Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #21
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Casey Anthony not guilty on major charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post

In the end, she will have to live with this for the rest of her life. IF she has any conscience, that should be a difficult cross to bear.
If the 30 day period when the child was 'missing' are any indication, she won't have much trouble 'bearing the cross'. Unless finding a club to go to is troubling her.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
She will be counting dollars from media appearances, a book deal and likely a club tour. Well maybe not the last one.
eh, i still think someone will "off her"
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
The prosecution really blew this one.
I am not so sure about this....from the little I knew of the trial, they pretty much hammered away at
the little evidence they had to work with. As was said many times in the lead up to the verdict, after
closing arguments, they had a LOT of evidence to present, but nothing at all that was all that damning.
NO confession, no weapon, no real physical evidence on the "body"...They lost, but I am not sure they
blew it per se.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #24
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I am so glad this trial is over. I am tired of hearing about it. I didn't follow it from day one. I wish all the people following this trial cared 1/10 as much about our country.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #25
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I am not so sure about this....from the little I knew of the trial, they pretty much hammered away at
the little evidence they had to work with. As was said many times in the lead up to the verdict, after
closing arguments, they had a LOT of evidence to present, but nothing at all that was all that damning.
NO confession, no weapon, no real physical evidence on the "body"...They lost, but I am not sure they
blew it per se.
You are so right Brad. I should have not done a blanket accusation. I had meant to say they blew getting the correct evidence and presented a week case. A sad state of affairs.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Sad state of affairs. Sometimes the need to protect everyones rights gets in the way of justice for the victims.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #27
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

She'll go into "adult entertainment". If they got Aileen Wuornos' daughter, she'll be easy pickin's.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #28
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

A local cop here I chat with often stopped to talk to me about this verdict. Though he thought she was guilty, he said it was further evidence that "the system works". Reasonable doubt existed with no hard forensic proof, and maybe "CSI" thus holds some blame for teaching jurors to expect it. The only thing that shocked this officer was the fact that they deliberated only 7 hours, so when he heard they were finished he figured it was a guilty verdict.

(No offense intended to those "on the job" around here, but this is one reason I've lived in this town for over 30 years . . . we have one damn good police department, and damn few problems.)

As for the woman herself, it's been said already . . . she'll get hers if she's guilty, some day. Karma's a beech which does not spare the rod.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #29
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I suspect at least some members of the jury aren't happy either, but they went with the law rather than their emotions. Tough call, but even though I think she's guilty as hell, I can't fault their verdict based on the evidence presented to them.

However, there's always the chance she'll come here for a visit, pull some stunt in keeping with her nature, and end up in front of a Nevada judge and jury like O.J. did.

We're a little short on sympathy and understanding out here.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #30
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
In the end, she will have to live with this for the rest of her life. IF she has any conscience, that should be a difficult cross to bear.

Larry
Given the tattoo and all the partying within hours of Caylee's death, I don't think this is much of an issue.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #31
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio Gato View Post
You are so right Brad. I should have not done a blanket accusation. I had meant to say they blew getting the correct evidence and presented a week case. A sad state of affairs.
They presented all they had, which was largely circumstantial to begin with. The body was too badly decomposed to have an autopsy to have the exact cause of death determined. Throw in the duct tape and the fact that Casey was the only one who had Caylee in her "possession", it's a no brainer IMO.

One thing is for sure-Baez is a jack@ss for the claims made against George Anthony and literally trying to make him the focus of the trial more so than Casey. He already lost his granddaughter and is accused of molesting his own daughter on day 1
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #32
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

She could still be sentenced to jail for being found guilty on 4 counts or so of lying to the cops. Each one carries a sentence of 4 years I think? I heard the judge *could* sentence her to serve them consecutively if he wanted.

Or he could just say "time served" and out she goes.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #33
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I suspect at least some members of the jury aren't happy either, but they went with the law rather than their emotions.
Yup....exactly as they are supposed to.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #34
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
She will be counting dollars from media appearances, a book deal and likely a club tour. Well maybe not the last one.
I agree
Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #35
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

The prosecution could not dazzle the jurors nor the judge with facts, cause they didn't have any and the defense baffled the **** out of the jurors and the judge with so much bullshit, because the judge, with his petty fits of anger, allowed the defense to go way too far off track! They muddied the waters and the judge allowed it all to happen, because in reality, he didn't know what the **** was going on! Great Defense, Weak Prosecution and a weak Judge that has no clue about what happened! But hey guys, that's just my thoughts!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
While I believe she is guilty...there was never any HARD evidence to convict here. Here's where ya hope karma catches up to her.

I firmly believe that Casey was responsible for her daughter at the time of death and that she knows what happened. That being said... I don't think they had enough evidence to link her to the death. As a result, I think the jury did exactly what they should have done. YMMV
Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
A local cop here I chat with often stopped to talk to me about this verdict. Though he thought she was guilty, he said it was further evidence that "the system works". Reasonable doubt existed with no hard forensic proof, and maybe "CSI" thus holds some blame for teaching jurors to expect it. The only thing that shocked this officer was the fact that they deliberated only 7 hours, so when he heard they were finished he figured it was a guilty verdict.

(No offense intended to those "on the job" around here, but this is one reason I've lived in this town for over 30 years . . . we have one damn good police department, and damn few problems.)

As for the woman herself, it's been said already . . . she'll get hers if she's guilty, some day. Karma's a beech which does not spare the rod.
I didn't follow this trial at all. But am hearing about it on Facebook. So I turned on CNN and heard all the talk from the attorney's involved.

7 hours for this trial.... OJ's trial... The jury deliberated for a total of 4 hours. And his trial was MUCH longer.
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #38
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I suspect at least some members of the jury aren't happy either, but they went with the law rather than their emotions.
This is exactly what I have been saying on some discussions on FB today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Yup....exactly as they are supposed to.
I agree Tom. you have to make your decision as a juror based only on the facts presented in the courtroom. I was on a jury once where to DA presented us 3 or 4 different possible crimes we could find for. The strictest one carried a mandatory sentence. The hardest charge was burglary of a dwelling with a firearm, cause the dudes supposedly stole a firearm from one of the houses they burgled. Now they abslolutely proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the clowns burgled the residence caue they had an eyewitness that saw them leaving the residence and they had all the folks stuff in their truck when they were caught. The guy who lived in the house testified that the last time he saw the firearm was several months before the burglary happened. In Florida stealing a firearm in the commision of a burglary is the same as bringing one with you.The DA absolutely didn't meet the burden of proof to justify a guilty finding by the jury. Somehow I wound up being elected as foreperson somehow, and the first thing I did was take a vote. The vote was (I think) 2 for burglary of a dwelling and 6 for burglary of a dwelling with a firearm. I explained my postition to the 6 jurors. One of the women on the jury that was prolly 20 years older than me said to me "Greg, you know in your heart that they stole that gun" and I said "yes maam, I do". But the instruction was to judge the case based on the evidence presented in the trial. It was like the old movie "Twelve Angry Men" but eventually the vote was 8 to 0 for the lesser charge. I also have to say it was mainly arrived at because it was getting close to supper time and a couple of them changed their vote so they could go home. But even though I believe they absolutely did it, (just like this case) I believe we rendered a just verdict. I was actaully angry at the DA for having that charge included cause I feel like he was just hoping that we would act on emotion and not on the facts. Just my two cents worth.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
She could still be sentenced to jail for being found guilty on 4 counts or so of lying to the cops. Each one carries a sentence of 4 years I think? I heard the judge *could* sentence her to serve them consecutively if he wanted.

Or he could just say "time served" and out she goes.
They are one year terms. She has already served close to 3. The worst she will get is one year or probation of some sort.

It sucks. I really think she did it, but the evidence is not there. The duct tape cannot be tied to the body, the blood stain in the trunk could not be proven as human, nevermind as Caylee. The death odor evidence is from a new technology and could be produced from an infinite number of things. Searching for chloroform is circumstantial. None was found in the home or on the body. Murder 1 was a reach in this one by a prosecutor looking to make a name.

Nothing in the case indicates child abuse. They should have included neglect in the charges as she would have been convicted on that for not reporting her daughter missing.

I am glad the system worked this time. What if Caylee had S.I.D.S. and died naturally and Casey freaked out and lost her mind. Although it is a reach, it is a possibility.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #40
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Like my wife just said, It doesn't matter, her life is ruined. He parents obviously dislike/hate her. I bet she has a hell of a time finding any kind of employment at this point.
....headline on Fox this AM:

"Will Casey Cash In..??"

The same media blitz that put this trial in our face 24 / 7 is about to make this worthless piece of garbage rich. As a new grandparent of a beautiful little girl, this whole thing just disgusts me....

As far as the verdict, painful as it is, it's how the system works. As I've heard it said, "...it isn't what you know, it's what you can prove....".