Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help Me Pick A Vacation, Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Bora Bora looks amazing but we'd lose 2 days traveling. It'd probably be good to stay on this side of the planet.
This is the #1 on my list of places to go before I die. You are right though. You need to plan 4 days for travel--2 there, 2 back.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Belize, either on the mainland or Ambergis Caye
Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
mariogolbee

April. Plenty of water. Carribean. Lots of booze AND cigars. 5 day cruise from and back to Miami. Diving in Miami afterward to finish the 7 days. http://www.rockypatelcigarcruise.com/ I'm sure you can fit all you want in there. I haven't read the details, but there might be a tobacco plantation in there somewhere and lots of different locations.

Edit: It looks as though there will be snorkeling in the Bahamas upon further reading. And LOTS of booze.

PPS: It looks like about $2000 for two with a balcony on the cruise ship. Margheritaville in Grand turk. Lots of free booze. Lots of beach. You can get a regular room for two for under $1500.

Last edited by mariogolbee; 10-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
You need to plan 4 days for travel--2 there, 2 back.
Remember, you cross over the international date line, so its only 1/2 a day to get there but 1 1/2 to get back
Old 10-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
This is the #1 on my list of places to go before I die. You are right though. You need to plan 4 days for travel--2 there, 2 back.
I know, right? I did some looking and you also need about 20k+ to get there and back, and you'd have to figure at least 10-14 days.
That makes it a once in a lifetime, for sure. It won't be Bora Bora this year, unfortunately.
I'm sure it'll haunt me the rest of my life until I get there.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
April. Plenty of water. Carribean. Lots of booze AND cigars. 5 day cruise from and back to Miami. Diving in Miami afterward to finish the 7 days. http://www.rockypatelcigarcruise.com/ I'm sure you can fit all you want in there. I haven't read the details, but there might be a tobacco plantation in there somewhere and lots of different locations.

Edit: It looks as though there will be snorkeling in the Bahamas upon further reading. And LOTS of booze.

PPS: It looks like about $2000 for two with a balcony on the cruise ship. Margheritaville in Grand turk. Lots of free booze. Lots of beach. You can get a regular room for two for under $1500.
I should have mentioned about cruises in my OP, Mario. I'd rather be beat to death than go on a cruise. I might have to go someday to appease my wife, but I'm hoping she forgets they exist.
To me it'd be like being trapped in the Mall surrounded by 1000 screaming kids who all have a cold. Not my idea of fun at all.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Belize, either on the mainland or Ambergis Caye
One of my best buddies says Belize is the most beautiful place on earth and he's literally been all over the world as an entertainer.
I'm not sure what's there but I'm going to look. Thanks for that suggestion, Mike.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #28
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Puerto Rico...

1) You can visit the rain forest (El Yunque is how I think it's spelled). They have a great waterfall that you can swim under that's on a nice hike after a beautiful drive.

2) Culebra. It's one of the spanish virgin island and is supposed to be beautiful. The water and beaches should be just what you are looking for.

3) Vieques. It's another spanish virgin island (one I've been to twice) and has beaches that aren't crowded at all. Furthermore, they have the biobay that you can kayak in at night and the water glows when it is disturbed. Very cool. So cool in fact that I took my wife there to show her it even though I'd been before. http://www.viequestravelguide.com/mo...scent-bay.html

4) It's still in the US, so you don't need a passport and it's generally cheaper.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Puerto Rico...

...Furthermore, they have the biobay that you can kayak in at night and the water glows when it is disturbed. Very cool. So cool in fact that I took my wife there to show her it even though I'd been before. http://www.viequestravelguide.com/mo...scent-bay.html
Now THAT'S cool.
Puerto Rico has been on our list for a couple years now, I'm looking forward to it. I will definately keep the biobay in mind, it's too cool not to go see it in person.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #30
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
Now THAT'S cool.
Puerto Rico has been on our list for a couple years now, I'm looking forward to it. I will definately keep the biobay in mind, it's too cool not to go see it in person.
While Vieques has nice beaches that aren't crowded at all (you may very well be the only people at times), they aren't very Caribbean-esq. Culebra, where I haven't been is supposed to have the best beaches and water.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
maconusmile

I have the perfect spot. It is in CanCun Mexico way up north as far as you can go with only a single other resort located right next to it. You have to drive through the Mayan Ruins to get to this place called Excellence Playa Mujeres. It is an incredible "higher end" resort that caters to you the whole time you are there you will be treated like royalty. It is highly secured as you will go through 3 military checkpoints with 20 foot tall security gates. It is about an hour from the Cancun International airport. They take you there in a private Lincoln Navigator limo and it's worth every penny. When you arrive they open the doors to your limo and greet you with a cold wet towel to wipe off the travel and hands they they pour you some really nice glasses of champaign. This is an all inclusive resort with about a dozen excellent resturants. They have shows, and entertainment every day/night. They serve top shelf drinks , top shelf food, and they have this awesome cigar bar there that sell and kinds of cuban cigars you would want. I thing they have around 15 different pools with nice cabanas to rest in. There is parasailing, bow and arrow, gun shooting, jet skies ect.... lots of things to do. we stayed there9 days, 8 nights and we are sooo ready to go back. We bought a sailing package that took us to another island and let us snorkel or whatever we wanted to do. I smoked several cuban cigars and rented a golf cart to drive down the streets of this island they take you too called Isla Mujeres, I bought thaht place up.. It was a really wonderful day. We can't wait to go back to Playa Mujeres. Such a great place to stay, relax/have any kind of drink imaginable and a nice cigar to go with it! I would recommend this place to anyone who needs a getaway with their significant other. No kids allowed, and couple's only.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #32
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

It's a stretch - The Maldives. It's half way around the world. If I could go any where, I'd pick it first.

"The Maldives is the smallest Asian country in both population and land area. With an average ground level of 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) above sea level, it is the planet's lowest country. It is also the country with the lowest highest point in the world, at 2.3 metres (7 ft 7 in)."

Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconusmile View Post
I have the perfect spot. It is in CanCun Mexico way up north as far as you can go with only a single other resort located right next to it. You have to drive through the Mayan Ruins to get to this place called Excellence Playa Mujeres. It is an incredible "higher end" resort that caters to you the whole time you are there you will be treated like royalty. It is highly secured as you will go through 3 military checkpoints with 20 foot tall security gates. It is about an hour from the Cancun International airport. They take you there in a private Lincoln Navigator limo and it's worth every penny. When you arrive they open the doors to your limo and greet you with a cold wet towel to wipe off the travel and hands they they pour you some really nice glasses of champaign. This is an all inclusive resort with about a dozen excellent resturants. They have shows, and entertainment every day/night. They serve top shelf drinks , top shelf food, and they have this awesome cigar bar there that sell and kinds of cuban cigars you would want. I thing they have around 15 different pools with nice cabanas to rest in. There is parasailing, bow and arrow, gun shooting, jet skies ect.... lots of things to do. we stayed there9 days, 8 nights and we are sooo ready to go back. We bought a sailing package that took us to another island and let us snorkel or whatever we wanted to do. I smoked several cuban cigars and rented a golf cart to drive down the streets of this island they take you too called Isla Mujeres, I bought thaht place up.. It was a really wonderful day. We can't wait to go back to Playa Mujeres. Such a great place to stay, relax/have any kind of drink imaginable and a nice cigar to go with it! I would recommend this place to anyone who needs a getaway with their significant other. No kids allowed, and couple's only.
I've been to Excellence Punta Cana in Dominican. It's all you said and more, same resort. They have two other locations, I believe. Cancun is one and Oyster Bay Jamaica? is under construction.
I'd like to go back there with the whole family, it's incredible. I'm sure everyone would love it and we'd all have a blast.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
It's a stretch - The Maldives. It's half way around the world. If I could go any where, I'd pick it first.

"The Maldives is the smallest Asian country in both population and land area. With an average ground level of 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) above sea level, it is the planet's lowest country. It is also the country with the lowest highest point in the world, at 2.3 metres (7 ft 7 in)."
That's what I'm talkin about right there, Jamie. How cool would that be?
There's a bunch of Islands like that between Dominican and Caicos, I saw them from the plane. I just don't know exactly where they are.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #35
LigaPrivadaT84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post

That is so beautiful.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #36
BnBTobacco

Mexico is a good place for travel or you may consider getting a package to the Holy Land.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #37
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

I forget, you live on the west coast right? If so, I really would consider Hawaii. I agree that Maui would be too busy for your liking judging by what you have written in this thread. Hilo is not a fun place to stay at all, there's really nothing to do there, in a bad way. It's kinda a junky town, but I do love the Big Island. Something to consider is staying on Lanai or Molokai which are the two small islands right off Maui. Lanai has a couple resorts to stay at and has some good snorkeling/diving right off the coast. Molokai has one, maybe two resorts but I have a friend that goes there every year and just rents a house on the beach. They have become friends with locals that live in the area because they have gone the last few years. Both islands give you the great Hawaii feel, you will see the whales, has great diving, great beaches and is very secluded compared to the "main" islands. Plus if you live on the west coast, it's only a 4-5 hour flight and there are good prices right now.

I really enjoy Kauai too but I'm not too sure about diving.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #38
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
One of my best buddies says Belize is the most beautiful place on earth and he's literally been all over the world as an entertainer.
I'm not sure what's there but I'm going to look. Thanks for that suggestion, Mike.
I have a time share on Ambergris, google Reef Village...Belize is awesome and fairly close
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #39
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post

Man, that cruise would be awesome it seems like.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Belize is looking really good. I'm looking pretty hard at Hamanasi Resort.
I've found a bunch of other resorts on Ambegris Caye, but I'm not sure that's what we're after.
Ambergris allows a local atmosphere, dining, and night life, while Hamanasi is secluded, quiet, almost deserted and like a resort on the edge of the jungle at the ocean.
I can get to diving and snorkeling from either.
Have any of you been anywhere in Belize?