Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road
Default Opus X Petite Lancero-First Review WOOT!!!

Hey guys, I am betting this may be a little rough since it's my first review, hopefully they'll go smoother over time. Today's review is of the Fuente Opus X Petite Lancero. I found this cigar at a local B&M about 2 weeks ago and has been in my humi since. I did not get the date on these because they had assorted sizes two Reserva De Cheateau boxes. This is a very pretty cigar, having only 2 noticable veins. It weighs in at 6.25 x 39 and is a Dominican Puro with a tapered head. It cost me around $11.00. I barely clipped the head and.....plugged. Usually with Torpedos(if I dont take enough off)this happens to me. So I took some more off...plugged! Oh no, this scarred the crap out of me. One more cut I thought then off to find a poker...Thankfully third time was a charm, and the draw was perfect to my liking, just a slight amount of resistance. The first puff was not at all what I expected, actually the same was the case with the whole cigar. It was a medium-full strength at best spice with extremely pronounced flavors of pepper and a very nice balancing sweet woodsiness. I loved how pronounced the flavors were in this cigar, it made it very easy for my amateur palate to pick out the flavors. This cigar also developed throughout flavors of saltiness, chocolate, and a slight subtle fruity-like flavor. You have to be careful though, as I would assume if you did not sip this carefully enough it could turn sour/bitter/hot. Mine did not, as I was careful, but a little bit too carefully, it went out three times, all could be chalked up as waiting too long in between puffs. I haven't smoked many lanceros, this one has really turned me towards lanceros, I will get the hang of it. I nubbed this baby till it burned me, and it it was that good I will definately be seeking some out, which gets me to the price point. Is it worth 11.00? In my opinion, hell frikin yes, and more. If you haven't had one, definately try one. It is now my favorite NC. If you like other Opus I cannot guarantee you will enjoy this, though, due to it is mild compared to other Opus. Heck, if if you buy 'em and hate 'em sell them to me! Like I said, I am not sure on the age of these, definately 2009s something though, it's scary if these could get any better, so complex and tasty, I cannot get over how good this cigar was! My rating was 96/100, points were deducted due to the burn a little wavy, it going out(my fault partially really), and the lack of complexity on the last third(still complex just not as complex as the first and second thirds). I didn't think of writing a review online until the final third, so that's why not pics, next time though, for sure!
tomc3084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opus X Petite Lancero-First Review WOOT!!!

Well done, brother. Thank You!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
NeverEnoughStick

Greta review and great smoke! Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
homerjay19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (10)
Partagas
homerjay19 is on a distinguished road

Nice review! Thanks!
homerjay19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the Review!
I've got one of these in my humi from 09... going to let it sit to mellow out some more.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Well done, thanks for chipping in a solid review!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Nice review!

I smoked one of these on New Years and it was outstanding!

I have another in the humi resting. I hope to sit on it for at least 2 years to see what it could become...

issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review! I recently "discovered" lanceros and have really come to like them. I will have to give this one a try

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

One of my favorites too. Lucky for me I've never found them for $11 or I'd probably be broke.
srduggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Nice review. This is the only Opus I've ever smoked and I wasn't too impressed. I got pretty much the same flavor profile as you, but with a lot of harshness, maybe they need more time. There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what the actual dimensions are on this cigar. I have a hard time considering a cigar that measures 5 1/8 x 43 a "lancero," with is much closer to a pointy corona or short lonsdale, IMO. This was the dimension I read when I originally smoked it, but it seems like a lot of poeple now are reporting the dimensions as ~7 x 39. Did they change the size, does anyone know for sure what the official dimensions are?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Not normally a big Opus fan, but as I continually try to want to like these, I read reviews.

Nice job for a rookie.

Peace of the Lord be iwht you.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice first review. Not a big fan of the Opus X.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I am smoking the first one of these that I have ever had. All I can say is Killer!!! So far it has had a perfect burn and a very solid ash. Lots of flavorful smoke. Definitely full bodied and full flavored, but I can snork and nose exhale with ease. This one if from '08... I can only imagine what these are like with 5+ years of age on them.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
papichulo
Diablo Canoso

Trading: (2)
papichulo will become famous soon enough

This is my favorite post 2005 Opus X. To me, this is a gem from toast to the last 1/2 inch. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

I appreciate you reviewing an Opus X that I can actually find locally
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

From one newb to the next, nice review.

My only suggestion would be to work on document design. There's a lot to be said about a well structured document and one that, well, isn't.

Don't take that the wrong way, it's just a suggestion.