Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default eBay tutorials / caveats?

I've been asked by a local library if I would be interested in starting up a new capability for them. In addition to the annual book sales, they want to start offering some of the more expensive books on eBay (unless there is some place better? Amazon marketplace perhaps?).

Anyway, I've never sold or even bought on eBay, so I thought I'd ask people here about possible online tutorials plus caveats, etc.

I would not be selling under my name, but for the library. The library would get all funds, do all shipping, etc.

What say ye?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: eBay tutorials / caveats?

Selling on eBay is pretty simple, there are some tutorials on the ebay website.

For books, you just punch in the ISBN number and it pulls up all the info and a cover picture. You just add the condition, price, shipping and any notes, then post it.

For personal accounts, you get 50 free basic auction listings per month, so for those, you only pay for upgrades (fixed price, gallery, etc.) and on the final value assessment (like 12% IIRC). After those 50, you pay insertion fees, which aren't that much.

If you do a lot of listings, there are upgraded accounts and ebay stores which have different fees and rate schedules.

As for used books on Amazon, I know someone who does that as a business and I could ask him for more details the next time I run into him. One thing that he did mention that was interesting, is that he has an app on his phone where he can just shoot the barcode and it will give him the Amazon sales rankings for the book, so he knows if he should buy it and add it to the other titles he is offering.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
One thing that he did mention that was interesting, is that he has an app on his phone where he can just shoot the barcode and it will give him the Amazon sales rankings for the book, so he knows if he should buy it and add it to the other titles he is offering.
All the book buyers at the annual sale have those types of apps. They seem to be really good for those who haunt the book sales for business.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
All the book buyers at the annual sale have those types of apps. They seem to be really good for those who haunt the book sales for business.
Oh, no doubt. It was just something I had never run across before because I don't buy & sell used books. I mentioned it in the event that it might be able to be of use to you for this project, being able to see what books are even worth listing.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Set auctions with low inital price and no reserve. Take good pictures of the book including faults. Accuracy is paramount. Use pre-paid express mail USPS and don't jack up shipping and handling costs.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Lonely Raven

Make sure you take Pay Pal, otherwise you're wasting your time.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:00 AM   #7
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Mark, you could also look into listing them on half.com
jledou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I do use ebay and I will say research how to list items without fees. Also people like to see free shipping, I'd just add it into your price. Ship everything USPS priority with DC, and like Eric said you better accept PP.

I usually just look at similar auctions and undercut by 10%-15%. Chances are many things don't sell and if your prices are low enough they'll sell the first time. Additional listings will get you more fees so it's easier to list at a reasonable price the first time.

Accurate descriptions and good pictures are a must as well. They'll charge you by picture so make them count.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

IIRC, I was going to use amazon to list a number of books on amazon, but for some reason I believe they were going to charge me a monthly fee regardless of whether I sold anything or not. I believe with amazon, you could even give the inventory over to them and they list/ship.

Half/eBay are good options as well. Just depends on what limitations they'd have (if any) in the fulfillment world.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote