Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #181
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patriots Fans

Good to see the Pats playing on all cylinders the last few games.
What about the Jets sideline coach tripping up the Miami player? That's messed up!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #182
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitnchew View Post
Not a huge loss for the Bears. More of a reality check
The reality being, this bears team could never win the Super Bowl.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #183
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Good to see the Pats playing on all cylinders the last few games.
What about the Jets sideline coach tripping up the Miami player? That's messed up!!!
I am suprised he hasn't been fired yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h32Gj...layer_embedded
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #184
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Patriots Fans

Another great win against the NFC North - this time the victims were the Bears 36-7.

Some thoughts:

Anyone who wants to beat the Patiots best do so this year. They are getting better game by game and have a slew of high draft picks coming up. The future looks bright indeed!
I do not think there is a defense in the league that can keep this offense down right now. Brady, the O-Line, the receivers and the backs are all hitting on all cylinders. They can seemingly do as they please. What a joy to watch!
The defense is coming of age. 3 points by the Jets, 7 points by the Bears. The improvement of this very young defense has to rank as one of BB's best coaching jobs EVER! Really, there is no competition for coach of the year, (though I'm sure the Pats haters out there will try to come up with something)
Who would have thought that Fred Taylor could not displace either Danny Woodhead or BenJarvis Green-Ellis as a starting back? Amazing!
I hope the Krafts and BB suck it up and resign Logan Mankins this offseason. He has been a beast.
Now if we can just avoid any mental letdowns and major injuries this could turn out to be a very memorable season

Next up - Green Bay on the frozen tundra of .... Foxborough.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #185
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

Whew!, a close call vs the Packers, but we'll take the win 31-27.

Some thoughts:

* The defensive line (except for Wilfork), looked VERY suspect for this game. No way a young QB should be able to have the kind of game Flynn had. Grade them "D" and hope for a wake-up call before the Buffalo game.
* Good job by the offensive line vs Clay Matthews, he was mostly a non-factor
* On the other hand, the offensive line did not consistantly get the push needed to give the Pats any kind of consistant running game.
* One good thing about the offense was their performance in hurry-up mode. Probably should have gone to that earlier.
* Dan Connoly's return was fun to watch.
* Re: the opening game onside kick... that miscue is all on the coaching staff.
* The Patriots were lucky that Aaron Rodgers was not playing, but as it was they did JUST ENOUGH to pull out a victory. Hopefully this was enough of a wake-up call for this young team to stop reading their press clippings and get back to playing like they are capable of.

On to snowy Buffalo next

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #186
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDragon View Post
The Patriots were lucky that Aaron Rodgers was not playing, but as it was they did JUST ENOUGH to pull out a victory.
This is what I keep coming back to in my mind. Regardless of anything else Rodgers could have been able to do during the game, at a minimum he would have been more prepared for that final play and would have given the Packers one more shot at the end zone. If Flynn could push the game that close on his first NFL start, Rodgers would have been able to use his skill and experience to really exploit and embarrass us.

I think Belichick had the best attitude during the 5th Quarter interview--listening to the guy you would have had no idea that we won, and I don't think the team should feel like they won either.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #187
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If they lost, it would've been kick in rears the Pats need to get through the Play Off's. I hope this will be a learning lesson.

The recovered on-side kick by the Packers was just fantastic. I think Belichick may use that one later this season.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #188
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

I see it a little different.
The opening kickoff was all on Sanders for not doing his job he moved back to start blocking.
The D line is playing with the reserves, reserves.
Ed Hockley is a real P.O.S I think he thinks the fans pay to see him?
Questionable calls gave the Packers scoring opportunities.
Brandon Merryweather being out of position and blocking his own man lead to a long easy TD, I don't think we will see him next year he just don't get it?
Sloppy game but a win is a win.
You can bet practice will be hell this week.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #189
dogface_313

