Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #2021
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: NHL '08- '09 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post

I love the old guys!
Us "old guy's" rock!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #2022
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: NHL '08- '09 Thread

Hooray for Lucky!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #2023
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Chelios said at his press conference today he would prefer to play in the Eastern Conference, easier travel being the reason. Anyone have any thoughts on a who might pick him up?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #2024
GHC_Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Chelios said at his press conference today he would prefer to play in the Eastern Conference, easier travel being the reason. Anyone have any thoughts on a who might pick him up?
Islanders lol. He could probably make the 1st line as a forward

Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #2025
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

It would be beautiful to see him back in a Hawks jersey one last time. I never got used to seeing him in the evil empires jersey.

He and Roenick both back on the hawks for one last season. I would be a child all over again watching my childhood heros.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #2026
BUCASmoker
Where the sun never sets

First Name: Vadim
Trading: (9)
BUCASmoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have been in awe at the beginning of every season that he has come back. He is so old, and yet can still compete with the rest of the league.

If I didn't hate the wings as much as I did (I am an Avalanche fan), I would really like the guy.

Also... I am going through withdrawal. Is it october yet?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #2027
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
He would make a great Bruin for the right money.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #2028
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

He will be a bargain (league minimum) for some team, and has a lot to pass along to a young defensive corp. I would think he would fit in well for a season with the Hawks...I just hope Scottie Bowman agrees.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 AM   #2029
GHC_Hambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
He and Roenick both back on the hawks for one last season. I would be a child all over again watching my childhood heros.
Now THAT would be amazing!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #2030
taltos
Really, really old

taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
He will be a bargain (league minimum) for some team, and has a lot to pass along to a young defensive corp. I would think he would fit in well for a season with the Hawks...I just hope Scottie Bowman agrees.
He would look much better in black and gold.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #2031
ahc4353

Rangers will take him. They have a track record of taking the big name old guys for the last year or two of their careers.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #2032
taltos
Really, really old

Quote:
Rangers will take him. They have a track record of taking the big name old guys for the last year or two of their careers.
Worked out well for them with Mark Messier after most of the NHL had written him off. This would not surprise me but I can hope.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #2033
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
He would look much better in black and gold.
It would be too funny, Paul. All those years with the Hawks to end up with the Wings, then all the years with Montreal, to end up with Boston.

Quote:
The Hawks don't? Doug Gilmour, Bernie Nicholls, Theo Fleury, Paul Coffey, Bobby Orr, etc!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #2034
Waynegro1

Quote:
I think he should go to a young team that could use his experience and veteran leadership. Such as the Philadelphia, Buffalo or the Islanders. They all have fairly young teams.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #2035
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I think the Islanders may be one of the teams that gives him a long look, Wayne.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #2036
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegro1 View Post
I think he should go to a young team that could use his experience and veteran leadership. Such as the Philadelphia, Buffalo or the Islanders. They all have fairly young teams.
The flyers just traded for Pronger so I doubt they'd be looking at Chelios.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #2037
ahc4353

A quick story.

We moved to Jersey just over nine years ago. One of the kids that played within the organization that my sons played in was truly enjoyable to watch. Great skating defensemen, good hands etc.. Over time we became friends and like I said I loved to watch him play. Would go to the rink to watch his games when I could. Anyway, one day about five years ago I saw him outside and he stopped to shoot the chit. I said to him, "I want you sign one of your old broken sticks and bring it to me cuz one day your going to be a professional hockey player and I want your first ever autograph". He just smiled, said thanks Mr. Clark and went on his way.

Fast forward to this years NHL draft.

In the fifth round the Kings selected defenseman David Kolomatis (5-11, 189 pounds) as the 126th overall selection. The 20-year-old native of Livingston, N.J. recorded 46 points (18-28=46) and 52 penalty minutes in 63 regular season games for the OHL’s Owen Sound Attack in 2008-09. His 46 points led Owen Sound defensemen and ranked 12th among OHL blue-liners. In four playoff games for Owen Sound he recorded four points (2-2=4) and zero penalty minutes. After Owen Sound was eliminated from the playoffs Kolomatis joined the AHL’s Providence Bruins. He posted zero points and zero penalty minutes in four regular season games and one point (0-1=1) and two penalty minutes in 16 playoff games with Providence. Kolomatis also played with Owen Sound in 2006-07 and 2007-08, recording 20 points (4-16=20) and 45 points (9-36=45) respectively. His 45 points in 2007-08 led Owen Sound defensemen and was 16th in the league among blue-liners. Internationally, Kolomatis represented Team USA on the 2005-06 Under-18 National Team.

I have a PM out to him reminding Dave I still want my stick.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #2038
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Very cool. Now ask my son for his autograph so he can get drafted.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #2039
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Very cool. Now ask my son for his autograph so he can get drafted.

I will.

I'm not the bragging dad kind however, truth be told, I feel Mitch would have a shot if I could get the right guy to look at him. Getting that "look" is not easy with the amount of guys in the hunt.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #2040
taltos
Really, really old

Quote:
I will.

I'm not the bragging dad kind however, truth be told, I feel Mitch would have a shot if I could get the right guy to look at him. Getting that "look" is not easy with the amount of guys in the hunt.
You have the contact if this young man who was drafted puts up a good show in his first season. He could put in a good word for Mitch and at least get a scout to watch tape of him. Another choice would be for him to try out for Juniors but you know all this I suspect. Hope it works out ok.