Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road
Default Seal on cabinet

I have a montegue cabinet humidor, which lives in my office on the 1st floor. I've had it for about four months now. I have weatherstripped the doors and drawer, per pictures and instructions here:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...22&postcount=7
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...27&postcount=8

One thing I have noticed recently is that when I come home from work and walk into my office, I swear I can smell the aroma of cigars from inside my montegue within a few feet of the humidor. Do you think that means that I have a seal issue, with air escaping? Or is this normal? Could it be because of spring and the air is warming up (I don't recall noticing this until the past 2 weeks)?

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Seal on cabinet

I would go more by what a calibrated hygrometer was reading than by smell when determining whether or not a seal was good, Matthew.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I would go more by what a calibrated hygrometer was reading than by smell when determining whether or not a seal was good, Matthew.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I agree. Quite frankly i would love it if my humidor keep humidity and made the man cave smell like a box of cigars
Old 03-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

I would think so too, but it seems like my cigar oasis turns itself on every few minutes, as I can hear it inside the cabinet. Is this normal? I got to thinking that maybe if the seal isn't airtight, that would explain why the damn thing turns on every few minutes. Plus, the past few sticks that I've smoked seemed to be a bit on the dry side to me.

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

If the Cigar Oasis is turning on every few minutes, and your cigars are dry, it sounds like you absolutely have a bad seal.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
nater

How thick was the weatherstripping you used? You said it is a recent issue? Has anything changed?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

I used 1/8 x 3/8 foam tape, the same in the photo in the first link above. Ever since I got the montegue in December, I've had to refill the cigar oasis every couple of days, and I noticed when I am in the office for a long time that I could hear it start up every few minutes for 30 seconds or so. I just assumed that it was because it was winter time and the air was so dry.

I will say that I recently purchased a boat load shilala's beads. I have about 12 of the large bags in my humi now, and I also have the cabinet nearly full of cigars (in December it wasn't very full). I haven't been paying as close of attention to the frequency of the cigar oasis starting up recently, so I don't know if this has changed from winter time (its gotten warmer here over the past 2 weeks). Maybe shilala's beads are working well, and the overkill of 12 bags is really helping! But I noticed the smell of my cigars a few days ago, which is what prompted this whole thought process.

This montegue is my first cabinet, so I don't know what I should expect to observe in a good seal versus a bad one. But the past week or two, I am not happy with my smokes, as they seem a bit brittle (the caps have been breaking when I use a punch cut, which didn't happen before!).

Last edited by paris1129; 03-21-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: wasn't finished
Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Yeah sounds like a leak or bad seal. Thats not good if your oasis is running non stop and your smokes are still dry. One of my humidors is a converted glass front book case and its pretty leaky but my humicare unit keeps up and my smokes are perfect even in the winter when it runs non stop like yours.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

You weather stripped it and it still leaks?

Have you tried green, pink or red masking tape yet?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

I haven't tried any masking tape yet. I will keep an eye on this for a couple weeks and see if things improve, as I've only had shilala's beads for a week for two. Maybe they will keep the levels stable and give my sticks a time to settle in.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

sounds like a bad seal.

newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
nater

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1129 View Post
I haven't tried any masking tape yet. I will keep an eye on this for a couple weeks and see if things improve, as I've only had shilala's beads for a week for two. Maybe they will keep the levels stable and give my sticks a time to settle in.
That is the one thing I have learned... To expect instant results from a humidor is too much. My vino took almost a week to settle in, and that is with no wood to speak of. Have you tried the flashlight test?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
sounds like a bad seal.

cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

Okay, I've spent some time in my office today, and it seems to be pretty consistent: The cigar oasis will turn on every 2-4 minutes, but only runs for about 10-15 seconds. But it happens over and over and over again! So this sounds like a seal issue, then, right? This is my first cigar oasis, so I do not know what the normal activity on this unit should be.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

I had a Cigar Oasis on a small end table cabinet. It ran quite a bit.
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater View Post
That is the one thing I have learned... To expect instant results from a humidor is too much. My vino took almost a week to settle in, and that is with no wood to speak of. Have you tried the flashlight test?
I have no clue why it never occurred to me to try a flashlight! Sure enough, there were a couple of spots where the lower doors came together where I could see some light! I have added some extra weatherstipping in several key spots. After the additional weatherstripping, there is still the tiniest bit of light that you can see along the bottom 1/4 of the doors where they touch when shut, but its literally only a sliver. Besides, if I lock the doors shut, the lock seems to keep the doors tight enough that this sliver disappears, so I think we are good to go!
Of course, I had the doors open for a long time messing around with the additional weatherstripping, which dropped the RH way down! However, I've noticed that in 10-15 minutes since I locked it shut, the humidity is already jumped back up from 62 to 66 RH! I don't think I've ever seen recovery that quickly before. Hopefully that is a good sign that I've got a nice tight seal now!

Thanks for the help, everyone! I love Cigar Asylum!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
nater

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1129 View Post
I have no clue why it never occurred to me to try a flashlight! Sure enough, there were a couple of spots where the lower doors came together where I could see some light! I have added some extra weatherstipping in several key spots. After the additional weatherstripping, there is still the tiniest bit of light that you can see along the bottom 1/4 of the doors where they touch when shut, but its literally only a sliver. Besides, if I lock the doors shut, the lock seems to keep the doors tight enough that this sliver disappears, so I think we are good to go!
Of course, I had the doors open for a long time messing around with the additional weatherstripping, which dropped the RH way down! However, I've noticed that in 10-15 minutes since I locked it shut, the humidity is already jumped back up from 62 to 66 RH! I don't think I've ever seen recovery that quickly before. Hopefully that is a good sign that I've got a nice tight seal now!

Thanks for the help, everyone! I love Cigar Asylum!
Good stuff man! Glad it may be solved for you. Hopefully we can have a smoke one day together
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
If the Cigar Oasis is turning on every few minutes, and your cigars are dry, it sounds like you absolutely have a bad seal.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

You could have a bad Oasis...happened to me.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote