Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #21
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation
Default Re: windows guy going to macs

Might as well add my Mac genealogy too.

Mac Plus --> SE --> SE FDHD --> Classic --> Macintosh IIsi --> Quadra of some kind --> Clone of some kind....

<<break from macs >>

PowerMac G4 AGP --> iBook G4 --> PowerBook G4 --> MacBook (Core2 Duo) --> back to the PowerBook G4
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I think we need an "official" mac thread on CA....and sticky that bad boy
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #23
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

Add me to the Mac long time user. I started with a Mac Plus; SE, Classic, Classic II, PowerBook G3. Currently I have a Quicksilver G4 and iBook G3.

In between I dealt with the wife's Dell, which after multiple upgrades it went to all hell and crapped out. So I built her a new and awesome computer last June with all the goods, but I still prefer Macs.

You would be surprised, the white is much more difficult to scratch than you think and really does not get all that dirty. Mac changed the casings because of those very reasons. The programs that come with macs now are fairly nice. What are you looking to do with your Mac?
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #24
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Mike View Post
Add me to the Mac long time user. I started with a Mac Plus; SE, Classic, Classic II, PowerBook G3. Currently I have a Quicksilver G4 and iBook G3.

In between I dealt with the wife's Dell, which after multiple upgrades it went to all hell and crapped out. So I built her a new and awesome computer last June with all the goods, but I still prefer Macs.

You would be surprised, the white is much more difficult to scratch than you think and really does not get all that dirty. Mac changed the casings because of those very reasons. The programs that come with macs now are fairly nice. What are you looking to do with your Mac?
internet papers music photos maybe some gaming ect
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #25
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

Your new Mac should have you covered. Learn the programs that come with the computer before going out and spending.

Internet, your Mac will come with Safari, personally I do not care for it and use Firefox and Opera. You will also have a lot less problems with viruses and such. Microsoft has so many ways of getting into the systems that hackers go for those far more readily than Macs. It is also better known that Microsoft is a system that has out a lot of money and hardware into businesses, as such hackers really want to get into those systems. Having extra virus protection for the Mac is a good idea anyway.

Your Mac will most likely have Appleworks, when I worked in a printshop, this was called ClarisWorks at the time, it covered many areas. This will give you great options for your papers. The program is similar to Microsoft office all in one. Do not expect Photoshop quality, but it is really user friendly and one can pull some great work off of it, one of my favorite programs I can always rely on.

Music, well you have iTunes pre-installed too. I do not have any outside programs as all my music is done on the Microsoft.

Photos, you will get iPhoto, this is a really good program, take the time to learn how to use it, you can create all your albums, crop, and etc. If you are of a creative mind, you can use Appleworks and do a lot of playing around with your photos.

Gaming, prepare for some disappointment. Microsoft has good control in the gaming department and Mac is more into the toys and graphic programs. A bit of a paradox, but remember, it is Apple.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #26
fuubar

For gaming there isn't too much native to the mac. But you can always use something like boot camp to have a little slice of windows for gaming.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #27
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Mike View Post
Your new Mac should have you covered. Learn the programs that come with the computer before going out and spending.

Internet, your Mac will come with Safari, personally I do not care for it and use Firefox and Opera. You will also have a lot less problems with viruses and such. Microsoft has so many ways of getting into the systems that hackers go for those far more readily than Macs. It is also better known that Microsoft is a system that has out a lot of money and hardware into businesses, as such hackers really want to get into those systems. Having extra virus protection for the Mac is a good idea anyway.

Your Mac will most likely have Appleworks, when I worked in a printshop, this was called ClarisWorks at the time, it covered many areas. This will give you great options for your papers. The program is similar to Microsoft office all in one. Do not expect Photoshop quality, but it is really user friendly and one can pull some great work off of it, one of my favorite programs I can always rely on.

Music, well you have iTunes pre-installed too. I do not have any outside programs as all my music is done on the Microsoft.

