Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
apNgb

Default Cigar Review: Viaje Holiday Blend

Viaje Holiday Blend
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Crillio
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Made In: Nicaragua
Size: 5×54 – Robusto Larga
Price: $10 per single stick from Titletown Tobacco

A new thing for Viaje in 2009, the Viaje Holiday Blend is a special cigar that is extremely limited in release. Only 100 boxes of 30 were made so this cigar will go quick.

Appearance & Construction: The Viaje Holiday Blend is a rustic looking cigar with a dark brown wrapper with a reddish tint. Upon further inspection I notice there is a is a covered foot, which I have become a huge fan of because the first draw of the cigar is nothing but wrapper leaf. Construction looks okay there are some minor blemishes in the wrapper but overall it looks good.

Smoking Characteristics: The cigar has a perfect draw on it that produces thick clouds of billowing smoke. The burn line is fairly uneven but the cigar is pretty fresh yet, so an uneven burn was to be expected. The ash is your standard gray color with some black spots on it. The ash did hold its own and was pretty solid. The body of this cigar starts out ubber full but backs down to the medium to full category. The strength of the cigar is full although it shouldn’t knock you on your ass.

Flavors: Wow! The Viaje Holiday Blend starts off with a serious bang. Some heat up front that leaves your lips and palate tingling. However, it’s not a black pepper rush rather a crisp dry heat like cayenne pepper. Once things settle down, the cigar opens up to a nice cedary earthy core with notes of coffee and leather. As the cigar progresses into the second third I notice some meaty flavor almost like beef jerkey. The final third was much of the same but with more finesse.

Final Thoughts: All I can say is WOW! This cigar did not disappoint one bit. Nice bold, rich Nicaraguan flavors and the cigar changed very nicely between the thirds. Viaje is quickly becoming one of my go to brands and this cigar is just another reason why. The Viaje Holiday Blend also has tremendous aging potential that could make this a cigar you could enjoy for many Christmas or “Holiday” seasons to come. This is also a cigar that could get you through the Holiday season with in-laws.

Worth a Shot: Yes, get them if you can
Buy Again: Already searching for a box
Enjoyablity: High
Rating: Excellent
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cigar Review: Viaje Holiday Blend

Thanks for the review! I'm always looking for something new to try.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Sweet! I was given a few of the prototypes a while back from Andre to do a review but never got around to it! Glad to see that someone did a review on an awesome smoke.

If you guys get a chance, smoke this thing! Excellent cigar.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Huy...sounds like a stick I would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Wow great review! I was just sent one and was curious about it... now I have somethin to look forward to!

aj
Old 12-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thanks for the great review!!!

Huy gifted me one of these a few weeks back!!! Looks like I'll have to give it a go!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Cigary

Right off the top of my head I know Havana Cigars has the box of 30 for $234. This is a very good cigar.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Well done! Looking forward to trying on these bad boys...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Ordered a fiver of these from newhavana...and some My Father Le Bijou..... and some of their house cigars to try......

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Thanks for the great review!!!

Huy gifted me one of these a few weeks back!!! Looks like I'll have to give it a go!!!
I had this one last night!!!

Your review is right on the mark!!!

Thanks for the cigar Huy!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Nice review Adam...sounds like a stick I would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing.
Fixed that for ya.

Hey Adam you wouldn't of happened to save one for me, would ya??
Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
kockroach

Great review! I ordered a 5-pack of these online yesterday (could have done a box...the place has em). Can't wait for them to get here!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
SkinsFanLarry

Adam, excellant review and pic's my brother!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Just lit one of these babies up. Great smoke! Here's the review:

I was given this by a very generous BOTL, and decided to light it up tonight as I was feeling pretty 'Christmassy!' If you haven't heard about this yet, the Holiday Blend is a very limited release for the holiday season (only 100 boxes of 30). Not sure if this will be a yearly smoke, but I certainly hope so. This stick has a beautiful leathery wrapper and a slightly oval shape which was interesting. The wrapped foot was pretty awesome too!

It started off with a great draw, on the lighter side, and billows of smoke. The initial flavors provided a blast of cedar and wood for a strong, full bodied smoke. Spice and toastiness brought up the rear and rounded the flavor out. Construction for this smoke was impeccable, and the ash was tight with nice layers on it. I was impressed by pretty much everything about this cigar, from construction, to draw, to ash, and flavor. The second half did get a bit of an ashy, but i really enjoyed this down to the nub. No doubt a full flavored, 'meaty' smoke. The ash only dropped twice throughout the entire stick too which was awesome! I would have to rate this stick a 90, which could have been higher if the flavors hadn't gotten a bit ashy.

I'm disappointed that these were not more readily available, as I would love to have gotten some more. Definitely going on my wish list!

***Pics on my blog

aj