Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
mrreindeer

Default Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Discuss

Treading lightly, I can't help myself but put this out there.

REALLY?

Let's not get into political debate...just whether or not the guy really deserves it. A discussion, as a person and his ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

I say NO!

Come on....

Times must be harder than we think...205 seems like a pretty low turnout of submissions for the prize to me (note submissions were made by February 1st so Obama had a full 12 days in office to put this in the bag)!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/...bel-prize-win/

Get your submissions in now for 2010; YOU might just have a shot!

Some other articles on the topic: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-g..._b_315168.html

The peace prize was created partly to encourage ongoing peace efforts but Obama's efforts are at far earlier stages than past winners'. The Nobel committee acknowledged that they may not bear fruit at all.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_314907.html

Old 10-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Discuss

Yeah... I'm going to stay clear of this thread
Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
mrreindeer

Ooof, I know, I know, Ade...

But seriously....I feel as if the organization just f'd themselves and are making a mockery of the Prize and everyone who has won in the past.

I don't feel the guy deserves it....yet.

I understand their 'intent' but boy did they f' up.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

who cares...I thought there was an economic struggle going on....
Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

prob best to lock this one up...it will prob go into a political thing Dave..
Old 10-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Blindjimme
Judgement Impaired

First Name: JB
Trading: (14)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Blindjimme will become famous soon enough

Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

A list of a few of the people that Mr. Obama beat out:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblog...were_passe.asp

with that, Im outta here!
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
mrreindeer

Sorry guys if I you feel I might be promoting political debate but let's just keep politics out of this thread.

I made no mention of my political viewpoint..I just think it's nuts. Has nothing to do with politics really, just what the guy has accomplished in order to EARN the prize....we should be okay, I'd think.

And know I go to Jim's link.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

I'll bite, and this is merely my opinion on his image and technique...

What a bunch of propaganda & hooplah... he's no saint, he's diabolical and only out for his best interest... or those conductors who pull the strings...

Here's what i wrote to the WSJ the day after the joint session about a month back....

Quote:
The stench of stale & outdated propaganda must still linger in the room after last night’s joint session of congress. I cannot believe the tactics that were used in trying to convince the general public that they were doing the right thing by supporting Obama’s healthcare reform plan. Did anyone else notice that many members of the GOP sat there with the look of disgust written across their faces in reaction to statements that seemed to be written by Marx & Engels?

I’m no expert! I am a 26 year old male who is a few years out of school (state school: art degree) that is forging ahead to do “great things” (I use that term loosely) in the business world rather than become an artist. Was it just me? Or, does anyone else feel that President Obama lacks business acumen and sounds ridiculous when he uses slang terms such as “jacked up” in regards to availability and cost of healthcare. Come on people! This man is insane in regards to his projections versus the actual outcomes of this reform.

I want to make a personal note now to our beloved friend Barry (sarcasm).

Obama, I understand that your plan is to “keep insurance companies honest”… Well, I would retort with asking you to be honest and quit slighting and attempting to circumvent the need to confront and answer how the “tough angles” will have to be “worked out” as you so quietly/quickly put it. Sir, please explicate. Let us confront and discuss those tough issues/angles and let us talk about how we are going to (as you said) “work them out”…. Or maybe, just maybe you don’t want these issues to surface on national television because even the derelicts that exist would see fault and reason to not support your “need” for healthcare reform.

Point # 2:
I was relaxing at a local cigar shop about two months ago when I noticed a new face amongst the crowd. I struck up a conversation with the gentleman and after introductions I soon found out that he was a trauma surgeon who worked in a medium-large sized (500 bed) hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We began to speak about the plan that Obama had for our national healthcare system and he explained to me two very valid points. 1. He noted that if the bill was passed he would terminate his employment with that hospital and use his earnings/savings to become an entrepreneur and go in to some other form of business. 2. He noted that when many others followed suit that our country would then be ridden with B-level surgeons, doctors, practitioners, etc who didn’t fall into that “top 10th percentile of graduates” and now are eligible to be trusted in practicing medicine because that’s the best we could get due to all the A-level employees quitting their jobs/practices. How does that make you feel America?

All my Best,
Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

, but like the person or not and politics aside this is good for the global image of the United States as a whole.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Darrell

Say no to Political threads.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I think you make a great point that this CAN be a non political discussion. Will it? Remains to be seen.
I think I totally agree the merits is incredibly questionable.
However, go back to 2001 and note what famous Cuban was nominated. That was equally as absurd.

Good luck with this thread as time will tell the direction it takes.
I am going to take a nap.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
, but like the person or not and politics aside this is good for the global image of the United States as a whole.
Yes and no, Jay...I kind of agree with the writer of that Huffington Post that it could be pointing out that he hasn't done enough. I do agree that guy has done a great job SO FAR improving our image overseas. I just would have liked him to continue and do MORE (real solid accomplishments like peace in the middle east or something) in order to earn such a prestigious award, 'ya know?

And Bobbie, ya may have blown this one up!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

An interesting fact about the Nobel Peace Prize: Nominations had to be turned in by Fenruary 1, 2009. President Obama had only been in office for 12 days when he was nominated.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Yes and no, Jay...I kind of agree with the writer of that Huffington Post that it could be pointing out that he hasn't done enough. I do agree that guy has done a great job SO FAR improving our image overseas. I just would have liked him to continue and do MORE (real solid accomplishments like peace in the middle east or something) in order to earn such a prestigious award, 'ya know?

And Bobbie, ya may have blown this one up!
Total merits on which the award was won ... I will agree that it would be suspect as to if everything would add up ... sad to say it but there probably should not have been a winner this year
Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
mrreindeer

Yeah, that's what's in that Fox news link above. Pretty funny. Sure, they have between that time & September to make a decision but come on...the nomination should have been warranted BY Feb. 1 and really, did he EARN the prize by Feb. 1?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
Total merits on which the award was won ... I will agree that it would be suspect as to if everything would add up ... sad to say it but there probably should not have been a winner this year
Jay, I nominate YOU for 2010!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
An interesting fact about the Nobel Peace Prize: Nominations had to be turned in by Fenruary 1, 2009. President Obama had only been in office for 12 days when he was nominated.
when people are involved there is always politics being played ... any questions see the BCS
Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Jay, I nominate YOU for 2010!
Thanks David, I'll get my speech ready
Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
ahc4353

I just put Fox and his Phatness in for next year.

Closed Thread