Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Anyone have any good canning recipes? Spicy pickles etc?

Title says it all. Just wondering if anyone has any good recipes.

I'd like to try my hand at canning some.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have any good canning recipes? Spicy pickles etc?

You can't go wrong with a Ball Canning book. It's like the canner's Bible.
Once you know how to can stuff up, it's super easy to can anything and make it just like you like.
Pickles are just cucumbers, salt, garlic, fresh dill and whatever peppers you like for spice. You mess around until they are just the way you like them.

These are my red sauce peppers. You eat them on crackers with cream cheese. If you want to get fancy, you get soft tortillas, mix chopped jalapenos with the cream cheese, smear it on the tortilla, then roll it up and cut slices off the roll. Then you dump a spoonful of peppers on your little rolly thing and it's straight to heaven with ya.

Red Sauce Peppers
32oz. ketchup
6oz. tomato paste
2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 c. oil
3 c. sugar
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt
Bring juice to a boil, put in peppers, bring to boil again, put in hot jars.
Do NOT cook peppers down. They'll turn into skins.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Jordan, they have real good pickle brine mix at Wally. I think it's Mrs. Fields or Ball. The instructions are right on the bag, it's idiot proof. Real good pickles, too. You can add garlic and hot peppers or sweet peppers to kick it up a notch. Super easy.
The most important thing is to make sure the rim of the jar is clean and everything is good and hot when you put your lid on.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Oh, Jordan, they have real good pickle brine mix at Wally. I think it's Mrs. Fields or Ball. The instructions are right on the bag, it's idiot proof. Real good pickles, too. You can add garlic and hot peppers or sweet peppers to kick it up a notch. Super easy.
The most important thing is to make sure the rim of the jar is clean and everything is good and hot when you put your lid on.
Awesome! Thank you Scott. I'll check out that book as well.

Oh, how many peppers do you use in that recipe above? I think thats the only ingredient not listed.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Awesome! Thank you Scott. I'll check out that book as well.

Oh, how many peppers do you use in that recipe above? I think thats the only ingredient not listed.
At least two five gallon buckets cut into rings. Make sure you get all the seeds out. Too many seeds will make stuff go bitter. I use Sweet Banana Peppers because I don't like the finish of Hungarian Wax. You can use whatever you like.
If you don't like your hungarian wax real hot, all you have to do is make sure they get lots of water over the season. With peppers, the drier it is the hotter they get. I plant mine in the wettest place I can and never let their feet get dry. If you want them hot, the plants should wilt in the heat every day. They'll blow your freakin head off.
If you don't want them real hot, you should water if you ever see them wilted in the heat of the day. (Water at the roots in the evening, not on the plants in the heat.)