Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #101
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Official College Hoops 2012-2013!!!!!!

This UMd-Dook game is giving me mixed emotions. I can't decide who I want to lose this game more. I think the best solution would be the Dean Dome and Cameron Indoor burning to the ground.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #102
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
This UMd-Dook game is giving me mixed emotions. I can't decide who I want to lose this game more. I think the best solution would be the Dean Dome and Cameron Indoor burning to the ground.
I've yet to be in the Smith Center, but I was in Cameron often back in the day . . . said day being four decades past. From what I recall of that old barn, it had ALREADY burned down.

Good luck against Miami in . . . well, it's tipping off right about now, and maybe we will "see" you tomorrow, if my Heels can do to the Terps what they did to Dook.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #103
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Midway through the first in Greensboro, Bear, as so far it ain't looking so good for your Pack.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #104
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

State making a run at it, and have it down to minus-6 with 12 minutes to play.

Oh, and Hoosiers down 3 to the Badgers at the break . . . which doesn't mean much, yet.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #105
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Miami beats NCSU by 10, and Wisconsin still up 3 over IU with 6 to play . . . which STILL doesn't mean all that much.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #106
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Well, the Badgers did it, beating Indiana 68-56. Said margin was somewhat inflated due to late freethrows after Hoosiers were forced to foul, but they hit 'em, and they counted. Losses for IU and Duke likely will NOT cost them #1-seeds tomorrow, but I do imagine there are a lot of happy Zagnuts on the Left Coast today.

I wonder if they will be happy tomorrow evening also. I am PRETTY sure they won't be happy much longer, regardless.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #107
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Congrats to my Cardinals!!! I love them and now have to try and find tickets for either Lexington or hopefully Indy. Go Cards!
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #108
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

State gets Indy if they can get past temple. Ouch.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #109
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Join our bracket challenge!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61079
Old 03-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #110
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
State gets Indy if they can get past temple. Ouch.

Tough draw, Jerry, but I can't risk much sympathy for your 'Pack, considering how my Heels got screwed into an 8-seed against 'Nova, with Kansas (hopefully?) next.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #111
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Think they were reaching for in interesting story Thomas?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #112
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Think they were reaching for in interesting story Thomas?
Regardless, they may get one. Kansas should have little problem in their first game, so if the Heels get past Villanova they'll pit Ol' Roy against his former team. Though I understand the animosity in Lawrence has cooled a lot (which I never understood, as who could blame Roy for going home to Chapel Hill), it will still give the pundits tons to talk about.

Me, I don't like the prospect of facing the Jayhawks that first weekend. On the other hand, a wise Jayhawk probably is not looking forward to facing the Heels that early either, considering how they've improved in the last month.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #113
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

OK, so here's a story I found interesting:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...93--ncaab.html

My conclusion? If you want to please the greatest number of fans, pull for Carolina to win it all.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #114
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Tough draw, Jerry, but I can't risk much sympathy for your 'Pack, considering how my Heels got screwed into an 8-seed against 'Nova, with Kansas (hopefully?) next.
Actually, I'd call that a good draw. You get a Nova team that can't beat anybody on the road, followed by an super overrated Kansas team. I'd much rather be in that spot than ours, stuck against a hot Temple team coming outta the A-10, who is honestly the fourth best conference this year in my book, and then an Indiana team who's pissed after losing to Wisconsin for a SECOND time this year
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #115
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Actually, I'd call that a good draw. You get a Nova team that can't beat anybody on the road, followed by an super overrated Kansas team. I'd much rather be in that spot than ours, stuck against a hot Temple team coming outta the A-10, who is honestly the fourth best conference this year in my book, and then an Indiana team who's pissed after losing to Wisconsin for a SECOND time this year
To me, the "diss" is not so much about the matchups, since you still gotta play who you gotta play and beat who you gotta beat. My problem is Carolina's better RPI and SoS rating than numerous at-large teams seeded ahead of them. I felt a 5-seed was possible, considering how much better they had played, and that a 6-seed was fair.

But hell, it's only bragging rights anyway, right? Anybody who know their college hoops knows that.

And yeah, your 'Pack's gonna hafta play like they were supposed to play all year to survive for long this March. Good luck to you.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #116
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Wow, I missed this news last night. In the first round of the NIT, mighty Robert Morris knocked off Kentucky, sending the Wildcats back to Lexington as what they've been all year . . . road non-warriors who never jelled.

And speaking of never, where did Robert (never enough) go? No offense, brother, but you started this thread, and my assumption is you were moved to do so because UK won last year and was expected to do well this one also. Now, I've no reason to brag on my Heels either, who were in EXACTLY UK's situation following their championship in 2009, but I didn't climb under my blanket and hide either.

Hey, if you show up for the coronation, you should also be there for the funeral.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #117
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

I ain't Robert, but I'm a UK homer who is SEVERELY disappointed in a team that never really found their focus and could/would not find a way to work together. The NIT loss to Robert Morris was just the capper. I know it's not quite fair that they could not play on home floor, but if you are really the better team, you ought to be able to give a better game than that. It took a hard foul just to get them interested for 2 minutes. Lots of homers around here are just mad that the Cats didn't rate an at-large bid, with the reasoning that the defending champs should have a shot at defending that championship. 2 things there; this is NOT the tourney for LAST year, it's the tourney for the 2012-2013 season, and they didn't play like a defending champ this season. 2-would they say the same thing if Duke were inserted into this situation? Doubt it.

We LOVED it the last couple of seasons when Johny C poured the one-and-done Koolaid, and we looked good and then great. One-and-done for your starting roster is ALWAYS going to be a gamble, and this year, Johny C and we the UK Faithful lost that gamble. With what we have coming next season, looks like lightning will strike again for us, but there's always the chance the chemistry is not there and the kids will not want to work for it.

Anyway, some great games so far. Your Heels are looking pretty good, and so was UofL. Wish I could have seen the VCU win today. Hahhhvahd?!?!? Lehigh?!?!?!? March Madness!!!
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #118
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

I have no damn idea what the hell is going on anymore in this tournament. My bracket is completely and utterly shot after the first damn round. I've been calling uncle since that Harvard game last night, apparently the madness just doesn't care.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #119
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine too Bear. Loved seeing FGCU beat G-Town. And I had Wisconsin in the Final Four...so much for that.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #120
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Joe, you gave your usual honest assessment of UK, and I appreciate it. As I said earlier, the 'Cats were in exactly the same boat as my Heel after their 2009 championship, who also made the finals in 2010 . . . of the NIT, that is.

Actually, I am not surprised that UK's one-and-done policy bit them in the butts, though I was somewhat pleasantly surprised they accepted an invite to the NIT . . . perhaps now to their regret.

And yeah, Bear and Mac, I suspect NOBODY has a perfect bracket left this morning. Considering what this year's been like, that's not a shock to me.

Oh, and my Heels looked GREAT last night against Villanova . . . for the first 10 minutes anyway.