Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
CW Piperman
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
CW Piperman is on a distinguished road
Default Pushing the Seasoning

Hi all,

So I bit the bullet, and graduated from my Pelikan 1500 case with cedar trays (the Pelidor) and a cedar Boveda holder for 2 69% Boveda packs to a brand, spankin' new NewAir CC-300H wineador. Set it up, and started seasoning with Boveda 84% packs as instructed by both NA and Boveda (300 realistic cigars / 25 cigars/pack = 12 60gm 84% packs. Started seasoning about a week ago, and everything was going well, up to about 83.5% sustained as measured by 2 SensorPush calibrated (via Boveda calibration kit) hygrometers at a nice constant 67.5F. Over the last 3 days, the humidity started to drop slowly, even tho it was never opened and Boveda reccommends not opening the NewAir for 2 weeks of seasoning. I had a feeling I knew what was going on, and, sure enough, biting the bullet and opening it found the Boveda packs still flexible, but starting to get "crunchy". Not wanting to screw things up, I soaked a sponge in distilled water and only wrung it slightly, and added it to the fray. Today, I noted that the humidity won't go above 70%, but is up a little, down a little, up a little...you get the picture.

My next trick was to fill the little seasoning reservoir that NewAir provided and place it in the winador as well. We'll see how that goes. I have been leaving the Bovedas in there, as I reasoned that they won't begin to suck humidity out of the air until it hits 84%, so they are not going to be a drag on the liquid.

Advice? I'm thinking that thing's going to need more than 12 Bovedas to keep it to my preferred humidity of 65% (listen to me...I have a preferred humidity....I've been smoking cigars for like 2 months....). I really don't want to season forever, if only because it's so hot around here right now (and we have no AC) it's hard to keep my Pelidor cool enough. I am not worried about beetles, however, as I hit the sticky here at CA and took the precautionary step of freezing all of my 50 cigar stash at -12F for 117 hours.....I'm guessing no more beetle worry. However, I would like to use my wineador at some point......

Thanks for the help?

CW
Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pushing the Seasoning

When the cooling system runs, it will pull moisture out of the air. It’s going to be hard, if not impossible, for some passive moisture sources to keep up with a mechanical cooling system. I think you’ll find most folks here with a NewAir don’t run the refrigerator system.

I freeze all my cigars. But, in reality, cigars from a major roller shouldn’t need it. If you buy cigars from some little shop, then freezing is a must. My only beetle problem in more than 20 years came from a little shop in Ybor City (Tampa).
Old 07-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I like Boveda for small jobs but for my cooler-dor I use Heartfelt Beads. Try seasoning with the wet sponge method then switch to the beads. My cooler-dor is almost maintenance free. BTW, the relative in relative humidity means relative to temprature. If the cooling mechanism is cycling on and off, doing its job, then you'll see the fluctuation you're seeing. I'm guessing that your Boveda packs are still absorbing moisture from your sponge, preventing your RH from climbing higher. With them so dry, they will absorb moisture below 84%. If you use only the sponge method, you should see better seasoning results; then switch to beads. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Just put a head of lettuce in there.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #5
CW Piperman
Just in from the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I like Boveda for small jobs but for my cooler-dor I use Heartfelt Beads. Try seasoning with the wet sponge method then switch to the beads. My cooler-dor is almost maintenance free. BTW, the relative in relative humidity means relative to temprature. If the cooling mechanism is cycling on and off, doing its job, then you'll see the fluctuation you're seeing. I'm guessing that your Boveda packs are still absorbing moisture from your sponge, preventing your RH from climbing higher. With them so dry, they will absorb moisture below 84%. If you use only the sponge method, you should see better seasoning results; then switch to beads. Good luck!
Removed the Bovedas, put in a DW Sponge and a dish of DW (no more sponges). Humidity already rising.

How many (much) Heartfelt beads would you use for a 2.6 cubic foot Newair? Is there a "best" container for them?

CW
Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I actually like the shilia beads better, the composition of the bead has more surface as well as a structure that stands up better over time. Everything you need to know is here...

http://www.cigarbeads.com/
Old 07-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
CW Piperman
Just in from the Storm

Well, I pulled everything and added 2 sponges soaked in distilled water, on flat plates with good air circulation. At the same time, we had a huge thunderstorm, and I decided to pull the plug on the empty humidor, rather than have it get fried by a lightning strike.

Next day, RH up to 89%, and it's been there ever since (this was Thursday night).

I never thought that having the humidor turned on and set a 68F would drop the RH, but there you have it. It's been off since, seasoning at room temp (about 80F here right now). I have no doubt that even tho it's a Thermoelectric device, turning it on will drop the RH again.

How long should it sit at 89% to season the shelves and drawers before I put cigars in and turn it on to 70F? I'm also going to be putting 3 XL tubes of 65% Heartfelt beads for humidification....plus a few 65% Bovedas since I have them, for good measure.

Thanks!!!!!

CW
Old 07-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

To properly judge the success of your seasoning, you really need a wood moisture meter. Here’s a link to a discussion of wood moisture meters: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...isture-meters/

Personally, I prefer the pin type because you can push the pin in to different depths and see how the moisture penetrates.

Or, you could say, “Screw this nerd, Bob!” And figure it’s good enough already. Really, it’s all gonna equalize out over time.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Piperman View Post
Well, I pulled everything and added 2 sponges soaked in distilled water, on flat plates with good air circulation. At the same time, we had a huge thunderstorm, and I decided to pull the plug on the empty humidor, rather than have it get fried by a lightning strike.

Next day, RH up to 89%, and it's been there ever since (this was Thursday night).

I never thought that having the humidor turned on and set a 68F would drop the RH, but there you have it. It's been off since, seasoning at room temp (about 80F here right now). I have no doubt that even tho it's a Thermoelectric device, turning it on will drop the RH again.

How long should it sit at 89% to season the shelves and drawers before I put cigars in and turn it on to 70F? I'm also going to be putting 3 XL tubes of 65% Heartfelt beads for humidification....plus a few 65% Bovedas since I have them, for good measure.

Thanks!!!!!

CW
Like Bob said; it's probably good already. When you turn on the cooling your RH may spike so don't over fill the beads; leave some capacity for them to absorb some of that moisture. I'd wait to put your sticks in until it levels out.
At 80°F and 89% RH your dew point is 77°F so when you lower the temp below the dew point you get condensation.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
CW Piperman
Just in from the Storm

Got it. Will do. Thanks to all, and I will certainly leave capacity for the beads to absorb and even it out.

CW
Old 07-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW Piperman View Post
Got it. Will do. Thanks to all, and I will certainly leave capacity for the beads to absorb and even it out.

CW
Let us all know.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #12
david0912

If you want to enjoy your life fully with friends and cigar and leave other unimportant task such as making bathtub gin assignment then just thing of this friend.

Last edited by icehog3; 04-16-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:01 AM   #13
siennamoseley

If you are also looking for any cheap crystal meth service UK to get you out of this trouble, then put a halt to your search; you can count on us for it.

Last edited by icehog3; 04-17-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #14
lexiedwards

If you are looking for some Anal lube or any other academic help then reach Assignment Desk.

Last edited by icehog3; 04-17-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Closed this thread, as it had been inactive for 9 months until the UK spammer latched on to it.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Closed Thread