Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ever sell back vacation time?

In a word, no. Use your time off. The value it brings is more than the pay. Think cigars. Why by something you're going to burn? Because the value it provides is worth more than the financial hit. Same is true of vacation time. I asked for more at my last annual review in lieu of a raise. Got the raise instead but I would have prefered more time off I could spend with my wife, kids, and extended family.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

In the last company I worked for - we were required to use our PTO. It was an internal control - force someone else to do the person's job for a few days just to make sure they weren't doing anything shady.

That being said - I'd want to use it anyway. My current company is use it or lose it - but I've already got all of my PTO for the year planned . No problems with using it all up here!
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

I sold all of my time back at my last job but that was because i got 100% for it and i was leaving so i would have lost it otherwise. If i wasnt leaving i would have never sold any off it. The time off is far more important to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

It doesn't sound like you've had a vacation in a while. If it were me I'd probably sell enough back to finance a trip somewhere and take a week off. That is provided you can do that of course.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I used to sell back 80 hours a year, I pick my own days off so I could make vacations work with holiday time, days off, and the remaining vacation time.

The last couple years I carry over what I don't use (I can carry over up to 200 hours a year), and try to increase my time off available each year. This yesr between vacation, holiday and personal time, I can take up to 58 extra days off.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

IMO, time off is worth about 1.5 my pay rate. I get relaxed, get non-work things done, get recharged, all that.

Dunno about your situation, but here are some things that I would consider:

1. Is there a limit after which I am unable to accrue more PTO?
2. If there is no limit, if I am fired, quit, or retire, do I get it back paid?
3. If there is no limit, can I use it in large chunks in case myself or someone in my family has a serious medical emergency/condition/life altering event?
4. Even if there is a limit, might I want to have a large chuck some day?
5. Do I have short-term disability insurance. PTO can be used to cover the gap until long-term disability kicks in (you have it, don't you?).

In 1988, when I left the Boeing Company, I lost about 250 hours of sick time that I never used (back then, there was a strict separation between sick and vacation time). Nothing that I could have done about that, but if I stayed until retirement, the hours would have been rolled in to my retirement calculation - at least at that time.

It's a bit tricky to recommend in your case, but if you need the money, go for it. If you aren't going to lose anything by hanging on to it, then I say save it since the 90% of your hourly will hopefully be higher in the future.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #27
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Take your vacation. Life is too short. The money doesn't mean dick if you're dead next week.
Spend time with family and friends. Go fishing. Work on the house. Clean your car. Come stay with me for a week and we'll build something. Go read or learn something you've always wanted to learn.
Honestly, work will always be there. The people you love won't.

This X 42347938495837693
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
Chainsaw13
Mřřse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Going off Jluck's comment, do you know what tax rate you'd pay on the time if you sell it back? I believe it might be taxed at OT rates, so you'd end up losing even more value. My vote is us it.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #29
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice everybody.
I'm going to find a way to use the time. The more I think about it the more it seems crazy not to get away more. Of course with all this time off I'm going to need more cigars. I'd better stock up.