Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just got an Otterbox for the iPad...

So far, so good. I had one for my 3GS iPhone, now my iPhone 4. It looks great, I'm just waiting to see how I like it. This is my test run.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just got an Otterbox for the iPad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
So far, so good. I had one for my 3GS iPhone, now my iPhone 4. It looks great, I'm just waiting to see how I like it. This is my test run.
Almost Everyone I Know Uses Otterbox For Their i-Phone, Scott; Should Work Great With The iPad, Too!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Posting from my otterboxed iPhone right now. I'm sure it's one of the best cases for the ipad as well.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I got the Defender on my Droid X and while it makes the function buttons a little more difficult to operate it performed an amazing save on Day 2 of use. Reached for the phone on my belt and knocked it off to then hear a crash as it hit the concrete floor in Home Depot. Oh $xxt was the first expression but "amazing" was next as I picked up the phone and it was undamaged.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I've used the Defender for the iPhone (too bulky), and switched to the Commuter for my 3GS, then for the 4. I've seen the Otterbox for the iPad and personally, I think it is too bulky. A friend had a difficult time slipping her iPad into the case, then gave up after a few weeks. If you toss it around, etc, it is worth it, but I'll stay with the Apple iPad case for now.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Been using one for the I-pad since Christmas. I don't think it is designed as well as the one for the phone. Biggest drawbacks are the screen protector, just a clear film and not actually connected to the case, the large clip that has to be removed to charge, and the added weight. That said it is a very solid case and it does its job especially with a two year old running around!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarnut View Post
ditto
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

I've always loved my Otterbox! However, after visiting MacWorld...

www.iballz.info (very cool concept)
www.seidioonline.com (I have used them on my BB for years)
www.modulRcase.com (picked up this at MacWorld)
www.zagg.com (I love their screen protectors and tempted to buy the ZaggMate)
www.usplusu.com
www.mymophie.com
www.sleeve360.com
www.tabgrip.com
www.trexta.com
www.ektopad.com
www.gelaskins.com
www.handeholder.com
www.thehandstand.com
www.fastmac.com
www.keydex.com.tw
www.moshimonde.com
www.revenastyle.com

(I am not endorsing any of these products but just passing them on as a public service)
Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
ditto
Agreed...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Agreed...

captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Agreed...

Using the nostrils to control your iPad might annoy the cow...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I bought the gf the otter box case for the i4 and I know it has saved the phone a few times; she finally admitted to me that she has dropped it on occasion. I told her she couldn't use the phone till the case came in, glad I did.

But my friend who has an HTC, showed me a "ballistic case." We were at In n' Out burger and he basically tossed the phone at the wall from about 7' and it didn't do a thing to the phone. I wouldn't try that with my phone but that was pretty impressive. Now it does make the phone BULKY, but I think once the otter box's exterior skin falls apart, this may be her new case.

here is the website of the case if anyone is interested

http://www.goballisticcase.com/produ...hc-series-case

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
I've always loved my Otterbox! However, after visiting MacWorld...

www.iballz.info (very cool concept)
www.seidioonline.com (I have used them on my BB for years)
www.modulRcase.com (picked up this at MacWorld)
www.zagg.com (I love their screen protectors and tempted to buy the ZaggMate)
www.usplusu.com
www.mymophie.com
www.sleeve360.com
www.tabgrip.com
www.trexta.com
www.ektopad.com
www.gelaskins.com
www.handeholder.com
www.thehandstand.com
www.fastmac.com
www.keydex.com.tw
www.moshimonde.com
www.revenastyle.com

(I am not endorsing any of these products but just passing them on as a public service)
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
I bought the gf the otter box case for the i4 and I know it has saved the phone a few times; she finally admitted to me that she has dropped it on occasion. I told her she couldn't use the phone till the case came in, glad I did.

But my friend who has an HTC, showed me a "ballistic case." We were at In n' Out burger and he basically tossed the phone at the wall from about 7' and it didn't do a thing to the phone. I wouldn't try that with my phone but that was pretty impressive. Now it does make the phone BULKY, but I think once the otter box's exterior skin falls apart, this may be her new case.

here is the website of the case if anyone is interested

http://www.goballisticcase.com/produ...hc-series-case
That case is interesting, Greg.
I thought "looks like an otterbox ripoff" and "geez, it looks even bulkier than my otterbox". Lisa wandered by and I showed her. She said "it looks a bit mannish."
I showed her because we were just in the kitchen minutes ago and I told her she needs to look at otterbox colors cause I ordered her an iphone 4 last night.
She wants to look at some different cases aside from the otterbox, as well. Not because she doesn't love the otterbox, but she just wanted to see what's new out there. I don't think Ballistic will get the nod.
After seeing the $29.99 pricetag compared to the $49.95 pricetag of the Defender, I can see where Ballistic could carve out a good audience. It appears to be the same thing at about half the price.
I wouldn't go with Ballistic, just because of brand loyalty. The Otterbox has saved my phones countless times and kept them in pristine condition for resale. If I got a Ballistic and broke my phone, I'd feel like an idiot, ya know?
What I'll say now, after looking them over, is "Had I never met Otterbox, I'd certainly have one".
I wish I could check one out and compare it to Otterbox, side by side, to see if the extra 20 bucks Otterbox charges is warranted.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Been using my ob for the ipad for about 4 months now. Love it. Def worth the money. No complaints here.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
Been using my ob for the ipad for about 4 months now. Love it. Def worth the money. No complaints here.
If there's anything I noticed, it's the substantial weight it's added. I was used to the ipad cover I made from Walnut, and this thing is a lot heavier, if you can believe that. Not quite as functional, either.
I am totally happy with what I got for the money, it's totally badass. I'm just not sure if I like it better than my other case. Yet.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Personally, I really disliked the Otterbox iPad case. I thought it made the whole thing way too heavy (see Beagleone's post above--pretty sure he was talking about us). But I feel the same way about the iPhone--if I buy a slim and light device, I want it to stay slim and light.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
Personally, I really disliked the Otterbox iPad case. I thought it made the whole thing way too heavy (see Beagleone's post above--pretty sure he was talking about us). But I feel the same way about the iPhone--if I buy a slim and light device, I want it to stay slim and light.
I agree with the heavy on the ipad, and I can see the "slim and light" thing. I'm rough and my phone takes a beating, plus I insist on keeping all my stuff in pristine condition, so the iphone otterbox is a tradeoff for me.
I'd love to not have a case on it, but if it got one scratch on the face, it'd drive me nuts.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I should also add that Lisa and I tried four or five different slim cases and they were all junk. The Frogbox, or whatever it was called, was the best of all of them, but it was bulkyish, and it fell apart in a month's time.
The coolest we tried were Noel Eternity Series. They were shiny metallic with a mirror face cover. Simply awesome. But we had to take them off for the GPS to work. That was both maddening and senseless.
To date, the Defender is the lesser of the evils for us.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

My wife just got me an iPad for Valentines Day.
I bought the Apple case for now. I like it so far because it is slim, although I'm not sure how much protection it provides.
I was just taking a look at the Otterbox Commuter, but it doesn't seem to protect the front. I was afraid the Defender would be too bulky, and it sounds like it would be for me.
I don't have one for my iPhone bacause I don't like the bulkiness. I use an InCase Slider for my iPhone 4. Not too bulky and slips in/out of my pocket easily. Decent protection too.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote