunting gun... I was told .223 ain't enough.
Don't know much about hog hunting...but I'd think a Savage in 30-06 would do the trick.

Isn't a lot of hog hunting done up close? I'd think regular old Rem 870 or Moss 500 with slugs would do the trick. I've got a 870 smoothbore shooting Brenneke slugs and I'm very happy with it out to just under 100 yards.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Plan on going out tonight again if the wind is right. I'm looking for Mr. Wallhanger # 2 for the year. I don't plan on shooting the small ones since I don't need the meat. Too bad deer can smell or else I'd smoke a stick on stand.
Funny thing, smoking.

My old hunting club had about a dozen cajuns in it. Oren (the elder of the bunch) ALWAYS smoked on the stand/shooting house/blind (which ever he was in). Man killed more deer in the club than any two members put together. Jeremy and myself helped him hunt down several wounded ones. Orin was color blind and could not pick out the red blood on the leaves. As a results, he usually used a .300 mag so they didn't run after they were hit!

Don't know how Orin got away with smoking, but it did not seem to impede his ability to spot and kill deer.

BTW, before anyone gets offended by "cajun", this is what they preferred. And, they WERE cajun, not just from Louisiana, but from deep in, and most of hem in our club came from the coastal areas and they all worked in the oil business?!!?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #28
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I think I might sneak out of work early today and bow hunt for just the second time this year. Nice cool fall day, lucky enough to hunt the land across the street from where I live....change it to "I will sneak out...."
I was able to get out. After 2+ hours of seeing nothing, a scrubby looking buck popped out about 10 minutes before dusk. Kind of hard to see him, but I'm guessing he was a funky four pointer. I put my binoculars on him at about 100 yds. but couldn't get a good luck with such little light.

At least I saw something!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #29
compuag
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Justin
Trading: (6)
VR
compuag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post

Depends on where you place the shot. I had the opportunity to take an 11yr old hunting on Monday and he took a 275lb boar from 100 yards with a .223. I would have called BS on anyone who told me that this was possible if I hadn't have seen it with my own eyes. He hit him right behind the ear and dropped him like a ton of bricks.
compuag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #30
compuag
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Justin
Trading: (6)
VR
compuag is on a distinguished road

I was fortunate enough to take this guy on Tuesday morning. He has 14pts and scored 176 7/8 after a 5pt deduction. All of the area we hunt is low fenced land and this buck hadn't been seen before. Just goes to show you, you really never know what is actually out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_003.jpg (112.3 KB, 225 views)
compuag is offline   Reply With Quote