Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone work in financials?

Just wondering if anyone out there works within the realms of finance? I work for an investment management company in boston.
jmsremax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone work in financials?

i work with massmutual in providence
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Held the NASD licenses for 7 years and now work in Corporate finance / debt management.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I've been a consultant at JH, IBT, Deutsche Bank, Putnam, and MFS.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Nice....I am an equity trader and I love it. But I'm starting to lean towards financial planning. I have my 7 and currently studying for the 66. Still on the fence about which designation is right for me.....CFA or CFP. I weighed the pros and cons of both....just don't know if I can get into equity research (very hard to get into at our firm if you aren't from Ivy league schools). At first my goal was to become a portfolio manager, but with my sales experience (real estate agent) I was thinking financial planning and it's a more realistic goal and no matter what I want to be managing money; being successful is a different story

Mosesbotbol,

I used to be an intern at IBT the summer they converted to State St....great place. I loved working in the JH tower.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
I used to be an intern at IBT the summer they converted to State St....great place. I loved working in the JH tower.
I had already left them to work for JH by then. I am in IT and have worked most in financial then gov't. JH tower is really great. The cafeteria will bleed you dry. Oftly dark in there too, but what girls! I tell my friends they have to meet in there for lunch one day.

I am consulting at BC currently.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I had already left them to work for JH by then. I am in IT and have worked most in financial then gov't. JH tower is really great. The cafeteria will bleed you dry. Oftly dark in there too, but what girls! I tell my friends they have to meet in there for lunch one day.

Ya the cafe wasn't that great and way too pricy. I used to bring my lunch down there just to see some of the ladies or just go have lunch on Newbury St in the summer. Luckily for me, my company has a cafe and the prices are cheap and food is good.

That is too funny you are at BC right now. From my place I can see the BC dorms (I live off Lake street).
Old 11-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

The Back Bay actually sucks to eat lunch in. Sure there are many nice places, but few places to get a lunch for $7.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Nice....I am an equity trader and I love it. But I'm starting to lean towards financial planning. I have my 7 and currently studying for the 66. Still on the fence about which designation is right for me.....CFA or CFP. I weighed the pros and cons of both....just don't know if I can get into equity research (very hard to get into at our firm if you aren't from Ivy league schools). At first my goal was to become a portfolio manager, but with my sales experience (real estate agent) I was thinking financial planning and it's a more realistic goal and no matter what I want to be managing money; being successful is a different story

Mosesbotbol,

The majority of my career I was in charge of managing and attaining institutional order flow for the ECN I was working with. I loved it.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

I have my 7 and 66 and my CRPC (Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor) designation. CFP will be next. CFP is more important if you are going for financial planning. I charge an annual fee for my advice every year to my clients, and I have managed money.
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Present.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Present.
Do you happen to work for RJ since you are in St Petes? Everyone I know in or around that area works for RJ.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

No. One of my good buddies trades munis over there though. Know anyone on that desk?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
No. One of my good buddies trades munis over there though. Know anyone on that desk?
Unfortunately no. I trade equities, but I bet someone on our muni team knows. RJ gives us a lot of business.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
DougBushBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post

No freaking way, what are you doing at BC?

<--- BC Alum.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #16
DougBushBC

Quote:
That is too funny you are at BC right now. From my place I can see the BC dorms (I live off Lake street).
Just tell me you are not one of those extremely terrible human beings that call them selves the Alton/Brighton Watch or wahtever. The people that spend all day whining about the fact that they have to live near an institution that was there when their grandparents were kids.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougBushBC View Post
No freaking way, what are you doing at BC?

<--- BC Alum.
Am in IT consultant, working consolidating their Windows images and streamlining how they update and deploy them. It's only around a 2 month contract, but it's walking distance from my house!

There's a slim chance it could go longer or that I could work here part time while I am on my next contract.

Such a beautiful campus. Wish I had gone to school here!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Just tell me you are not one of those extremely terrible human beings that call them selves the Allston/Brighton Watch or whatever. The people that spend all day whining about the fact that they have to live near an institution that was there when their grandparents were kids.

The whole thing is weird. People are complaining about the students, and when BC bought 2000 Comm to use as dorm, they complain more. I thought it was a great idea to keep them in one building. I do think that BC should cough up some tax money.

If the students didn't live in off-campus housing around the school, the rents and property value would go down in my opinion. The area is not like around Allston which is just student/party central. We need the student resident income for sure.

Outside of the taxes issue and perhaps the say in state house compared to the property tax the area contributes... Not sure what their issue is?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #19
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

Quote:
Just tell me you are not one of those extremely terrible human beings that call them selves the Alton/Brighton Watch or wahtever. The people that spend all day whining about the fact that they have to live near an institution that was there when their grandparents were kids.
Haha no. I lived in Brighton last year on Comm Ave and wanted to be in a house. I still have two friends that are there and a few friends that are alumni. I recently graduated from college so I enjoy knowing people around us still like to have fun. I actually read an article in the Globe last month about neighbors complaining of the noise levels at BC.....they live practically on BC's campus and they are complaining of college students.....
Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
I actually read an article in the Globe last month about neighbors complaining of the noise levels at BC.....they live practically on BC's campus and they are complaining of college students.....
I can hear when the Eagles score from my house and the stadium is 25 mintue walk. It's just like the people who moved into the Charlestown Navy Yard and have petitioned to have the US Constitution silence its cannon as they are too loud for the neighbors. Give me a freaking break...