Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Warnings About Windows 7

I live here in the eastern part of the United States and use Windows 7 on my laptop computer. I just tried to play Flags of our Fathers and the Queen at Wembley DVD's. Both came up under Windows Media Center as a not supported region for replay. Both are region 1 and both played fine under HP media player. Just something else to watch out for on Microsoft products. Kind of like the hooker who will not leave you alone, she screws you and keeps on screwing.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warnings About Windows 7

I previewed 7 all through beta. Did the same with Longhorn/Vista.
I'll stick with MCE 2005 till someone comes out with something that doesn't totally suck.
I was dual booting 7 for a few months and just flat gave up on it. Bill and his DRM can eat me. It's bad enough that it's worked into the OS, but even worse when it doesn't work properly.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
taltos
Really, really old

taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Scott, there is a whole lot that I like about Windows 7 but there are problems and things that I would like to see fixed with patches. For example, you can use compatibility mode after a program is installed but sometimes you can't read the install because of a compatibility problem. I would like to see this available to load before you try to install a program. I also hate the nanny state where they check with you for any action that modifies a program on the hard drive. I hate the new 90 day certification program that invades your hard drive every day to approve your os and tells you if it is a genuine copy. I can have a copy declared fake if I install new memory on my laptop. Overall it is a very stable system and manages memory and resources much better than XP. I also hate Windows Live and would prefer to return to Outlook express. Hopefully patches will be issued. None of my wishes require major reprogramming.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

You could use AnyDVD. Gets rid of region problems.
I think it runs about $50 now. I bought it years ago when it was below $20.

There is a free trial.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
For example, you can use compatibility mode after a program is installed but sometimes you can't read the install because of a compatibility problem. I would like to see this available to load before you try to install a program.
If you right-click the installer and go into properties you can set the compatibility mode that the installer itself will run under. You might have to then set the compatibility mode for the program itself after installation, I've never had to run any installer in compatibility mode so I'm not sure.

Quote:
I also hate the nanny state where they check with you for any action that modifies a program on the hard drive.
This is the same thing as UAC was in Vista. You can tone down, or fully disable, this in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> User Account Control Settings.

Quote:
I hate the new 90 day certification program that invades your hard drive every day to approve your os and tells you if it is a genuine copy.
I've never even noticed this, if you're running Windows Update regularly you should never see anything about the genuine software guarantee program outside updates. Sadly this is a direct response to all the pirated copies floating about, and one that makes zero difference in actually reducing piracy since most copies are from enterprise volume licensing agreements that don't require activation in the first place.

Quote:
I can have a copy declared fake if I install new memory on my laptop.
This was introduced with WinXP and at most all you need to do is rerun activation and in 10+ years of technical support I've never personally seen it happen. Although to be fair I haven't been cursed with supporting desktops professionally over 6 years. The process maps the unique id's manufacturers hardcode onto all their chipsets and looks for a significant change event, I believe at least 8 unique id's must change at one time to trigger this response. Simply replacing or upgrading your ram would not be nearly enough change to affect the perceived validity of your OS.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Scott, there is a whole lot that I like about Windows 7 but there are problems and things that I would like to see fixed with patches. For example, you can use compatibility mode after a program is installed but sometimes you can't read the install because of a compatibility problem. I would like to see this available to load before you try to install a program. I also hate the nanny state where they check with you for any action that modifies a program on the hard drive. I hate the new 90 day certification program that invades your hard drive every day to approve your os and tells you if it is a genuine copy. I can have a copy declared fake if I install new memory on my laptop. Overall it is a very stable system and manages memory and resources much better than XP. I also hate Windows Live and would prefer to return to Outlook express. Hopefully patches will be issued. None of my wishes require major reprogramming.
Most of your issues are settings, and how may I ask that you know it wouldn't require major programming?

Last edited by JE3146; 04-09-2010 at 05:47 PM.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
systm
Still Watching My Back

systm has disabled reputation

I'm with JE3146 on this one.

As far as the Reigon disc thing goes, that may be a setting in the MC or just an issue with your install I've watched tons of different DVDs on two of my win7 Machines and not a single problem
systm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have been impressed with 7, lots better than Vista.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
taltos
Really, really old

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Most of your issues are settings, and how may I ask that you know it wouldn't require major programming?
Conversations with people who develop applications to work with windows. I was able to clear up many problems by upgrading from home premium to professional. Still feel that XP was better but this is now better.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
klipsch

I updated all my codec info after installing Win 7 Pro, and haven't had any issues what so ever. shark007.net
Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Bill and his DRM can eat me.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

That's why I do not and never will own an iPod or shop iTunes.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
You could use AnyDVD. Gets rid of region problems.
I think it runs about $50 now. I bought it years ago when it was below $20.

There is a free trial.
I swear by this software.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Conversations with people who develop applications to work with windows. I was able to clear up many problems by upgrading from home premium to professional. Still feel that XP was better but this is now better.
Try having conversations with people who develop Windows before making statements like that

I guarantee you're wrong that anything is just as simple as changing a few lines of code and calling it a day to make things better for all mankind when it involves an operating system.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
systm
Still Watching My Back

systm has disabled reputation

I also second the codecs statement that it's often the lack of a drivers/codecs for most problems. BTW DRM isn't remotely related to Gates. Whiles Mr Jobs was an initial supporter of it and then backtracked and started selling "Plus" Tracks without DRM.
systm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

OK, I understand the whole thing about portability and convenience, but riddle me this: Isn't using you laptop to watch DVDs sort of like using your Beemer to plow the back forty? Just , and since that's about all I have, I also have no laptop, and thus no such option nor temptation.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
OK, I understand the whole thing about portability and convenience, but riddle me this: Isn't using you laptop to watch DVDs sort of like using your Beemer to plow the back forty? Just , and since that's about all I have, I also have no laptop, and thus no such option nor temptation.
smoking a cigar on the porch and watching may leave you with few other options I bet.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

x64 Pro is significantly different than either 32/64 versions of Home Premium. If nothing else, Pro offers XP compatibility mode (assuming your CPU supports it).

I have limited experience with Win7, but so far I like it. I too understand the DRM complaints, but what other options do you have? Apple embraces DRM too. So what are you going to use for your primary OS, Linux? I understand Linux has its place in the server world or for geeks with desktops, but I don't think it has much value on a laptop. Friggen GUIs are just too clunky. Not to mention the average user can't spell Linux let alone operate it.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #18
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Apple embraces DRM too. So what are you going to use for your primary OS, Linux? I understand Linux has its place in the server world or for geeks with desktops, but I don't think it has much value on a laptop. Friggen GUIs are just too clunky. Not to mention the average user can't spell Linux let alone operate it.
I disagree. Linux isn't for your average user yes, but the gui's aren't clunky. Gnome is simple, add a dock and it looks like OSX. KDE looks like a standard windows setup, not sure who would have trouble navigating that.

And agreed, Linux is a pain on most laptops (damn wireless drivers!). Though there are some versions built for netbooks that are actually pretty nice and work out of the box. Plus, with the newest ubuntu supporting ipod/iphone support out of the box, i'd say the casual user could use it without too much fuss.