Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #21
yellowgoat

Default Re: absinthe advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Green Chartreuse will give something extra over just getting drunk. Just make sure not to carry any weapons and call the Police ahead of time!

Chartreuse is an excellent liquor for cigars.
I have a bottle of this stuff. Green Chartreuse. I haven't had it before or even looked at the stuff really, I may have to crack open the S.O.B. tonight!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowgoat View Post
I have a bottle of this stuff. Green Chartreuse. I haven't had it before or even looked at the stuff really, I may have to crack open the S.O.B. tonight!
In a brandy glass, some like it in a rocks glass with ice. Take your time with it as it will grow on you if give a sophmore attempt. Let us know how you make out, and have it with a cigar!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #23
yellowgoat

Will do!

Cheers!
Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #24
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

I know I've come a little late to this thread but I have been drinking absinthe for 5 years now and I only buy from one place

Alandia World of Absinthe

Personal recommendations:

If your looking for the full affect Strong68 has the full licorice flavor at the classic alcohol percentage

If your looking for something a little milder to start I recommend the Franco Suisse. It has a slightly lower alcohol content and a different recipe. Unlike some sites most everything you find here is gonna have different flavors because all recipes are different
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

I think the green fairy still contains wormwood which has the active Toujlin ( spelling is off ) that is supposed to be the hallucinogen in it. Does it work? Not sure I'm sure if you buy a wormwood extract and go from there maybe.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #26
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
The whole Absinthe thing is pure marketing at this point. It's just another shitty tasting high proof alcohol. It will not make you high, see green fairies, or anything else, just drunk.
I beg to differ. In my experience, the real stuff gives you a bit different 'high' than does straight alcohol. No visual hallucination, just a mild but profound relaxant. Yes, there is a lot of hype. However, to say that there is no difference from any other liquor just does not jibe with my experience at all.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #27
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

LGC

I must agree with Doctorossi while I have had no hallucinogenic experience with absinthe it is a very different feeling from just plain old drunk
Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #28
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I was surprised no one mentioned lighting the sugar cube on fire. Alot of
folks I see do that once the ab has been poured through it. But as expert as I consider myself to be on everything, I don't know $hl+ about absinthe.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

Never heard of that before OLS. Interesting.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #30
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

The US versions barely have any thujone (the hallucinogen in the original absinthe) in it, which is regulated to allow it to be sold in the US. The thujone is created when fermenting the wormwood. A friend of mine buys absinthe and re-ferments it with wormwood to increase the thujone content. Works sometimes. I have not had alot of absinthe but read up on it. Lucid is crap in my opinion. Sebor I hear is good.
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #31
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

LGC

Lighting the sugar cube on fire is part o the Czech ritual and really the only difference between the Czech and traditional methods. Works best with 70% or higher alcohol content
Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #32
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

The thujone (psychoactive chemical in grand wormwood) levels in most absinthes are controlled even in Europe, so in most cases the absinthe you are drinking is not as strong as the older stuff. The "poison" in the old stuff was actually methanol (wood alcohol) created by improper fermentation of the wormwood, and it is widely believed that any ill effects that led to Absinthe being banned were from this and the simple fact that it has an incredibly high alcohol content. Thujone is classified as a hallucinogen, but from my experiences, the effect is more similar to marijuana than to any hard hallucinogens like LSD or mushrooms. IMO, drinking absinthe is about enjoying a refined elegant, coctail with an ancient, mysterious ritual, and enjoying the slight trance it induces, rather than chasing any green fairies and trying to see sh!t that isn't there. Logan Fils and Un Emile are two of my favorite brands. An expensive but delicious treat.
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #33
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
the effect is more similar to marijuana than to any hard hallucinogens like LSD or mushrooms. IMO, drinking absinthe is about enjoying a refined elegant, coctail with an ancient, mysterious ritual, and enjoying the slight trance it induces, rather than chasing any green fairies and trying to see sh!t that isn't there.
Well said and a mirror of my thoughts.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #34
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

A friend has a beautiful ab fountain with 4 spigots. She has wonderful handmade ab glasses and all fancy imported ab. Couldn’t tell you one brand name, but recognize some bottles from the ab URL posted earlier. Every time I have tried ab, I was already half in the bag and it was more about the ritual of making it than drinking it. Some time, I would like to start off ab instead of wine or Champagne.