Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy My Poor Truck . . .

Currently the Truckinator is down and out. Replaced the water pump so far with the Bullet Proof Diesel upgraded one. Now onto replacing the blown EGR Cooler with a Bullet Proof Diesel one - and replacing the Oil Cooler. In addition to replacing a hand full of various other parts while I have it apart. The turbo will get replaced with a Stage One turbo which will better handle the extra HP the Quadzilla chip is pushing out.

Tomorrow will work on getting the intake manifold and injector harness and junk out of the way so I can get to the EGR cooler. Fun stuff huh.

So - down and out at the moment but should be back better and stronger in a few weeks.

Before starting:

Current view:

What I'm trying to get to:

All Of The Pictures

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: My Poor Truck . . .

Looks like you have your hands full. Good luck brother!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

That doesn't look fun at all. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch!!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Dr Voss

Have fun with that. I hope it works like it's supposed to.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Sadness is a sick truck
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Sadness is a sick truck
no,sadness is getting up under the hood to get to all that
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

I know your pain. On my way back from my inlaws, the front differential and/or the Transfer case on my truck let go. Fortunately, I run a shop so I have the equipement to fix it. good luck on your repair. if you need some info, shoot me a pm
Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Touché'
Old 11-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Theres an engine under all that crap??? Makes me glad I have the 5.9 in mine.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Good Luck Brother...I feel for ya
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Yeah, I don't think my back can handle hours under the hood anymore.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Man, I know that cannot be good, but I look at that and see/hear metal and moving parts.... It makes sense to someone, just not me....

Best of luck getting her back on the road.....

It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
BC-Axeman

How hard is it to pull the turbo? EGR on a diesel is stupid. The amount of problems it causes is not worth the small amount of emissions reduction. It really complicates the intake system and engine computer programming. EGR coolers will always be a regular maintenance item. I had a shop clean mine last time but I will replace it next time it gets clogged.
Show more pictures, please.
Beware, too much power puts a strain on the head gaskets. Ford already took the Navistar design and pushed it to the safe limits. Some would say they pushed it too far.

Last edited by BC-Axeman; 11-27-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
How hard is it to pull the turbo?
The actual art of removing the turbo isn't hard at all. It's only held in by three 10mm bolts. Or in the case of my truck - two bolts as one backed itself out and I found it in the valley. The hard part is removing everything just to get to the turbo. Most shops though will simply lift the whole cab off the truck.

Quote:
EGR on a diesel is stupid. . . . I had a shop clean mine last time but I will replace it next time it gets clogged.
Agreed - EGRs on a diesel is and always will be a stupid idea. Mine was replaced twice under warranty and I cleaned it once. I will be installing a brand new one this time around.

Quote:
Show more pictures, please.
See below -

Quote:
Beware, too much power puts a strain on the head gaskets. Ford already took the Navistar design and pushed it to the safe limits. Some would say they pushed it too far.
Currently I am hoping the head gaskets are okay. It overheated big time when the water pump went out. I have none of the classic signs of a blown gasket so fingers crossed.

As for the extra power - she has 160,000 miles at the moment and has had the power since mile 28.

To see all the pictures I have taken - click the link. I'm taking these pictures to help remind me of what goes where when I put her back together.

LINK TO ALL THE PICTURES HERE

And this is what she looked like at the end of today. And oh - for those who don't know, this is a 2004 F350 6.0L King Ranch FX4

Ron

Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Looks like your dinner place settings are well done, Ron.
Indeed, there is nothing like being elbows deep, and bloody knuckled to appreciate how packed in all these components are in a modern engine.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #17
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Looks like your dinner place settings are well done, Ron.
Uh-huh - you know damn good and well that if I don't put the napkins out I'll end up dropping something down the intakes or HPOP. Just my luck -

Ron
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
BC-Axeman

I love that Bullet Proof website. I think I'll get one of their EGR coolers next time.
The overhead creeper for working on tall vehicles they sell is a great idea. A bit pricey, though.
On the oil cooler:
Air is much worse than water for carrying heat away. They seem to make up for it by making it much larger. I would prefer a combined solution, the way transmissions are cooled. Run the oil line through the radiator first, then through a smaller air cooled cooler. There's already four radiators in the front of these trucks. A/C, engine coolant, turbo intercooler, and transmission oil cooler.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I love that Bullet Proof website. I think I'll get one of their EGR coolers next time.
The overhead creeper for working on tall vehicles they sell is a great idea. A bit pricey, though.
Yeah - the EGR cooler is an excellent design. I don't see it busting anytime soon. Overall it's a great site - but like any site you have to watch things. I decided yesterday to replace the IPR screen and seals. Dealer wants $60 - they have it for $53. But when I added it to the cart the cheapest shipping was for like $23. We are talking about a screen slightly larger than a quarter and two o-rings. Found the Ford kit on Ebay for $36 with shipping included. Should be here Thursday.

Quote:
On the oil cooler:
Air is much worse than water for carrying heat away. They seem to make up for it by making it much larger. I would prefer a combined solution, the way transmissions are cooled. Run the oil line through the radiator first, then through a smaller air cooled cooler. There's already four radiators in the front of these trucks. A/C, engine coolant, turbo intercooler, and transmission oil cooler.
I went with the EGR Cooler Kit that includes all the gaskets and stock oil cooler rebuild. The money they wanted for their aftermarket kit was well over my budget plus as you say it's air cooled. I'd like to see them come up with an oil cooler that fits the stock area but built like their EGR cooler. That would solve a boat load of problems.

No work on the truck until Friday at the earliest - I don't have a garage unfortunately -
Might get to the oil cooler rebuild Wednesday evening.

Ron
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
RGD.
God Like Status

Somewhat productive weekend. Starting to put her back together now. Took Friday and Saturday though to get the intake manifold cleaned out of the soot and carbon build up. 5 cans of engine degrease and a pressure washer finally got it.

Anyway - here are some pictures. All of the picture to date: Click Here

Ron