Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Winter hiatus

Do you take a break or have a slowdown in your cigar smoking during part of the year? If so, when does it usually start and end?

I have slowdown at home beginning in the fall, but on warmer or dryer days, I still her outside on my (covered) patio. My herfing at the local cigar bars tends to go up as well. Overall tho, I think that I smoke about the same amount of cigars per week, just on a more erratic schedule.

What about you?

[side note: this would be a good thread to post the pics of your winterization of the herf area]
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winter hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post
Do you take a break or have a slowdown in your cigar smoking during part of the year? If so, when does it usually start and end?

I have slowdown at home beginning in the fall, but on warmer or dryer days, I still her outside on my (covered) patio. My herfing at the local cigar bars tends to go up as well. Overall tho, I think that I smoke about the same amount of cigars per week, just on a more erratic schedule.

What about you?

[side note: this would be a good thread to post the pics of your winterization of the herf area]
I tend to smoke more in the car in Winter.

I set out for Alki beach, (only about a mile from my place) find a place to park and enjoy the scenery; the car heater is my friend.

In the days before $3 gas, I would drive around a lot more.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

Winter I definitely do slow down on the frequency on times I smoke cigars. Even with a small heater in the garage it's still far too cold to spend an hour or two out there. I'm debating getting a fire pit and trying to smoke on the back patio but I dunno how that'll work out just yet (would need some sort of cover as well). Any cigar smoking would typically be either at a herf or on Sunday if I'm at the Shilo watching football.

Though, it's also this time of year that my frequency of smoking pipe 'baccy picks up since I can start/stop depending on comfort level.
jquirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I won't know till this year...but I'm going to assume that I will be smoking less unless I get my butt to a cigar bar.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

def slows down in the winter, and Katie won't let me smoke in the house Mostly in the winter it will be in the car, herf's, or on the occasional warm afternoon day. Unfortunately there aren't any cigar bars around the Bloomington area. The winter seems to be the covet and hoard period in preparation for the warmer months lol
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Sean9689
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Sean9689 is on a distinguished road

Gotta love the ventilation system in my basement. I smoke more in the winter because there is less to do outside.
Sean9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Molarman777

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitdavi View Post
def slows down in the winter, and Katie won't let me smoke in the house Mostly in the winter it will be in the car, herf's, or on the occasional warm afternoon day. Unfortunately there aren't any cigar bars around the Bloomington area. The winter seems to be the covet and hoard period in preparation for the warmer months lol

I just built a 14x16 man shed or as the neighbors call the foo foo shed(they are jealous) that will be my home away from home. You bet your arse I will be huffing and puffing in there, unless my wife tells me I cant!

Ahh good ol B'Town, if you come up for the Purdue game drop me a PM and maybe we can get together.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I won't know till this year...but I'm going to assume that I will be smoking less unless I get my butt to a cigar bar.
Remember our discussion? Just smoke inside and ask questions later lol...

In any event, I will be in the garage if I smoke at home. I doubt I will slow down much though cuz I just smoke in the car on the way home (I have a 80 minute commute). That takes care of the weekdays and then on weekends I smoke at the local B&M or herfs locally...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
MithShrike

I live in AZ. It's finally getting to a point where it's comfortable to sit outside.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

California - Consistent throughout the year!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

Mine definitely slows down during the cold months. This year I'm finally looking into winterization/heating options for the patio - looked at some electric and small propane heaters at Lowe's the other day.
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
California - Consistent throughout the year!!!
Correction - SoCal

Go herf with CigarGal in the winter some time. That's put hair on your humidor.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I slow way down. I'll smoke in the car when driving an hour or so for work and in a cigar-friendly car on occasion. I'm thinking about a space heater for the garage but that's really not the most comfortable way to smoke. I use quite a bit more nasal snuff in the winter.

MCS
MajorCaptSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I live in AZ. It's finally getting to a point where it's comfortable to sit outside.
Vegas here, I agree! I do have a gazebo I put up thin canvas tarps around and my heater, if I am outside (Vegas does have a cold side). But since we bought the house and I have a room dedicated to it, I will be there most of the time. My habits have incresed latley, and will remain steady for the most part.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
jbonnefsc

Where I live in Florida, I smoke more in the winter, because it is so much nicer without the 100% humidity, giant Mosquitoes, sudden rain storms, and 90 Degrees at 10pm...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonnefsc View Post
Where I live in Florida, I smoke more in the winter, because it is so much nicer without the 100% humidity, giant Mosquitoes, sudden rain storms, and 90 Degrees at 10pm...
I don't miss that at all. Despite the inherent inconveniences, I like having more than 3 1/2 days of Winter.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #17
blckthree

I have to retreat to the garage for cover. Definately not as much fun. The smokes get smaller and quicker unless I get one of those unseasonably warm days.

Mike
Old 10-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Definite slowdown because of the colder weather. I have a covered front porch and purchased a propane heater, so I might brave the cold a little more often this winter. If I clean the garage out and put in some ventilation, then I'll have another option.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #19
Beer Doctor

Last weekend I had to bundle up and smoke on my porch. I'm talking two pants, two socks, two sweatshirts, hat, and gloves. It wasn't too cold but it was too much work. My days of smoking outside will be limited to a few more times during the day and no more at night. Guess I'll be going to a bar if I want to smoke
Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #20
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I second that. It is great right now.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote