Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

First Name: Richie bklyn
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
RichieBklyn is on a distinguished road
Default CC's or NC's?

It seems to me the more people smoke (years) they tend to lean toward CC's as better than NC's. Any truth to this? I can't seem to figure out why? I have smoked about 10 CC's, premium brands mostly when out of the US, bought at an LCD. I have not found CC's to taste better than NC's. What am I missing?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: CC's or NC's?

smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Doesn't matter what the others say, matters what you like.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
ArgusP2
It's Smokin' Time!

First Name: Angel
Trading: (13)
RA
ArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the roughArgusP2 is a jewel in the rough

How long have you been smoking cigars?
I've been smoking cigars for less than a year, April will be my one year mark. There are cigars that I really liked and enjoyed then that I don't even smoke anymore. I smoke cigars on both sides of your question.
Your palate will change and you will move on to another brand or even vitola of the same brand. So you didn't like/enjoy those CCs, could be your palate is more predisposed to NCs, for now. It could change then again it might not.

Of course it always comes down to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Doesn't matter what the others say, matters what you like.

Enjoy!!

-Bdawg
ArgusP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

Bolivar

Quote:
Im very impressed by the amount of replys to all posts on this site, great job guys!

Ofcourse I will only smoke what I like. The point I am making is in my experiences talking to many life long smokers it seems like when people start smoking CC's thier is often a point of no return to NC's. They just stick with CC's ans almost rate NC's as second hand smokes. Although it doesn't seem that way by this group's responses.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieBklyn View Post
The point I am making is in my experiences talking to many life long smokers it seems like when people start smoking CC's thier is often a point of no return to NC's. They just stick with CC's ans almost rate NC's as second hand smokes.
I think this is probably a product of the development of the palate- specifically, the ability to pick up some of the more understated flavors in a cigar. There are some subtle flavors available in many CCs that are much less common in NCs. If one 'tunes in' to these flavors, there's an additional 'language' of flavors going on that, in my experience, is close to 'unspoken' in non-ISOM products. If the art of this particular language means anything to you (ie. if you care about those particular flavors and the interplay between them), there's really only one place you can go. For many smokers, it takes a fair amount of experience to begin noticing these flavors, so that may explain the tendency for smokers to lean toward Cuba as their experience expands.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I think this is probably a product of the development of the palate- specifically, the ability to pick up some of the more understated flavors in a cigar. There are some subtle flavors available in many CCs that are much less common in NCs. If one 'tunes in' to these flavors, there's an additional 'language' of flavors going on that, in my experience, is close to 'unspoken' in non-ISOM products. If the art of this particular language means anything to you (ie. if you care about those particular flavors and the interplay between them), there's really only one place you can go. For many smokers, it takes a fair amount of experience to begin noticing these flavors, so that may explain the tendency for smokers to lean toward Cuba as their experience expands.

Wow! So you basically are saying for an experienced smoker you believe more flavors can be generated from certain CC's that can not be found in NC's?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow! So you basically are saying for an experienced smoker you believe more flavors can be generated from certain CC's that can not be found in NC's?
Different ones that you can only get from cc's. Some really incredible ones, at that. Probably a lot more from cc's than all the nuances of all the nc's together, actually. But completely different.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes. Bear in mind, I'm not saying that CCs necessarily display more flavors than NCs, but that there are particular flavors in many CCs that aren't common in NCs. As some have said earlier in the thread, CCs and NCs simply inhabit different regions of the flavor spectrum and the more subtle levels of flavor you're able to detect, the more prominent this difference can become. Pick your analogy:

Horror movies vs. musicals

Country music vs. classic rock

Mexican food vs. Japanese food

etc.

Some people like country music, but not classic rock. Some people like both. Until you have a firm idea what you do and don't find interesting, why limit yourself?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Im very impressed by the amount of replys to all posts on this site, great job guys!

Ofcourse I will only smoke what I like. The point I am making is in my experiences talking to many life long smokers it seems like when people start smoking CC's thier is often a point of no return to NC's. They just stick with CC's ans almost rate NC's as second hand smokes. Although it doesn't seem that way by this group's responses.
From what I've watched over the years, lots of brothers do just as you said, ending up and stopping at cc's with seldom a look back.
There's another thing that happens, too...
Generally speaking, they've tried everything along the way. They've learned who makes good, solid nc's that have done it for years without a hitch. They've learned how to smell a "gimmick" or a cigar producer who's just in it for the coin. They've learned that it's not necessary to jump on every limited edition cigar, and know how to find a good value smoke.
I'd even go so far as saying that most all-cc or mostly-cc smokers tend to veer away from cc LE's and RE's, waiting until a buzz develops from seasoned, trusted botl's before they'll even consider jumping on something "new and improved".
That's the polar opposite of what a large (or at least vocal) portion of nc smokers do.
It's really a whole metamorphisis, and it's just plain fun. The whole trip.
Somewhere along the way the cigars teach a respectful tolerance of each other's desires (smoke what you like/live and let live), and that seems to spread out in all facets of their life. It's cool how the love of the leaf turns into a deep love of our brothers.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:

Don't just go by me Rich!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
Don't just go by me Rich!
Ya, but as u can see u have some paaaaaaartners...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Bad Finger

Quote:
If that is the case and it simply comes down to what a person likes, why do CC's get so much special treatment on forum boards by getting their own section for every marca and multiple other areas dedicated directly to Cuban blends?

I don't see that preferential treatment for say, Nicaraguan cigars.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Finger View Post
If that is the case and it simply comes down to what a person likes, why do CC's get so much special treatment on forum boards by getting their own section for every marca and multiple other areas dedicated directly to Cuban blends?

The "why doesn't every NC have a subforum/review area" question has been answered many times. The shear volume (and more new ones daily) makes it nearly impossible. Other than the existence of a habanos forum and marca specific review areas, I have no idea what you mean by preferential.

Where are these "multiple other areas" of which you speak?

The ToE built the board that they wanted and do listen to inmate input. If the board isn't what you want, VBulletin.org is the place to go to see how cheap and easy it is to set one up yourself.

Build it and people who want your environment will come. If it gets lonely, don't complain to me.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Bad Finger

Quote:
The "why doesn't every NC have a subforum/review area" question has been answered many times. The shear volume (and more new ones daily) makes it nearly impossible. Other than the existence of a habanos forum and marca specific review areas, I have no idea what you mean by preferential.

Where are these "multiple other areas" of which you speak?

The ToE built the board that they wanted and do listen to inmate input. If the board isn't what you want, VBulletin.org is the place to go to see how cheap and easy it is to set one up yourself.

Build it and people who want your environment will come. If it gets lonely, don't complain to me.

Wow, Really Mark? That's how you read what I said? All I was implying was the fact that cubans definately get preferential treatment on ALL boards, and those who tend to play coy and say things like "smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Doesn't matter what the others say, matters what you like."
while being one of the biggest cc whores most Asylum members know is pretty weak. Give the man an actual answer, he is only seeking help.

As for me asking "If that is the case and it simply comes down to what a person likes, why do CC's get so much special treatment on forum boards by getting their own section for every marca and multiple other areas dedicated directly to Cuban blends?", where did I ever ask for others to get the same?

I was only noting that the site in fact DOES give the preference to CC's and not NC's. I would also appreciate it if you would please me where I asked "why doesn't every NC have a subforum/review area". That wasn't what my question asked at all.

And saying "If the board isn't what you want, VBulletin.org is the place to go to see how cheap and easy it is to set one up yourself.

Build it and people who want your environment will come. If it gets lonely, don't complain to me" makes you look like an elitest. When did I say this board isn't what I want? And who put you in charge of telling people to leave and go elsewhere?

Is this what the mods around here expect out of their senior members? If so, then you probably are right. I should go find somewhere else.

However, even if I leave, the fact will remain. CC's will continue to get the earned respect they get on these types of websites that the NC's do not get. That is the status quo.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
and those who tend to play coy and say things like "smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Doesn't matter what the others say, matters what you like."
while being one of the biggest cc whores most Asylum members know is pretty weak. Give the man an actual answer, he is only seeking help.
There is no actual answer to the question CC or NC. Taste is subjective and what you smoke is merely a preference. Even if someone "is the biggest CC whore" that doesn't mean they are for everyone and he should tell everyone to smoke CC's because he does.

There are many members here given the choice they would gladly never smoke another CC again and continue to horde and smoke massive amounts of NC's.

I think you are also forgetting that the topic poster smoked 10 or so CC's and they did nothing for him. I won't speak for Mark but to me his post translates to "if you smoked CC's and they aren't your cup of tea maybe they aren't for you. Just smoke what you already enjoy".

Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Wow, Really Mark? That's how you read what I said? .
I read, or tried to read what you said to Markem and comprehend it, the stuff quoted above and below,
and I can't figure out WHAT you are saying. So do not be surprised that people misunderstand you.

Quote:
while being one of the biggest cc whores most Asylum members know is pretty weak. Give the man an
actual answer, he is only seeking help..
Why is anyone bound by this mysterious code, to be honest with their fellow annonymous internet buddy?
Most people say 'smoke what you like' in order to stay out of long, drawn out arguments with people who
have already asked a loaded question and are likely to whine about any answer you give, like a child
that answers every answer with "but why..?" You can't make people think like you, you can't make them
answer a simple question the way you do.

Quote:
I was only noting that the site in fact DOES give the preference to CC's and not NC's.
Build it and people who want your environment will come. If it gets lonely, don't complain to me" makes
you look like an elitest.

Is this what the mods around here expect out of their senior members? If so, then you probably are right.
I should go find somewhere else..
Your response showed me that you likely came here and signed up and started posting away. They show me
you likely did not read any of the sticky material that tells the story of how this board came to be. This is not
a democracy. It is kind of like a theocracy. There is a group of people that pays for this site out of their own
pocket and can set it up the way they like it. They constantly listen to suggestions but are under no pressure
to comply with them. If it leans towards havanas, maybe it is because the TOE, which is the Team of Eleven,
since you likely did not read that story, are a group of connoisseurs who seem to all prefer havanas.
They include the NC forum because they are fair. You can holler here and people might not treat you like they
do at some of the more animalistic forums, but never think that this is one of these boards that has to listen to
their advertisers or even their members. The way things are here may NOT be like any other place you will find.
But while you MIGHT think that is a negative, we here find it just about right.

I don't think anyone is telling you you should leave. They are probably telling you to find out where you are
before you start to behave as if you are where you might think you are. I think it is fair to say that you have
a lot of reading to do. If you fail to try to understand the asylum and just bash your head against the wall of
your cell, no one will miss you when you leave.

To answer your last actual question, a 'lot of other boards" separate CCs from NCs because they are smart enough
to realize, as this one does, that not every newbie that walks in, slaps down a username and password and
freemail address needs to have access to a forum where almost internet-wide, a little decorum is necessary for a
product that for a lot of smokers is "illegal". A lot of new members on baords come in and shoot their mouths off
about sources and ways of mailing contraband and get into arguments about how CCs suck, etc. It is smart to
segregate a board that requires "decorum and tact" from those people who have none of either until such time
as they LEARN some and EARN the priviledge. A separate board is an easy way to do this.

Last edited by OLS; 03-30-2012 at 06:14 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:

I fail to see the tie-in between your question and the comment, and my first thought was "what's the difference?", but you may want to consider that this board, as well as many others, are privately owned, run and paid for.
Point being, the powers that be may prefer it that way. Considering neither of us have a dime in it, that brings us right back around to "what's the difference?"
Another way to look at it relates to Ferdie's comment earlier. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of non-cuban marcas. Where would one fit a category for each? Who would remove, manage, change things as one marca after another is abandoned because it's stopped selling?
There's not a new cc created every week, and it stands to reason that one could break down the reviews, for instance, such as they are here. I can't speak to how other boards are broken down, I don't visit them.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Bad Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I fail to see the tie-in between your question and the comment, and my first thought was "what's the difference?", but you may want to consider that this board, as well as many others, are privately owned, run and paid for.
Point being, the powers that be may prefer it that way. Considering neither of us have a dime in it, that brings us right back around to "what's the difference?"
Another way to look at it relates to Ferdie's comment earlier. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of non-cuban marcas. Where would one fit a category for each? Who would remove, manage, change things as one marca after another is abandoned because it's stopped selling?
There's not a new cc created every week, and it stands to reason that one could break down the reviews, for instance, such as they are here. I can't speak to how other boards are broken down, I don't visit them.

Again, I didn't request that they do. I just am bringing up the fact that there is preferential treatment on ALL CIGAR FORUMS, not just CA.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

1. The interests of the people who initially designed the website, they wanted it and so they made it. That simple.
2. The fact that there are small, finite set of marcas that has hardly changed in the last 10 years, and as such can easily be given that kind of detailed treatment. I dare you to try to organize every Marca on the NC side that's existed in the last ten years.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

First and foremost everyone needs to take a step back and remember this is just a cigar board. Let's not make it personal.

For anyone who cares, it is my opinon that this board and countless others stratify CCs and not NCs solely based on what Clayton has succicntly stated below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
2. The fact that there are small, finite set of marcas that has hardly changed in the last 10 years, and as such can easily be given that kind of detailed treatment. I dare you to try to organize every Marca on the NC side that's existed in the last ten years.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote