Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Private cigar lounge

I have a membership ($500 a year) and let me say, it's a HUGE benefit for me when I don't want to smoke outside (hot, cold, wet, hotter) or when I feel like shooting some pool, tossing the darts, or just having some quiet time alone. With 24/7 access, internet, coffee maker, and a few other amenities, and it's a great man-cave place to relax.

I don't stay up to 3am, but I like the fact that there's hardly anyone there after 9, so I can show up for a few hours and read and smoke indoors, or I can show up Saturday mornings at 8 for the regular weekly poker game.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
I have a membership ($500 a year)
Thinking of some of the things I spend 40-50 a month on this would easily be worth it.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

I'm a member of my local B&M's "havana room" (it is like $350 a year). For that you get:

Discounts on sticks, bigger discount on boxes
Access to the members only lounge (i've only been in there about 3 times...i like hanging out with the commoners more)
Free dinner and a cigar (usually whatever they can't sell) every Thursday night.

The dinner alone makes it worth it for me. The discount alone makes it worth it for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

If you live somwhere that the weather is favorable, I would say it is not worth paying for. However I wish there was a place near me, or on my way home from work, that I could stop in and burn one when it is below 50 out or when it is 90 and humid.

There is a place about an hour away (Too far for me to join) and it is $200/year and you receive 10% off all cigars, you have a locker and a members only area. Another one is much closer but they do not take care of their sticks and the crowd is people I would rather avoid. They do offer BYOB and 24 hour access though, that is tempting.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

It would have to be pretty deluxe and allow for private functions and byob for me to consider it, and I probably would sign up for it. I find it hard to host cigar and booze events for enough people in my house, so a club would be perfect!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #26
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Ya know, I never understood the concept of paying for a b&m membership, but 24/7 access, discounts on cigars has me thinking......I don't know any b&m's in my area though that has 24/7 access, and with as much sh!t the wife is giving me lately, a locker is starting to sound more and more appealling.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Ya know, I never understood the concept of paying for a b&m membership, but 24/7 access, discounts on cigars has me thinking......I don't know any b&m's in my area though that has 24/7 access, and with as much sh!t the wife is giving me lately, a locker is starting to sound more and more appealling.
I generally felt the same way, but over time I warmed up to the idea of a membership when I started to realize how much comfort it would bring me. After I tried it for 1 month (there's a $50/month option instead of by the year), I realized I'd rather drive 5 minutes to go smoke in a real nice comfortable area than sit on my patio or at a bar, or any other option I had in the past.

Of course, I'm also single and I work 8-5, so my nights are my own if I want to sit and smoke for a few hours 3-4 times a week.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I have to say that since i cannot smoke in my house (wife and all) i would like to have a closer B&M with a lounge. I have one but its okay just a few chairs in a back room. I would pay for the use of a room. ALTHOUGH it would have to be a F-ING awesome room. and i would not would not pay more then $200 a year.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #29
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Is this Fox? I honestly can't say I would see much that would persuade me to pay the yearly membership fee. Mostly because I don't buy boxes at B&M's and I already utilize their bar. So they would have to have some really solid membership benefits for me to sign up
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Is this Fox? I honestly can't say I would see much that would persuade me to pay the yearly membership fee. Mostly because I don't buy boxes at B&M's and I already utilize their bar. So they would have to have some really solid membership benefits for me to sign up
Yep, in the space on the other side of the patio. I'm kind of in the same boat. We'll see what you get for your money.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I asked the bartender Amanda if she had any more info and she didn't really know any details, but she did seem to think the membership will cost $15/mo. This piques my interest as that's pretty dang affordable. Almost seems too good to be true so I don't quite trust that's accurate yet.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #32
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

It seems the norm of mid-level shops around here (metro Atlanta excluding Buckhead) is to have lounge areas open to the public and charge for lockers/discount/members-events at around $300/year. One of these actually uses the bulk of the front-of-house as the lounge, with a large walk-in in the very back.

Two of the three I frequent allow you to smoke prior-purchases as long as you can show their bar-code on the wrapper if they ask to see it (not sure what they do on non-celo or sealed box purchases). The third even told me they were lenient on outside purchases as long as you made purchases with them fairly regularly as well.

There's only one mid-level store I frequent with a mainly members-only room priced at a similar $300/year, but they also give you a one-use pass with a $20 purchase that can be redeemed any time within 30 days.

All of the above with paid membership include a locker (usually 12"x12"x18", brass key), discounts of 10% on singles and 15-20% on boxes, and members-only events (range from weekly poker-night, early-access on rep-sponsored events, cook-outs, etc).
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #33
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

It seems the norm of mid-level shops around here (metro Atlanta excluding Buckhead) is to have lounge areas open to the public and charge for lockers/discount/members-events at around $300/year. One of these actually uses the bulk of the front-of-house as the lounge, with a large walk-in in the very back.

Two of the three I frequent allow you to smoke prior-purchases as long as you can show their bar-code on the wrapper if they ask to see it (not sure what they do on non-celo or sealed box purchases). The third even told me they were lenient on outside purchases as long as you made purchases with them fairly regularly as well.

There's only one mid-level store I frequent with a mainly members-only room priced at a similar $300/year, but they also give you a one-use pass with a $20 purchase that can be redeemed any time within 30 days.

All of the above with paid membership include a locker (usually 12"x12"x18", brass key), discounts of 10% on singles and 15-20% on boxes, and members-only events (range from weekly poker-night, early-access on rep-sponsored events, cook-outs, etc).
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #34
FNA
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
FNA is on a distinguished road

A couple of questions:

What is the difference between a cigar bar and a cigar lounge?

How do the 24/7 places work it? Do they have an attendant on duty all night? I can't imagine the insurance on 'Our customers come in after drinking all night and light things on fire."
FNA is offline   Reply With Quote