Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Outlaw God
John 3:16

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (2)
Outlaw God is on a distinguished road
Default Illusione Epernay Le Taureau Review

Review # 83
$9.50 - $12.
Shape: Gordo / Box Press
Size: 5 1/4 x 56
Strength: Medium -Full
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper Type: Nicaraguan Corojo
Color: Colorado Maduro
Binder / Filler: Nicaragua / Nicaragua
Grade: Hand Rolled / Long Filler
Blender: Dion Giolito

Purchased at my local B&M, sitting for a months and I love the big ring sticks and why I picked it over the family of Epernay sizes offered .

Prelight: Sweet hay, natural tobacco aroma, I am not normally a big box-pressed cigar guy, I know that making them is a challenge to not get them to soft or hard and this ones getting me nervous with it being sponging from top to bottom and some damage to the foot, not having a cellophane wrapper to protected it.

1st 1/3
Sweet cocoa, very light pepper, coffee, spice, especially on the finish with some mild honey notes on the front.

Great draw to be expected with the loose construction, burn line a little wonky, no smokestack resting smoke similar to the Undercrown's with there heavy oils and putting off tons of static smoke.

What set this cigar apart so far is the flavor balance, with no note dominating.
I love the honey note on the finish, mixed with the spice and it still mixes in the sweet cocoa, light pepper and coffee.

The spongy construction seems to not be taking away from the quality of the cigar and after a few more I'll learn what the consistency of it's normalcy is.

2nd 1/3
The after taste are meaty and very flavorful, the second third adds some cedar with the departure of the light pepper and the spice dying down but still there.

The burn line in still a bit wonky but hasn't gotten worse, the smoke out put is huge, along with the great draw
All the remaining notes are fusing into a creamery smoke well worth the price of admission

Last 1/3
RoMa Craft Tobac, Undercrown, My Uzi Weighs a Ton, Liga Privada #9, Alec Bradley MAXX 'The Fix', Ashton VSG Enchantment, Ramon Bueso Genesis The Project Muy Bueso are some of my top picks but this stick is kicking there ass and fast becoming my new favorite.

All the cigars mention can't compete with the Illusione Epernay Le Taureau ability to be excellent from the first light, where most cigars need to warm up into the 2nd 1/3 to shine.

The Le Taureau is now drifting slightly towards full strength with the N buzz hitting me a bit but not where I go dizzy.
Continues with the wonderful after taste and the notes bubbling to the top and letting the others move in gracefully.

Burn line now very straight here in the last 1/3, I wouldn't say it is the most complex stick out there but a well balanced cigar.
The soft construction feel didn't hamper the quality at all and in my opinion a cigar that should not be missed and box worthy even at it higher price point.

Smoke time: 1hr 35min
Score: 10 out of 10
Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: Illusione Epernay Le Taureau Review

One of my top 3 if not 2 sticks ever (however in the Le Elegance size). Never without this stick. This and the Holy Lance Maduro.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
ikkaariainen
Hickory NC cigar club

First Name: Izzy
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
ikkaariainen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Illusione Epernay Le Taureau Review

The Epernay is a really nice cigar and in the blending process some thought was given to making a blend that pairs with nice high end champagne, as odd as this sounds it actually works real well with this at least with the smaller ring gauge cigars in the family - have not yet tried this particular size...very nice review.