Didn't see it but from what i have read it was ugly. A W is a W but that type of play will not fly against healthy teams in the playoffs.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #190
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan View Post
I see it a little different.
The opening kickoff was all on Sanders for not doing his job he moved back to start blocking.
The D line is playing with the reserves, reserves.
Ed Hockley is a real P.O.S I think he thinks the fans pay to see him?
Questionable calls gave the Packers scoring opportunities.
Brandon Merryweather being out of position and blocking his own man lead to a long easy TD, I don't think we will see him next year he just don't get it?
Sloppy game but a win is a win.
You can bet practice will be hell this week.
It wasn't so much the questionable calls, but that they were nitpicking every little thing that they would normally overlook b/c Goodell was in attendance.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #191
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
It wasn't so much the questionable calls, but that they were nitpicking every little thing that they would normally overlook b/c Goodell was in attendance.
Still doesn't give the refs the right to throw a flag for an "illegal hit" after watching it on the big screen at the stadium.
Either way, the defense looked like they were just sitting around waiting to have something go their way. Looked like the defense of the first half of the season, not of the last 3-4 games.
Hopefully they can bounce back and get back into the swing of things.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #192
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Still doesn't give the refs the right to throw a flag for an "illegal hit" after watching it on the big screen at the stadium.
Either way, the defense looked like they were just sitting around waiting to have something go their way. Looked like the defense of the first half of the season, not of the last 3-4 games.
Hopefully they can bounce back and get back into the swing of things.
Bill was pissed on the sideline saying who put that on the screen?
I bet who ever did is lucky if they still have a job, and you can bet that will never happen again
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #193
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

The beauty of this game is they get the wake-up call they needed and Bill wanted without having to actually take the Loss.

We need that D line to get healthy before January.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #194
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
The officiating crew working that game also throws more flags than any other crew in the league.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #195
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

The Brian Hoyer watch is on again
Old 12-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #196
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Old 12-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #197
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

RyJ

Amazing how they do it with what nine starters missing?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #198
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Looked pretty good today. Looked like the Pats were playing with their mid-season defense and not their early-season/last-week defense. They had better hang on to the good one for the playoffs.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #199
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

Patriots AFC East Champs - home field throughout the playoffs
Name:  hat.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  10.2 KB

Some thoughts:

* I'll admit I was concerned when Buffalo marched down the field on the first drive to score a field goal. It looked like they could run on the Pats all day. Then Bill changed up the defensive scheme and ...well that was that.
* Congrats to B-J Green Ellis. He could get to a 1000 yard rushing season next week. Well deserved for him and big kudos to the offensive line for clearing the way.
* Congrats to (MVP) Brady for setting NFL record for most throws w/o a pick, (btw, do you think it just a coincidence that Kosar was playing for Belicheck when he set the old record?)
* I'd really like to see us re-sign Logan Mankins-though I don't think it will happen.
* I hope that some rest will get some of our injured guys back (esp. Hernandez, Connelly, Mike Wright and Dearderick)
* Couldn't believe that Welker dropped three balls thrown to him. I expect a good bounce back game from him next week - (if Belicheck plays him)

I've always said that all that can be asked of any sports team you root for is that they play hard and well enough to get into the playoffs ... after that it is a crap shoot. Yes, we would all like our team to win the championship every year but that is completely unrealistic. In that vein this Patriots team has been FANTASTIC. Virtually no one gave them any chance at all of making the playoffs this year with their very young defense, cast-off running backs, rookie tight ends and very young and suspect DB's. People actually thought they had given up on the season when they cast off Randy Moss. Instead, we have the best record in the league. I love this team. No matter what they do in the playoffs they have far exceeded expectations and have made for a very enjoyable NFL season. Belicheck deserves to be coach of the year (though I don't expect he'll get it because of how he treats the media). Congrats to him and the entire organization for a GREAT Season.

Now the question --how many starters play against Miami? (I expect ALL)

Old 12-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #200
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

This is the most fun Pats team to watch in a long time. It would not shock me to see this team win the last game of the year.