Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project of the Day : New Computer

I started building a new computer for myself a couple days ago. We've been super busy with the holiday and appointments and my "building shelves in the garage" project and stuff, so I've only gotten to beat on this thing for an hour here, an hour there.

At this point, I've jammed most of the components in her. Some of the brothers here were a big help picking out components, my shopping list is right here.
Basically, it's a six core AMD, 9.8TB, 16GB RAM, dual PSU monster in the sweetest full tower aluminum chassis I've ever seen. If I can't take over the world with this rig, it can't be taken over. Period.

Right now I'm daisy-chaining the two Corsair 650 watt PSU's together. The tower is too high to use a splice kit that's offered around the net, so I'm doing it by hand, soldering and heat shrinking all my wires. As soon as that's done, I can plug stuff together and see if she'll post.
If she does, then I'll spend hours managing the wires and making them look like something.

I had to take one of the 290mm fans out so the case would accept the second psu, which I'm not happy about, but it was overkill anyways. I may look at modding the case to get it back in there.

Anyways, here's a lousy pic of where I'm at right now. I'll post some decent ones when I get done-ish.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Project of the Day : New Computer

My wiring job worked, and admittedly, I was shocked. I just guessed at how to tie the two psu's together based on a picture of a jumper cable I saw online.
I'm trying to load an operating system on what might be a flaky hard drive right now. I guessed it wasn't really flaky because I found it's sata cable was broke.
Enough blah, I was just checking in and taking a break before I went nuts.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Ha ha. This is gonna be awesome!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough

Now thats a puter! What are you going to use it for? Engineering? Model simulations?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Thats a lot of wires
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTcigars View Post
What are you going to use it for?
The same thing I do every day, Pinky.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

Post on CA
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
Post on CA
Exactly.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

I'm not sure why a man needs 6 hdds, but I'll never question him about it.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
I'm not sure why a man needs 6 hdds, but I'll never question him about it.
If you're serving media to the whole house, storing video, music, pics, etc, it takes no time at all to load up 10TB. This bluray thing makes it even worse.
What is probably the biggest space waster is having the movies, then the divx files (so you can get lots of movies on a single dvd), then the same movie in mp4 format for ipods and the like.
So there's a real simple, everyday reason why a guy would use 6 hdd's. There's lots of others, such as editing large raw hdr files, any kind of video production at all, blah, blah, blah.
I can probably tell you I was a lot happier with a newpaper, cup of coffee, and a cigarette. Times change, though.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget room for the huge a.. coolent driven graphics card for gaming.
Looks great though. Does it glow?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I can probably tell you I was a lot happier with a newpaper, cup of coffee, and a cigarette. Times change, though.

Now that is funny... I feel your pain brother!!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
Don't forget room for the huge a.. coolent driven graphics card for gaming.
Looks great though. Does it glow?
Nope. I'm too old for blue lights and OC'ing anymore. I certainly don't have time for COD anymore, either. That's good though, I'd rather build stuff in the shop and get hurt and things like that. It's way more fun.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

BTcigars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The same thing I do every day, Pinky.
That post is a total win!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

It's giving me a headache installing my OS. Halts after loading files and giving me the starting up message. I'm tired and ready to hit the sack soon. I've tried lots of options insisting it can't possibly be a bad install disc, but that may be the case. I have a few onboard video bios options I can still try, but it ain't going anywhere. I'll get her tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
lostark374
Framed

First Name: Aaron
ERdM
lostark374 has disabled reputation

make sure you have the latest bios flashed to your mainboard and try stripping it to the bare essentials and install the os then add all the other drives and cards and such.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
lostark374
Framed

First Name: Aaron
ERdM
lostark374 has disabled reputation

also if its your install disc you can download a new one since you own a key.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostark374 View Post
make sure you have the latest bios flashed to your mainboard and try stripping it to the bare essentials and install the os then add all the other drives and cards and such.

Yep - I would disconnect all of the hard drives, except your main "c" drive. Reconnect them after the OS is installed.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
swh127
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

If you have any issues, try the forums over at Tom's hardware. They have a great site devoted to build your own pc's
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
If you're serving media to the whole house, storing video, music, pics, etc, it takes no time at all to load up 10TB. This bluray thing makes it even worse.
What is probably the biggest space waster is having the movies, then the divx files (so you can get lots of movies on a single dvd), then the same movie in mp4 format for ipods and the like.
So there's a real simple, everyday reason why a guy would use 6 hdd's. There's lots of others, such as editing large raw hdr files, any kind of video production at all, blah, blah, blah.
I have 14TB on my HTPC... a friend of mine has 26TB on his central media server.

To add to what you said.... You run out of space real quick with blu-rays backups for XBMC, tv shows on RSS feed and FLAC audio.

As it stands I literally have less than half a TB left of space.

Interesting choice with the dual PSU setup
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote