Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
AmsterDan
Ischn't dat Wiert?!

Trading: (0)
AmsterDan is on a distinguished road
Default Thomas Hinds (Nicaragua) - Short Churchill, Maduro

Brand: Thomas Hinds
Size: Short Churchill 6 x 50 Maduro
Origin: Nicaragua (Puro)

The Look, Touch and Smell
Thomas Hinds, the man himself coming from Toronto, Canada, produces these hand rolled cigars with Honduran and Nicaraguan filler. This cigar is filled with Nicaraguan Jalapa tobacco and looks good. The Ecuador wrapper is somewhat oily and has a beautiful maduro colour. A couple of veins are visible, some are small and a couple are bigger but nothing troublesome. I found a couple of soft spots which shouldn’t cause any problems later on. The smell is delicious and derived from sweet hay, chocolate and generally refreshing tones.

Cut & Light
Thomas is easily lit after which light tones present themselves in a light body; dry cedar wood and some leather. It is a well-balanced and mature taste accompanied by light florals. The finish is coffee like and it is smooth. After all these beautiful characteristics there is a point that I cannot avoid, it’s the smoke being fairly sharp. (Smoke coming of the cigar when left alone for a while).

Personally I love the flavours named earlier and the combination of those together. So there was nothing wrong. In the second part I really start to enjoy this cigar. The flavours start to develop and there is a toasted nuttiness which is rough and yet fairly soft. There is lots of creamy smoke as well. The body becomes medium at the halfway point with flavours sitting at a range of medium to full and are balanced perfectly. Altogether they resemble something like spices. Very nice.

Nearing the end, the cigar seems to ease down but holds up the complexity and is still creamy. This makes for a great finish after these earthy tones and spices that have satisfied me for about 110 minutes.

Conclusion
Nice cigar with a couple of wonky burns, self-correcting though. Throughout the entire cigar I haven’t had any peppers (which I didn’t mind) and truly enjoyed the cedar wood, leather, toasty nuts, something spice like and floral flavours. It is a slow burning cigar that produces a light grey ash. It’s rough and doesn’t stay put very well, maybe an inch or so. I would certainly smoke this cigar again, only if I had the time available. $12.00 CAD is somewhat costly knowing that I can get a cigar, much like this Thomas Hinds, for a lower price point.

Normally I post my reviews on Sigarenliefhebber, Don Fernando’s Dutch cigar forum. I thought to share these with my fellow neighbours as well. (Canadian alert). He made me aware of Cigar Asylum where I will frequent a bit more from now on. Don, thanks … I’m happy to see you here as well. Seen your contribution to this forum which is great.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Ash: 6 / 10
Flavour 1st part: 7 / 10
Flavour 2nd part: 8.5 / 10
Flavour 3rd part: 8 / 10

Mark: 73 % Enjoyability!