Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough
Question Cigar Places in Alexandria, VA / DC Area

The wife and I will be taking the train down to help my kid brother celebrate his 40th birthday. The vast majority of our time is already booked, but I thought I'd put it to the Asylum: Are there any must-see cigar shops or lounges in the area? I'll travel with plenty of my own smokes, of course. But I like to check out a nice shop when I can, if I can make the time. TIA
Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
68TriShield
Got Torque?

Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigar Places in Alexandria, VA / DC Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
The wife and I will be taking the train down to help my kid brother celebrate his 40th birthday. The vast majority of our time is already booked, but I thought I'd put it to the Asylum: Are there any must-see cigar shops or lounges in the area? I'll travel with plenty of my own smokes, of course. But I like to check out a nice shop when I can, if I can make the time. TIA
Leesburg Cigar&Pipe is a pretty nice shop.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #3
dave
Have My Own Room

Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Can't think of any 'must-see' shops anywhere. But, if you're downtown near the White House, Drapers is worth a look. Nice selection, good staff and one of the higher profile shops in the region. If your brother and wife don't mind the atmosphere, Shelleys (around the corner from Drapers) has decent food and you can smoke your own there. Plenty of other decent shops around. Depends mostly on where you are and whether you want to travel to one of them. Navigating around here is often bad enough to dissuade you from traveling just a few miles for something.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

^^ what he said. If I'm smoking in the city I usually bring my own and walk around the national mall and the monuments down there, cool views and lots to look at, and I've never had anybody b**** about it
Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Can't think of any 'must-see' shops anywhere. But, if you're downtown near the White House, Drapers is worth a look. Nice selection, good staff and one of the higher profile shops in the region. If your brother and wife don't mind the atmosphere, Shelleys (around the corner from Drapers) has decent food and you can smoke your own there. Plenty of other decent shops around. Depends mostly on where you are and whether you want to travel to one of them. Navigating around here is often bad enough to dissuade you from traveling just a few miles for something.
Thanks for the tips, Dave. I suppose you're right. There are no actual 'must-see' places. But there are some worth checking out, right? If someone asked me the same about NYC, I'd recommend Carnegie Club in Manhattan. They've got an eleven-piece orchestra backing up a guy named Steven Maglio who does Frank Sinatra covers. You can't get that anywhere else, so I'd call that one a must-see. I'd found Shelly's Back Room online. Looks nice. Do they charge a fee if you bring in your own smokes? Carnegie Club charges $10. No biggie. Just wondering.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
Thanks for the tips, Dave. I suppose you're right. There are no actual 'must-see' places. But there are some worth checking out, right? If someone asked me the same about NYC, I'd recommend Carnegie Club in Manhattan. They've got an eleven-piece orchestra backing up a guy named Steven Maglio who does Frank Sinatra covers. You can't get that anywhere else, so I'd call that one a must-see. I'd found Shelly's Back Room online. Looks nice. Do they charge a fee if you bring in your own smokes? Carnegie Club charges $10. No biggie. Just wondering.
Shelly's does not charge you if you bring in your own cigars. They do have some rules about tables and will not let two people sit at a table for four. When it gets crowded, you can wait quite awhile for a seat. Civil Cigar Lounge is another option.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
dave
Have My Own Room

Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

CC, Sorry if that came across as smart-assy. I only meant that there's nothing here to regret having missed. Good add, Tom. Civil is awfully nice, too. No cutting fee at either. Shelley's has a few Altadis at ridiculous prices. They'll get theirs from you in food and drink bill. Food not too high - cocktails can get pricey....like anywhere else downtown.
Civil has a shop in the front (stocked by Drapers, I believe) that isn't bad. Let us know where you're staying or going to be and we can all provide some more localized suggestions.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. This should probably cover it.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

Shellys is pretty cool to visit. Good atmoshere.
Steelerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote