Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #81
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation
Default Re: Interesting random facts.

Lucozade (A British energy drink, first made in the early 20th Century) was prohibited to Muslims until 2004, as it contained 0.01% alcohol. In 2004 The Muslim Council of Great Britain deemed the alcohol (ethanol) would not constitute a Religious Crime if anyone drank it.

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #82
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

The state of Michigan has banned all "alcoholic energy" drinks across the board.

Apparently it is still legal to buy RedBull and Vodka separately. Not sure if they intent to make it illegal to mix them.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #83
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

The phrase "more bang for the buck" was used to describe the United States' New Look policy of depending on nuclear weapons, rather than a large regular army, to keep the Soviet Union in check.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #84
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0eybb View Post
There was a ballot vote to change it this past election.
It failed.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #85
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
The state of Michigan has banned all "alcoholic energy" drinks across the board.

Apparently it is still legal to buy RedBull and Vodka separately. Not sure if they intent to make it illegal to mix them.
The intent was to stop the sale of drinks such as Four Loko, a malt alcohol drink with added caffeine. The FDA ruled caffeine an unsafe additive in alcoholic beverages. It supposedly stemmed from a WA college party where some underage students abused alcohol and then fell ill, imagine that. Apparently the caffeine masks the effects of the alcohol and allows people to become more intoxicated than they feel. I'm sure if the nannies can find a way to prohibit the mix of energy drinks and liquor they will. Its not my cup of tea but I still have a problem with the authorities telling me what I can and can't ingest. What could really suck is if the law translate to no more coffee stouts
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #86
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
The FDA ruled caffeine an unsafe additive in alcoholic beverages.
How are the Irish supposed to drink their coffee?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #87
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I drank a can of four loko a couple nights ago to see what the fuss was about. I guess it's nickname is "blackout in a can". It contains 12% alcohol, and is a 24 oz can. Almost equivalent to drinking a whole bottle of wine. Tastes like a bad wine cooler. I got a HUGE buzz from it, and a tinge of a stomach ache (malt liquor and me don't mix).

Won't buy that again.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #88
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
How are the Irish and Bill supposed to drink their coffee?
Fixed. Mmm Jameson and coffee.

I've yet to try those four loco things but I heard they taste like crap so I had no interest. But I wouldn't like anyone telling me what to drink either.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #89
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I like turtles.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #90
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
I like turtles.
Chocolate + caramel + pecans =
Old 12-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #91
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

President Andrew Jackson is the only president in United States history to have paid off the national debt.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #92
htown
Feeling at Home

Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Just bought some new boat shoes.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #93
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
The intent was to stop the sale of drinks such as Four Loko, a malt alcohol drink with added caffeine. The FDA ruled caffeine an unsafe additive in alcoholic beverages. It supposedly stemmed from a WA college party where some underage students abused alcohol and then fell ill, imagine that. Apparently the caffeine masks the effects of the alcohol and allows people to become more intoxicated than they feel. I'm sure if the nannies can find a way to prohibit the mix of energy drinks and liquor they will. Its not my cup of tea but I still have a problem with the authorities telling me what I can and can't ingest. What could really suck is if the law translate to no more coffee stouts
The state of Michigan banned it. FDA was looking into extending it nationally, but I don't think that has happened yet.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dl...0_337774_7.pdf

It specifically lists the State of Utah's ban, many universities' ban, and a sexual assault on a local 14 year old as part of the justification for the ban.

I'm trying not to get on a soap box and preach, but I'll put it this way: I do not agree with the ban. I understand the intent, but I disagree with their method of "fixing" the problem.

Not to leave this post without a random interesting fact:

Michigan's football program is the winningest in college football history. The Wolverines have won a record 884 games and have an all-time winning percentage of .737, also the best in college football history.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #94
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

Quote:
...a sexual assault on a local 14 year old as part of the justification for the ban.
I'm fairly certain this could be used to justify a general ban on alcohol, no? I would wager several young teenage girls are assaulted by drunk men, with no caffeine involved, every year. I'd also say I'm pretty certain it wasn't the caffeine added to alcohol that caused the assault on the teenage girl in question either. Caffeine doesn't turn me into a paedophile. Well, I don't think it does

Edit: I am assuming it was on a 14yo girl.

Random Fact:

Northern Ireland is experiencing, as a whole coutry, it's worst snow in 25 years. Belfast, which had localised snow storms far worse in 2005, is the only place where this is not the worst snow in 25 years.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #95
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpold View Post
I'm fairly certain this could be used to justify a general ban on alcohol, no?
Yes, that is the end result of their logic. The actions the perp took were already illegal. To assume that perp would not have commited such an act without said substance removes accountability. Perp decided to take whatever substance, then decided to commit a crime.

By similar logic, automobile accidents kill more people every year than any disease. Doctor's mistakes kill more people each year in the USA than guns do. Perhaps we should ban cars and doctors?

Random fact: It is impossible to lick your own elbow, but it is fun to watch people try.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #96
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

Quote:
Yes, that is the end result of their logic. The actions the perp took were already illegal. To assume that perp would not have commited such an act without said substance removes accountability. Perp decided to take whatever substance, then decided to commit a crime.

By similar logic, automobile accidents kill more people every year than any disease. Doctor's mistakes kill more people each year in the USA than guns do. Perhaps we should ban cars and doctors?

Random fact: It is impossible to lick your own elbow, but it is fun to watch people try.
That was my point, exactly. I should maybe have pointed out that alcohol doesn't cause paedophilia either.

Interesting fact: It is legal to shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow from the walls of Chester, at 2am. It is also, technically, still a legal requirement for all Men over the age of 12 to practice archery at their local (itchy?) butts on a Sunday, all over the UK.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #97
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpold View Post
Interesting fact: It is legal to shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow from the walls of Chester, at 2am.
What about at 1:59 or 2:01? Never know when those sneaky Welsh will attack....

Quote:
It is also, technically, still a legal requirement for all Men over the age of 12 to practice archery at their local (itchy?) butts on a Sunday, all over the UK.
Hmm...could this be extrapolated/extended to include rifle practice?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #98
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

On the time: I'm not entirely sure. To be honest, as much as I'd like to, I don't intend to see what would happen, should I decide to stick an arrow through a Welshman at 2am, short of a signed affidavit from the Prime Minister that it would be entirely legal. I could pose the 1:59am question to him when he gives that to me.

On Rifle Practice: No, I believe the law specifcally says with a bow and arrow.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #99
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

Cuaba

In the Middle Ages, Britain had a legal compensation system for murder, and stolen or killed livestock. The lowest compensation in the system was for the murder of a Welshman.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #100
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

US nuclear aircraft carriers can operate continuously for 20 years before refueling.