Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough
Default Don Fernando Corona

Ok this is my very first review so I hope it goes well

This is a Nicaraguan Puro rolled about a month ago.

this is supposed to be a pretty full bobied cigar. I have not smoked alot of things so I cant compare it to much. Its a little stronger than the Reserva MiraFlor. Not as strong as the Joya de Nicaragua I dont think, that one really kicked my ass but I had not eaten anything all day.

The prelight: I smoked this outside and on a gorgeous day. I could see shiny spots all over the habano wrapper. The foot smells a little compostish but not to much. I dont get much taste off the cap.

on the light It reminded me ALOT of the Reserva Miraflor with a little less black pepper. About a quarter inch in it started getting really spicy like the goviado but still had the black pepper... Both of these flavors stayed til about half way. Which is also where are started to really get a buzz. I stood up to get a drink and i felt a bit dizzy. I went and got some Pink Lemonade. The burn stayed even pretty much even all the way down.. and i mean very even...

The first ash was at 2.25 inches and i didnt snap a picture before hand... but i showed it to s0leful0ne over skype cam. This foto was a little before second ash.

after the half way point the pepper and the spice were pretty much gone and didnt come back. I turned into a very rich creamy taste with a bit of a sweetness that i cant quite attribute to anything off the top of my head. this stayed pretty much through the rest of the cigar.

I got to a point where fingers were to shaky to grip it and I kept dropping it. I have never really "nubbed" a cigar before this one but I hope this one counts. Its as far as I could get it with my fingers

I cant wait to hear what others think of it being me and another friend of mine have been the only ones to smoke it so far.
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
DougBushBC

Default Re: Don Fernando Corona

I cant wait to smoke the first belicoso out of my box!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You're new to smoking, so here's an awesome tip that I learned the hard way.
A nic puro that was rolled a month ago...
Don't smoke it. It'll suck every time. 8 months out of cello, minimum, before they are even close to being fit to smoke.
They're full of ammonia from wetting during the rolling process. Ya gotta let them breathe to release the ammonia. Otherwise they burn your nose and taste like cowsh1t.
Revisit that cigar in 8 months and it'll probably be awesome, cause nic puros are friggin awesome.
And when the reviews come in lousy cause guys are smoking cigars that were rolled a month ago, don't be disheartened. They're liable to be excellent 8 months or a year down the road once the ammonia is gone.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

i thought it was great... not a bit of ammonia and believe me, i know what ammonia feels like in the nose... litterally... When i was about 15 my sisters friend was over and pissed the bed and shoved the bedding in a bag and didnt tell anyone. Me thinking the cat pee'd somewhere i was trying to sniff it out. I opened a black garbage back and took a wiff!!! I instantly puked no joke.... I had the ammonia from it stuck in my sinuses for like a week afterward.... I smelled piss every second I was awake. That sucked hardcore.

This was not a bad review at all, I guess I need practice writing them up. It was really good, spicey, and smooth after that. My friend really enjoyed it too. I actually did have a few other people try it at a cigar bar i was at and they came back to me later and said it was the best cigar of the night. but i bet you are right in 8 months... this thing would be just flat out amazing instead of pretty good. There are several other forum members that are going to be trying it soon, including DougBushSC up there heheh.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMadera View Post
i thought it was great... not a bit of ammonia and believe me, i know what ammonia feels like in the nose... litterally... When i was about 15 my sisters friend was over and pissed the bed and shoved the bedding in a bag and didnt tell anyone. Me thinking the cat pee'd somewhere i was trying to sniff it out. I opened a black garbage back and took a wiff!!! I instantly puked no joke.... I had the ammonia from it stuck in my sinuses for like a week afterward.... I smelled piss every second I was awake. That sucked hardcore.

This was not a bad review at all, I guess I need practice writing them up. It was really good, spicey, and smooth after that. My friend really enjoyed it too. I actually did have a few other people try it at a cigar bar i was at and they came back to me later and said it was the best cigar of the night. but i bet you are right in 8 months... this thing would be just flat out amazing instead of pretty good. There are several other forum members that are going to be trying it soon, including DougBushSC up there heheh.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they say.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
bigboycigarman

Andy,

I will light one up tomorrow, and let you know...

CJ
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
bigboycigarman

Pretty Decent review, I am sure that in 8 months it will be a different smoke, not to say it is not great now...
Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

Trinidad

12 CA members who atended the Blue Smoke event in florida smoked the Casa Pineda rolled the same time the Don Fernandos were and they all really enjoyed them.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

I'm looking forward to getting my Don Fernado coronas, Andy!

Thanks for the review!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

My Don Fernando robustos will be here any day...very excited!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMadera View Post
12 CA members who atended the Blue Smoke event in florida smoked the Casa Pineda rolled the same time the Don Fernandos were and they all really enjoyed them.
I can't wait to try them.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
You're new to smoking, so here's an awesome tip that I learned the hard way.
A nic puro that was rolled a month ago...
Don't smoke it. It'll suck every time. 8 months out of cello, minimum, before they are even close to being fit to smoke.
They're full of ammonia from wetting during the rolling process. Ya gotta let them breathe to release the ammonia. Otherwise they burn your nose and taste like cowsh1t.
I disagree with you Scott. These cigars have my (nick)name on them so they are good, period

seriously, I had more then one Nicaraguan puro less then a month old (for example some Reserva Miraflors and the Warped little Havana) and they all smoked great. Cigars are good fresh, it takes some time before the sick period kicks in.