Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Bruschetta, hold the toast...

... 'cuz I'm using fried salami.

Yeah. So simple it's criminal.

This idea hit me the other day when I had to make some appetizers and was trying to be paleo friendly for one of the people who would be eating it.

Ended up working out so well that I might never go back to serving bruschetta on toast again.

Get a big bag of sliced salami, I happened to have a bag of Aidell's uncured sun dried tomato and garlic salami handy so I used it, but really, any brand that you like which isn't too fatty will probably work fine. You could even use large diameter thin-sliced pepperoni if you wanted.

Make up some bruschetta styled topping. Do it how ever you like it. I went with halved cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, chopped flat-leaf parsley, chopped mushrooms, seeded & diced jalapenos, avocado chunks (to add some creaminess to counteract the bite of the salami), oregano, thyme, salt, fresh-cracked pepper, extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and citric acid. Feel free to use things like cored and seeded diced roma tomatoes, beans, basil, sliced pepperoncini peppers, fire roasted fresh corn, whatever you like in this pretty much works.

Preheat the oven to 325. Take a quarter sheet pan (cookie sheet) and cover in foil or baking parchment. Lay out the slices of salami or pepperoni in a single layer. Use two sheets if you need too (you will). Put the trays in the oven and set a timer for 6 minutes. After 6 minutes, rotate the trays 180 degrees and from that point on you need to keep an eye on them, they are going to cook quickly. Probably 9-12 minutes total cooking time. The edges of the salami/pepperoni will burn a bit, the centers will stay a bit soft and chewey, they'll curl up a bit like a bowl, this is all excellent. Crumbly around the edges is good. Crumbly the whole way across is bad.

As soon as they are done, remove from trays and drain & pat down with paper towels to remove the excess grease. Let the salami/pepperoni cool for a few minutes, this will allow it time to crisp up slightly. Lay out the cooked salami rounds on a serving tray, dished side up (like a little bowl) and put a spoonfull of the bruschetta type topping on each.

Serve and watch them vanish when you tell people "yeah, it's fried salami (pepperoni)".

Sorry for the crappy pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salami_bruschetta_photo0369.jpg (96.1 KB, 364 views)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bruschetta, hold the toast...

I tried this, but every time I turn the trays 180 degrees, all the stuff falls off and ends up at the bottom of
the stove. Am I doing something wrong? Does gravity affect Italian food?

Sorry, that's NOT what happened. Thinking about this for the weekend.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I tried this, but every time I turn the trays 180 degrees, all the stuff falls off and ends up at the bottom of
the stove. Am I doing something wrong? Does gravity affect Italian food?

Sorry, that's NOT what happened. Thinking about this for the weekend.

BWAHAHHAHAHAH!

Thanks Brad, I needed that.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I'm sure my wife will be trying this soon

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote