Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
coastietech

Default Cello question...

Alright now that I have your attention I have a cello question but it's not the typical on/off thread...

The last cello thread I read a few people commented on stripping down their Anejo's for fear of mold. Why is this more of a concern with them as opposed to any other cigar? Is this something I should be concerned with on other cigars as well?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
K Baz
Just in front of theStorm

Trading: (1)
K Baz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cello question...

If am not mistaken the 05 or 06 lot of anejos had alot of reported cases of mold under the cedar sleeve.

As such and as a percaution people do strip off the cedar and the cello to reduce the chances of mold and also to make it easier to catch the mold vs having it hidden under the cedar sleeve.

I believe the general belief was that these cigars for some reason were more suseptable to mold I don't fully understand that but I would focus on good storage conditions and if your lucky enough to find some aged anejo strip off the cedar just in case.

Many cigars are stored with the cedar sleeve on with no issues it seems to be an isolated event(s)
K Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Yes, the cigars in that Anejo shipment were wet and there were wide spread accounts of mold sightings. There's something about the wrappers that make them more susceptible to mold. It seems like it's a thicker wrapper and must be more hygroscopic. I experienced some slight mold on some of my cigars and decided to strip 'em all down after I noticed.....just so I could monitor them. Luckily, the mold was easily wiped away and I was able to nip it in the bud.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I truly believe it to be a personal preference. I strip all of mine of the cedar and placed back in the cello before they go in the humi...just easier to monitor for me.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Totally a personal preference. Forgot to mention that I only strip the Anejos. All other cigars are stored as purchased.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Waynegro1

I have been aging Anejo cigars since they came out and have purchased many boxes over the years. I've heard of the mold problem in the past, but have never experienced a problem with any of mine. I put the boxes in the cabinet and that's that. I've yet to have a mold issue.
I think the main thing to worry about is the humidity in your humi's. If your not storing cigars at 70+ RH, you should be fine.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
coastietech

Thank you all for that... Just struck me as odd but now I understand.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I store my Anejos at 65% , the only ones I ever had with mold were bought with it already blooming . I didn't notice it at the store and when I took it back , the clerk said it was plume , plume doesn't grow inside the foot of a cigar . I've had mold form on other cigars without cedar sleeves . I say store them as they are when aquired .
Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

From what I understand, their wrappers (which may have more natural sugars due to the aging processes involved) paired with the cedar sleeves are more prone to mold only when they are overhumidified. Most people don't over humidify their cigars at home, but in transit and at the B&Ms is where the problem begins. Once mold has started to grow it will do so even in humis with the proper conditions.
All that said, I have Anejos with over 5 years on them in their original cello that are fine. They have never been removed from their original packaging.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote