Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 07-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default opening up a pipe

I've got a pipe that smokes like crap and I'm considering having it opened up to see if that helps the problem. has anyone had this done before and if so did it help? I'm going to have the stem and the pipe both opened up more, I figure less resistance could help the problem, even if it doesn't work whats the worst that can happen a pipe that smokes like crap? we'll I've got that already so i don't see a problem
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: opening up a pipe

I know some people use a drill with a small bit to bore it out... but I can't atest to the safety or efficacy of this
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Benwoo

I believe he said the problem was that his pipe was smoking hot if that helps get an answer
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

I have done this to a few of my pipes with good results. You can pretty much do it yourself unless you aren't comfortable with that. I usually use a 5/32 bit on the stummel into the bowl and a 9/64 on the stem. Idealy if it is a bent stem you would want to straighten it out the re bend it once you have drilled it. Also using a file on the stem instead of a drill is probably a bit safer and harder to F up.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
xapa97

I had an estate pipe that was a mediocre smoker. I sent it out to be cleaned and opened.

The pipe smokes better (fewer relights, more smoke etc.) but I still wouldn't consider it a great smoking pipe. The pipe tobacco still doesn't taste right.

IMHO opening the pipe helps alot with the mechanical aspects of smoking but not as much if the problem is more in the flavor (though I think it helps some).

You're right when you say that you have nothing to loose. Regardles of what happens it will be a learning experience. Keep us posted if you decide to do it.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

i talked to the pipe guy at the shop yesterday and he said this pipe is open about as much as it can be
Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Can you describe what "smokes like crap" means with a little more precision? Won't stay lit? Bowl gets hot? Wet smoker? Gurgles? Has a "whistle" when you blow through it? Bear down - what is it (or they), exactly?

Does it have a stinger on it, Lokes?

Also, does the pipe shop guy have good pipe credentials? Many who sell pipes know practically nothing about them except $MSRP.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Can you describe what "smokes like crap" means with a little more precision? Won't stay lit? Bowl gets hot? Wet smoker? Gurgles? Has a "whistle" when you blow through it? Bear down - what is it (or they), exactly?

Also, does the pipe shop guy have good pipe credentials? Many who sell pipes know practically nothing about them except $MSRP.
Your problem could be with the way you smoke your pipe rather then a problem with the pipe build.

But maybe you are experienced pipe smoker and have covered all the basics first? I think more info would help...
Old 07-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post

smokes hot and kinda felt a little restricted to me and the shape is a cobra the pipe came out of Italy. The smoking hot and feeling restricted where the reasons I was going to have it opened up a bit. No stinger, passes a cleaner, just not happy with how it smokes. Maybe a cake build up will help guess I just have to smoke it.

The pipe guy at the shop is a long time smoker and he's cleaned a few pipes for me. I'm a regular at the shop so he's not going to try and screw me
Old 07-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Your problem could be with the way you smoke your pipe rather then a problem with the pipe build.

But maybe you are experienced pipe smoker and have covered all the basics first? I think more info would help...
i've been smoking pipes for a few years now and have a humble rotation of pipes ranging from 4 digit woodies to a stanwell horn that I picked up new last year. and yes the problem could be my smoking trust me I've thought about that but when it's only one pipe out of three I smoked that day that was giving me a problem I can assume that the pipe is more of the cuase then I am
Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
smokes hot and kinda felt a little restricted to me and the shape is a cobra the pipe came out of Italy. The smoking hot and feeling restricted where the reasons I was going to have it opened up a bit.
I'd try Kid Pipes advice first - hand turn a 5/32" bit thru the shank and airhole. Done that? It can resolve problems.

Having drilled it out does the pipe whistle when you blow thru it? Tweet?