Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got an Otterbox for the iPad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
My wife just got me an iPad for Valentines Day.
I bought the Apple case for now. I like it so far because it is slim, although I'm not sure how much protection it provides.
I was just taking a look at the Otterbox Commuter, but it doesn't seem to protect the front. I was afraid the Defender would be too bulky, and it sounds like it would be for me.
I don't have one for my iPhone bacause I don't like the bulkiness. I use an InCase Slider for my iPhone 4. Not too bulky and slips in/out of my pocket easily. Decent protection too.
Adrian, it definately turns the ipad into a beast. One other thing is that the Defender for the ipad just has a stick-on screen protector. The back pops off and snaps on the front for protection when it's not in use, traveling, etc.
If kids are involved, it's a great idea. If not, the slipcover is fine.
I had a slipcover (Apple) and I hated it. Mainly because it was cheap and the material (rubber?) picked up all kinds of dirt. It just got plain gross from the kids.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That case is interesting, Greg.
I thought "looks like an otterbox ripoff" and "geez, it looks even bulkier than my otterbox". Lisa wandered by and I showed her. She said "it looks a bit mannish."
I showed her because we were just in the kitchen minutes ago and I told her she needs to look at otterbox colors cause I ordered her an iphone 4 last night.
She wants to look at some different cases aside from the otterbox, as well. Not because she doesn't love the otterbox, but she just wanted to see what's new out there. I don't think Ballistic will get the nod.
After seeing the $29.99 pricetag compared to the $49.95 pricetag of the Defender, I can see where Ballistic could carve out a good audience. It appears to be the same thing at about half the price.
I wouldn't go with Ballistic, just because of brand loyalty. The Otterbox has saved my phones countless times and kept them in pristine condition for resale. If I got a Ballistic and broke my phone, I'd feel like an idiot, ya know?
What I'll say now, after looking them over, is "Had I never met Otterbox, I'd certainly have one".
I wish I could check one out and compare it to Otterbox, side by side, to see if the extra 20 bucks Otterbox charges is warranted.
I love my otterbox cigar and (her) phone case. Somehow she has managed to mangle the rubber sleeve for her phone and will probably be looking for a new case pretty soon. I'm guessing it's because she just drops the thing in her bag without using the carrier to help protect it. I'm guessing my girlfriend will probably not go for the ballistic either, but hey it's another option. I'm thinking that it does look pretty cool and not to many people have it yet is what is attractive to me.

The ballistic case does look a lot bulkier than the otterbox and that would be the major downside to me ordering one. I know that the otterbox has performed very well for her and has save the phone from abuse. Seeing the video demo on the ballistic website and seeing what my friend did to his phone makes me very curious to try one out.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Somehow she has managed to mangle the rubber sleeve for her phone and will probably be looking for a new case pretty soon.
If it helps, I saw just plain rubber sleeves for otterbox on ebay. I forget which iphone she has, but I'm pretty sure I found them for both the 3gs and 4. Real cheap, too.
Who'd have thunk it, right?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #24
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Thank you for the tip Sir! Never would have thought of checking ebay $13 - $16 is not too bad, I've never used ebay for anything. I know she's been wanting a different color case though, so maybe she mangled it up on purpose
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Thank you for the tip Sir! Never would have thought of checking ebay $13 - $16 is not too bad, I've never used ebay for anything. I know she's been wanting a different color case though, so maybe she mangled it up on purpose
If you go to otter box.com, you can get the model number of the color she likes and search it on eBay in two shakes. I got brand new in package for half of what I paid for mine at radio shack.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Well Scott,
Kinda late, but I'm going to take you advice.
I ordered an Otterbox defender for the iPad (should arrive tomorrow) and preordered one for our new iPad 2.
Last night my 2yr old dropped the new iPad 2 (got it on Monday) and the screen cracked. It's a light crack near the camera but the cracks stretch along the top 1/3. I had a smart cover on it, but that provides no protection.
I took it to Apple to try to get the screen replaced and they are going to replace the entire iPad for free. They had to order one and said it would take 3-5 days. I was pretty sad, but the Apple guys are great! I can't think of another store that would have done that for me.

Bad pic, but you get the idea:
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #27
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well Scott,
I ordered an Otterbox defender for the iPad (should arrive tomorrow) and preordered one for our new iPad 2.
Last night my 2yr old dropped the new iPad 2 (got it on Monday) and the screen cracked. It's a light crack near the camera but the cracks stretch along the top 1/3. I had a smart cover on it, but that provides no protection.
I took it to Apple to try to get the screen replaced and they are going to replace the entire iPad for free. They had to order one and said it would take 3-5 days. I was pretty sad, but the Apple guys are great! I can't think of another store that would have done that for me.

Ouch.

I had read on the iPad forum that Apple is replacing them if you are nice.
Glad to hear they did.

FYI, I took out an all-risk policy on mine for $60. Price varies by unit. Mine cost the most as 64G 3G.
Anything at all happens to it, I get $829 less a $50 deductible.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #28
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Where the heck do you get that kind of service anymore? I can't hardly believe they're replacing it, I gotta admit I'm a bit shocked. Congratulations!!!
The baby should be able to drop it all day long with the Defender on it. The only way I can see that it'd break is if it got plunked screen-down on a hard sippy cup or something. I think you can even walk on it without worrying, although I'm sure they're not for walking on.
The new screens are supposed to be nearly unbreakable, depending how they are bent. You guys figured out a way to get it done. lol.
Let us know what you think of the new cover, will ya? If it's bulky and rubber-sticky like mine, it should really help a ton.
Quote:
Well Scott,

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #29
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Ouch.

I had read on the iPad forum that Apple is replacing them if you are nice.
Glad to hear they did.

FYI, I took out an all-risk policy on mine for $60. Price varies by unit. Mine cost the most as 64G 3G.
Anything at all happens to it, I get $829 less a $50 deductible.
Yeah, I was honest about how it happened and I asked how much it would cost me to get it replaced. I was really kinda surprised and expressed how grateful I was.
I saw a woman once with a really broken iPhone screen complaining how it was dropping calls and trying to say the screen wasn't the reason she was bringing it in.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #30
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

I would have an otterbox case on my iphone except, I like being able to easily get my phone in and out of my pocket. I have a minimal silicon case on my 3GS and most times go without a case at all. It was a pre-order version, so it's a little beat up now. I hear they may release the iPhone 5 in September. We'll see. If they don't, then I'll get an iPhone4 and a decent case to keep on it, but I don't want to upgrade to the 4 just yet...