Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough
Default Storing Infused Cigars

So i want to keep a couple boxes of different infused cigars on hand (for my odd sweet tooth and for guests who arent really into cigars). But obviously i dont want to store them in my main humi.

Could i store them in sealed glass jars in my humi or on a shelf outside of my humi?

Would each individual jar need humidification?

I have a small desktop that i might repurpose for infused sticks once my aristocrat gets here , but i dont think it will quite be large enough for my needs. And i dont want to invest alot of money in storing cigars for the odd guest that is not into regular sticks.

Ideas?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Storing Infused Cigars

Jars are fine, so is tupperware or ziplock bags. Use a Boveda pack in each if you will be storing for more than a month or two. If you plan on smoking them all within a few months they wont need humidification.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

I like the sealed glass jar idea with a Boveda contained therein. Cant go wrong there.

Or, a dedicated humidor with beads or a Boveda. But I think the jar would hold moisture and flavors better.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I have a humi for my cigars and my wives cigars(she smokes infused) . I know BHALBROOKS does the same. But i do not see a problem with Jars with a humi device in it. If you ask me i think they would look pretty cool on a shelf. I would just make sure you use a JAR like below. It has a seal and a locking lid.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

One Humidor and one Acidor here. My observations, if I may :

If you are going to do the jar route, that will work as long as all infused are the same " flavor". If you start storing Acid Blondies in the same jar with Java Late and Kuba Kubas I'll tell you right now you will regret it. In separate compartments in my Acidor however, has no ill effects.

Infused do not benefit from aging. A two year old Acid belongs in the trash, because the infusion sours. The infusion is actually a myriad of multiple elements and some expire earlier than others, creating an unbalanced, horrible concoction ! I have come across this! But the tobacco will dry out so include humidification if your plan is long term. While storing I keep the cello on, if you are interested.

Jar storage without a packet may be good for a month, sort of like Bob said. I get a better value and buy by the case, and I also smoke non infused so 25 Acids will be around more than 30 days. So mine get humidification.

I suggest only storing as many infused as you can enjoy within 90 days. You can stay consistently stocked just date and rotate. Since I have a humi I can oder a case, smoke them down, then just reorder.

Last edited by Bondo 287; 01-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

I used a stainless jar kinda like the acrylic jar, with a cheapie hydrometer and a drymistat stick. I normally leave the drymistat stick in for a few days and then take it out. The jar normally holds 68-70 RH for about 15-20 days no problem. When the RH dips to about 63RH I add the stick again.

Now I dont smoke every day so my jar opens maybe once a week. You may need to add and remove your humidity source more or less depending on how often you smoke, or not at all if you go with beads. I have found since I am using a jar over a humidor, the drymistat stick will settle around 73-74 RH if left in the jar.

Also I keep all my infused sticks in cello, i have never had an issue with having blondies and something like a kuba kuba or java mixing. I have even left a few non infused sticks in the jar for a week or so with no issues! But this is just my experience, I wouldnt leave non infused sticks in for much longer.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Infused cigars will change flavors if you have other infused cigars along side them. Jars are cheap, bovedas are about 3-4 bucks a piece. Just get 5 or 6 jars, store each lot of particular stick in the jars and put a boveda in each one. So your cigars might cost a dollar each extra overall due to the storage costs, but it's better than grabbing an acid blondie and having it taste exactly like a Kuba Kuba. Trust me, I learned from experience.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
it's better than grabbing an acid blondie and having it taste exactly like a Kuba Kuba.
Sounds like a travesty

I would just use ziplock bags
Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
jldude12345
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jonathan
Montecristo
jldude12345 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Storing Infused Cigars

You can buy a seperate humidor for the infused stogies. They go for 15 to 20 on ebay.
jldude12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

I have an aristocrat on the way so now myy desktop will be converted/upgraded for infused sticks.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
mjdx88
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
mjdx88 is on a distinguished road

Nice call....i wish I could have a separate humi for infused..right now tho my jar works great then again I usually only have 10-15 infused sticks at a time.
mjdx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

Yeah. when my aristocrat gets here im going to take apart the deaktop and upgrade the seals upgrade the hygro and change to beads for humidification.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I store my infused cigars where they belong . . . in the distributor's warehouse.

No, I'm not.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I always leave my Infused Sticks at the B&M right there on the shelves that way anybody can have them!!! LOL
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
Sadden
Its only money...

Cohiba

Im just planning on having a small box or so on hand for people who dont really smoke cigars. also gonna try and get the gf into the hobby. Im not really a fan of sucking sugra through a straw.