Photos, you will get iPhoto, this is a really good program, take the time to learn how to use it, you can create all your albums, crop, and etc. If you are of a creative mind, you can use Appleworks and do a lot of playing around with your photos.

Gaming, prepare for some disappointment. Microsoft has good control in the gaming department and Mac is more into the toys and graphic programs. A bit of a paradox, but remember, it is Apple.
the two games I play *WoW and Americas army) both have mac versions so I'm set there. I also plan to run vmwear. For "must haves" I didn't know if there were any free programs that macs can benefit from. On my xp box I have powertools/tweakui, and others. Didn't know if macs had stuff like that. I know it comes with konfabulator which is cool and i'm looking forward to messing with that
Old 02-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #28
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Trading: (0)
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
i thought the DARK SIDE was the cuban slope lol. who makes a good macbok skin frank told me one but i forgot what the name is
http://www.skinit.com/ has a bunch of different ones Kevin.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #29
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydp View Post
http://www.skinit.com/ has a bunch of different ones Kevin.
what were the ones that you were looking at when we were at your place? they seemed nice.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #30
Seanohue
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Sean
HUpmann
Seanohue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuubar View Post
For gaming there isn't too much native to the mac. But you can always use something like boot camp to have a little slice of windows for gaming.
But you still have to pay the nasty prices for Apple's hardware, which will get you far less for the money.
Seanohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #31
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanohue View Post
But you still have to pay the nasty prices for Apple's hardware, which will get you far less for the money.
It's higher but not as bad as it used to be. The 24" imacs have an option for the an nvidia 8800 card now too. Can configure a a decent system for under 2k, and the premium nets you OSX
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #32
Sandman
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
Sandman is on a distinguished road

Here's a question in all honesty. I still use my gateway PC from 2001 with no problems at all. I mainly use my Gateway laptop that I bought last year for $400. 2Gigs of Ram, 160 Gigs of hard drive, no problems, works like a champ. Just wondering why someone like myself would spend over a grand more for an Apple laptop or PC?

I only use my computers for internet, word processing, gaming and Quickbooks.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #33
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Here's a question in all honesty. I still use my gateway PC from 2001 with no problems at all. I mainly use my Gateway laptop that I bought last year for $400. 2Gigs of Ram, 160 Gigs of hard drive, no problems, works like a champ. Just wondering why someone like myself would spend over a grand more for an Apple laptop or PC?

I can't see why you would. Sounds like your rig suits your needs just fine. You would probably be fine with a netbook for under $400 going by what you use your current lappie for.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #34
Swampper
Still Watching My Back

VR
Swampper is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: windows guy going to macs

WOW. Lots of mac guys here at CA! I was told long ago that I was a 'mac bigot'.

IIsi>G3 [got one the first week they were out]> Powermac G5 [current machine(Dual PowerPC)].

With a Mac, just turn in on and use it. Macintouch is my go-to site if I have any problems. Download Firefox and VLC.

Enjoy!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #35
Good_Stogies_Mon

Welcome to the club. You will never look back. Here is another mac site to add to the list

http://www.macosxhints.com/
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #36
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Which would you rather drive? A 2001 Honda Civic or a 2009 Porsche Boxster? In the end they both do the same basic thing - get you from point A to point B - but they do it with different style.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #37
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:

there are certain things i like to spoil myself with every few years. pcs are one of them. its the difference between a swisher and a partagas de partagas #1... they do the same thing but one is a hell of a lot more fun to use
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #38
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
there are certain things i like to spoil myself with every few years.
I tried that one on my wife.

She said no freaking way to letting me spoil myself with an updated, more modern, faster, tall, young blonde.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #39
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

can any school me on if I should run a dual boot to xp/osx or if I should just run vmwear...or both?

is it worth looking at the refurbished macs?

Last edited by loki; 02-18-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #40
Darrell

Once you go Mac, you never go back.