Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Just ordered a new Cutter Cuban Crafters.

This bad boy is on sale right now, anyone have one and want to chime in or tell me I made a mistake by getting this? I like that there is really no way to make a bad cut with this....thanks to Cigarobsession for turning me on to it.

http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/5291
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just ordered a new Cutter Cuban Crafters.

I have metal ones with a stop in behind the blades like that. The little hole is for beli's and such, so you can get a deeper cut. I know this goes against religion here, but as far as I'm concerned, they're the best cutters I can get.
Perfect cut every time, perfect depth, and you can take a little more off with ease, if you need to. I can't do that with my xikars or palios, I just make a crooked squashy mess.
The only problem is that I haven't found the two or three I have since I moved. I think I know where they are, just haven't dug for them yet. Those were the ones I always used around the house and shop and deck, the others went in my travel humis because they were much lighter.
I have not tried these plastic ones with a stop in the back. I wouldn't expect them to be real durable, Mickey. Let us know how that works out. If you like the way they work, find some metal ones. I think you'll extra like them.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the tip Scott, yeah maybe the one that was on Cigarobsession (can't remember his name right now) is metal....but it was only $14.99 so still a steal lol
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

I got one as a gift from kickerb. It sucks. His is great. I need to send mine back. It never worked right.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
kickerb

Yeah, I'm really starting to dislike mine. The blades don't close tight leaving a small gap between the blades. I also get the cigar cut 'bump' more often now than before. I wouldn't recommend it at this point. Especially since Justin's one was a piece of garbage.

There are better options IMO. But, considering the price point, it's not a bad deal.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
kickerb

Also, to me it takes off too much of the cap. Does good with larger ring gauge cigars, but will butcher the small rig gauges.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Hmmm, thanks for your feedback Bryan......I really just like the idea of how the hole stops the cigar to give you that "perfect" cut......I will see how it goes, I love my punch, and I haven't figured out the whoe cutting thing yet so I thought this would be "perfect."

Do any other cutters have this type of hole to prevent the jagged mess some of us get?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

http://amzn.com/B003MB0Q2Q this is the one i bought was about 13 after shipping and what can i say it just works great
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
Also, to me it takes off too much of the cap. Does good with larger ring gauge cigars, but will butcher the small rig gauges.

There's a really good point that I missed. They aren't good for really small rings, the cut is too deep unless you hold the cigar back from the bottom. It'll take all the caps off and square the end.
I've never had a "bump" issue with the metal ones, but it stands to reason. Plastic probably can't stand up to the force required to cut very many cigars without giving way.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
http://amzn.com/B003MB0Q2Q this is the one i bought was about 13 after shipping and what can i say it just works great
That's the one I have.
The other one is this...
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I also have one of these ridiculous things from Cuban Crafters. I've never used it, but it's fun to play with. It'd make a better izmel than a cigar tool.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

I like that cohiba cutter i wonder how it does on torps
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That's the one I have.
The other one is this...
Dang! looks like I didn't research well enough, oh well for the price I paid I'm not b!tching and who knows I might really like it, and if I don't I have links to these

Thanks guys
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'm going to get one of these. My cutter is a bit of a butcher...
Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Dang! looks like I didn't research well enough, oh well for the price I paid I'm not b!tching and who knows I might really like it, and if I don't I have links to these

Thanks guys
That Cohiba was the very first cutter I ever owned that wasn't a plastic store freebie, Mick. I'm a bit sentimental on it.
I paid a good bit more than $6.95, too. I'm thinking around 25 bucks shipped on ebay.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Ouch, that's pricey.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Honestly, it didn't take me long to figure out the way of the Palio. Last cutter I will buy. Most likely, anyways. Now I need to get a good lighter. Though now that I've learned how to properly purge, my Ronsons and Lotus are working great!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

I have my eye on a Xikar Executive dual flame, but I can't find a decent price yet....need to check with my local B&M still.

Speaking of which and not wanting to start a nother thread which is better: a dual or triple flame, my cheapo triple flame that I have and love (built in punch is why I love it) seems to run out of fuel too often, unlike my single flame Ronsons.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I've been using mine for 5 or 6 years and love it.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I've been using mine for 5 or 6 years and love it.
Plastic or steel?