Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Bobrow Brothers Bold Invincibles, 1932

The tax stamp on these fivers tells a story of a cigar made in or before 1932 by the Bobrow Brothers factory at 220 South 5th St, Philadelphia. With the Great Depression in full stride, these were still 25¢ a pack, so they were not scrimping on quality

As the name of the cigar implies, it was manufactured (very likely from Cuban filler, almost certainly with a Sumatra wrapper) to be a stronger cigar than was the norm in those times, when most cigars were advertised as "mild." Even 80 years later, it delivers.

The construction is solid and the cigar holds together remarkably well. Clipping just a quarter-inch from the non-punched head reveals a pre-light draw of sweetness and dried fruit. The narrow foot takes little flame to light.

Right off, the distinct background of dried fruit asserts itself; currant, apricot. The real surprise with these is always the strength; 80 years and this stick still delivers a full, bold, almost peppery flavor. Little nicotine, naturally. But what flavor!

Around the middle and to the end, the flavor of dark berries weaves in and out; the flavor and strength intensifies but the mild pepper mellows and you're left with a little flavor bomb to nub enthusiastically.

A beautiful way to start 2012; I wish I had a thousand or so of these.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bobrow Brothers Bold Invincibles, 1932

Awesome review! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Love your vintage reviews, Joe! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Ed21201
Puffin in B-More

First Name: Ed
Trading: (0)
Ed21201 is on a distinguished road

Nice review! Looks delicious!
Ed21201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Joe, I know you said you had some aged cigars. I had no idea now old. Very nice review!!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Your recent reviews inspired me to fire up a 1940's La Prosa last night, Joe....it held up pretty darn well for a 70 year old smoke.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Your recent reviews inspired me to fire up a 1940's La Prosa last night, Joe....it held up pretty darn well for a 70 year old smoke.
Sweet! Smoking something like that connects you in a small way to a time that most of us can only imagine.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm glad to be able to share these ancient sticks with all of you.

Tom, you might recall the 2001 (or so) Añejos I scored in December of '06; despite the presence of some water damage to the bands, I've smoked several of them in the six years since and found them to be marvelous. The next time we get a substantial group together for a local herf I'm going to bring one for a PPP. I'd love to get a group review of an 10-year-old Añejo.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Ameliacha
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Ameliacha is on a distinguished road

Hi there - I just found this site while looking for images of Bobrow Brothers Cigars. I can't tell you how excited I was to read, not only that you had some of these cigars, but that you enjoyed smoking them so much. You see, the Bobrow brothers were my great-grandfather and great-uncles. I grew up in a cloud of Sunday evening cigar smoke, my grandfather a master smoke-ring blower. What a delight to learn that people are still smoking and enjoying my family's legacy all these years later!

If you aren't using those cigar bands for anything else, I would dearly love to have one of my own. Please let me know if that's possible! Thanks for your wonderful review; I'm going to share it with my mother and I know she will love the memories it will evoke for her.

Cheers,
Amy
Ameliacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameliacha View Post
Hi there - I just found this site while looking for images of Bobrow Brothers Cigars. I can't tell you how excited I was to read, not only that you had some of these cigars, but that you enjoyed smoking them so much. You see, the Bobrow brothers were my great-grandfather and great-uncles. I grew up in a cloud of Sunday evening cigar smoke, my grandfather a master smoke-ring blower. What a delight to learn that people are still smoking and enjoying my family's legacy all these years later!

If you aren't using those cigar bands for anything else, I would dearly love to have one of my own. Please let me know if that's possible! Thanks for your wonderful review; I'm going to share it with my mother and I know she will love the memories it will evoke for her.

Cheers,
Amy
How freakin' cool is this! It makes me very happy that you have that connection to these wonderful smokes, and that you found this thread. When I smoke these or any of the other really old cigars, I always like to imagine being in the store at the time, smoking them fresh. I envy your connection through your family.

PM sent.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
How freakin' cool is this! It makes me very happy that you have that connection to these wonderful smokes, and that you found this thread. When I smoke these or any of the other really old cigars, I always like to imagine being in the store at the time, smoking them fresh. I envy your connection through your family.

PM sent.
Wow! That's awesome!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

this is freaking awesome

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote