Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default We have liftoff, Apollo 11 is on her way!

45 years ago today 3 of the bravest sons of *****es to ever take a breath suited up and began their journey to the moon, to have the first human walk on another solar body.

NASA has had a special Twitter feed today recounting the pre-liftoff and liftoff action as if social media had existed then as it does today. Having grown up in Satellite Beach, yes named for the area and that most residents worked at PAFB or the Cape, our space program has always been one of my biggest interests and to me one of the highlights in American history.

It's well work going to the start of the feed and reading the tweets and viewing all of great pictures of the crew at breakfast, through suiting up, pre-flight checks and of course lift off.

I was only 2 when at the time of liftoff but I remember my mom telling me that the ground shook so hard, even some 40 miles from the tower, that many people had windows crack in their houses, the Saturn Vs were like earthquakes up and down the coast as they pushed out 7,500,000 million pounds of thrust.

Here is a link, you need to scroll a bit to find the start of the posts, but if you have any interest in this at all, it is worth it.

https://twitter.com/NASAGoddard/list...itter-accounts

AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We have liftoff, Apollo 11 is on her way!

Thanks for sharing this!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: We have liftoff, Apollo 11 is on her way!

Very cool.

I was born in 1969. I lived near the Cape from '79 to '89 so the Space Program was a big part of growing up for me as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I remember watching Armstrong step onto the moon on a TV set display at Sears Roebuck, as my Mom apparently thought it was important for my Dad and I to accompany her shopping that day.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I remember watching Armstrong step onto the moon on a TV set display at Sears Roebuck, as my Mom apparently thought it was important for my Dad and I to accompany her shopping that day.
My mom told me they were watching from home and my elderly grandma was staying with us then, she refused to believe a man was walking on the moon, she kept asking what was on the tv and they were telling her who he was and what she was doing and she just it wasn't possible and to "put something else on". I guess that was what a lot of people in that generation thought. Well time to go watch Capricorn One
Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I watched a youtube documentary that tries to show all the reasons that the movie "The Shining" was actually Kubrick's attempt to expose the "lie" that was the moon landing.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
AdamJoshua

Hmm I'd rather watch the "1,000,000 firecrackers being lit at once!" videos.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

It is truly amazing how fast technology in that field expanded. The astronauts had huge brass ones, but the scientists and others behind the scenes who created the technology and made it work is another matter. In less than one lifetime we as a species went from a rickety airplane flying a few hundred yards at Kitty Hawk to men landing on the moon, and coming back alive.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
AdamJoshua

half a century

the most amazing thing is they did it with protractors and sliderules ...
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Hmm I'd rather watch the "1,000,000 firecrackers being lit at once!" videos.
Understood, but "The Shining" is my all time favorite movie, and I was just looking for some insight. Instead I got a few tidbits mixed with a crapload of lunacy.