Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
boonedoggle
The Search is ON

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (19)
RA AirForce (Active)
boonedoggle will become famous soon enough
Default 2001: A Space Odyssey revisited

Ok, I love Stanley Kubrick's work. He is a very meticulous movie maker who makes challenging, hard to understand flicks. I watched this movie again yesterday for the 3rd time. I watched the movie long ago, and I though it was stupid and a waste of film. After years, I thought there had to be something to all the great reviews and people claiming this as the "Best movie of all time". So, I tried again yesterday. I still had trouble wrapping my head around it, but went to several websites that kind of help unwind the meaning and the purposes of the points in the movie. I won't get into any spoilers or anything, because my head might explode. If nothing else, it sure got me thinking more about the movie and has me wanting to see it again. If you've not seen it, make sure you are EXTREMELY open minded and cast away your expectations of what you think it might be about until after it is over. what?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey revisited

My theory about "brilliant" and "Genius" films and filmmakers is that they also have a sense of humor.
Kubrick intentionally made 2001 as a weird, waste of film that had no meaning. When the reviewers saw it, naturally they didn't understand it but couldn't let their readers know that!
So they had to proclaim it was the most brilliant movie they had ever seen and if the readers didn't understand it well that just proves how much more erudite the reviewer was.
2001 was a waste of film. There is no hidden meaning. I sat through philosophy class in college while the professor explained everything that was going on while I was thinking, "That isn't it at all! There is nothing being explained!" But I wanted a grade so....

Ikiru is a brilliant movie.
Unforgiven is a brilliant movie.
Seven Samurai is a brilliant movie.
The Searchers is a brilliant movie.
2001 sucks.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedoggle View Post
Ok, I love Stanley Kubrick's work. He is a very meticulous movie maker who makes challenging, hard to understand flicks.
Like "Full Metal Jacket"? What's so hard to understand about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Nf1MK7lts

"The Thin Red Line", on the other hand, now THAT was hard to understand!