Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
Trading: (10)
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road
Default Setting up my new EdgeStar

So I just bit the bullet and bought an Edgestar from this thread >> http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47424

I'm curious now to know how some of you that may own this has it set up to optimize humidity and space. I know nothing about hwo to do this and would prefer not to just stack everything on top of each other.

Please share with me your pictures and detailed descriptons of what shelves, drawers, beads, fans, etc you have to help mazimize space while maintaining humidity?

Jackie
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Setting up my new EdgeStar

Many people use beads in their Edgestars and other wine coolers. Both Heartfelt (http://heartfeltindustries.com/) and HCM (http://www.hcmcigarbeads.com/) beads seem to be the most popular for this. Of course, I have a bias...

A good hygrometer is also important.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I've only had mine a month but here's what I did.

Left the door open for like a week.
Wiped it out with baking soda.
Left baking soda in there for a few days.
Left it open for a few more days.
Plugged the drain with scotch tape.
Left one of the metal shelves in on lowest shelf until my wooden shelves from Forrest get here.
Placed 1 pound of beads under the metal shelf.
Placed another pound ontop of all my boxes.
Put the cold setting on warmest.

I think that's it.

I'd get shelves from Forrest to maximize the space. 2 pounds of heartfelt 65 RH beads is what I use. No fans currently.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I've only had mine a month but here's what I did.

Left the door open for like a week.
Wiped it out with baking soda.
Left baking soda in there for a few days.
Left it open for a few more days.
Plugged the drain with scotch tape.
Left one of the metal shelves in on lowest shelf until my wooden shelves from Forrest get here.
Placed 1 pound of beads under the metal shelf.
Placed another pound ontop of all my boxes.
Put the cold setting on warmest.

I think that's it.

I'd get shelves from Forrest to maximize the space. 2 pounds of heartfelt 65 RH beads is what I use. No fans currently.

same here except i ordered drawers cause i have a lot of singles and 5ers. i did put another metal shelf about halfway up and i have a few trays in there holding singles and boxes on the bottom. i think in my edgestar i have just over 2 pounds of HF beads. holds between 62-64% and 63-64 degrees so im a happy camper.

my old vino that isnt thermo isnt pluged in and i keep a pound and a half of HCM beads in there. holds right at 65% for me so im happy. that vino is for overflow / boxes.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Yeah...I'm 100% boxes. Same 62-64 RH, probably 62-64 degrees as well. Great results.

My best advice, get drunk and forget about it.

I got really crazy at the start, because it doesn't hold temp and RH as well as a coolidor.

But everything is lower....which is better (IMO) so I don't care. My cigars feel GREAT. Got that right amount of spongyness.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I have a Newair 28 bottle but same concept. 1st I opened the box. Next I plugged it in. Then I but the wire shelves in. Last I put my cigar boxes, beads and hydro in. I'm at 65% 65f with adjusting the temp setting on the wine cooler. I keep it in the closet where external temps range from 74-86f, I have found no need for drip trays, fans, or electronic temperature controllers. Results may vary but I have read posts on other forums where weeks have been spent modifying the cooler with these items, results may vary but mine is working fine out of the box. So I'm will Bill on this one, not much is needed.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
Trading: (10)
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road

Anyone in GA by chance. Just curious what kinds of set up you have and use with your Edgestar. I'm in Atlanta, and have no clue what i may need. IE fans, temp controller, how much beads etc. I'm goign to start with at least 2 lbs of beads.

thanks
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road

I did my Edgestar 28 the same way, except after I washed it out with baking soda (three times) I brought it inside and shut the door with a new box of baking soda inside. I let it set for two weeks and it worked great.

While I was waiting for the humi to arrive, I bought 4 drawers and 2 shelves and Sheila beads (3 lbs). When the shelves and drawers arrived, I put them inside the unit and filled a dish with distilled water and a sponge in it and keep that in there for a week. After that I filled her up, refilled the dish/sponge and waited until everything stabilized. This process took about two very long weeks, but now it is very stable and was worth the effort.

She holds temp and humidity just fine and I have not plugged her in........at all. I keep the unit out of the sun, and in a nice corner of the room. No issues.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote