Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #661
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Bottled some Porter last night, added some Wild Turkey to the last gallon in the bottling bucket - the flat sample tasted delicious, can't wait for this one to be ready
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #662
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I picked up 3 ball lock kegs, dual gauge regulator and 5lb co2 tank from a guy on craigslist for $75 earlier this week. Still need a fridge or freezer, but I'm getting close!
Good find! I scored a 7 cf chest freezer on craigslist for $50 when I got started. It was and still is in great shape. I built a temp controller to compliment the freezer.

About to kick a keg of american brown ale and my blond ale is cold crashing before racking to keg.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #663
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
About to kick a keg of american brown ale and my blond ale is cold crashing before racking to keg.
Question about cold crashing. How do you do it? As fast as possible? Over a couple of days? I just set up a fridge that can hold a carboy, and rigged up a temp controller. I've been over-reading about yeast. I'm a dork and like the science aspect of the living thing that's making my booze for me. It sounds like there is some evidence that you risk pushing esters out of the yeast if you cold crash too fast. Is this something that might happen but just isn't an issue like hot side aeration, or is it something you take into account for and crash slowly (oxymoron).

Dark IPA I'm calling Hoppy Halloween in the fermentation chamber right now, Brown ale into my first keg (so much easier than bottling) last week, and a simcoe/chinook IPA that got dry hops 4 days ago about ready to go into my second keg. Just had the first bottle of a Founders breakfast stout clone yesterday, delicious, but I haven't ever had the original so I can't say whether I cloned it well.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #664
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Question about cold crashing. How do you do it? As fast as possible? Over a couple of days? I just set up a fridge that can hold a carboy, and rigged up a temp controller. I've been over-reading about yeast. I'm a dork and like the science aspect of the living thing that's making my booze for me. It sounds like there is some evidence that you risk pushing esters out of the yeast if you cold crash too fast. Is this something that might happen but just isn't an issue like hot side aeration, or is it something you take into account for and crash slowly (oxymoron).

Dark IPA I'm calling Hoppy Halloween in the fermentation chamber right now, Brown ale into my first keg (so much easier than bottling) last week, and a simcoe/chinook IPA that got dry hops 4 days ago about ready to go into my second keg. Just had the first bottle of a Founders breakfast stout clone yesterday, delicious, but I haven't ever had the original so I can't say whether I cloned it well.
I will cold crash at 38 degrees F for 2 days prior to kegging. It usually takes about 3-4 hours for my wort temp to drop from 65 degrees F to 38 degrees F. I feel this helps settle all of the solid particles and provide a clearer beer.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #665
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road

10 gal pumpkin ale (9 lbs of baked pumpkin in this one)
10 gal of citra pale ale (blew thru the other 10 like it was nothing lol)
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #666
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I will cold crash at 38 degrees F for 2 days prior to kegging. It usually takes about 3-4 hours for my wort temp to drop from 65 degrees F to 38 degrees F. I feel this helps settle all of the solid particles and provide a clearer beer.
Quick drop. I think I can achieve that pretty well in my fridge. Giving it a shot with the next batch to hit the keg.

Recipe for that Citra Pale? Trying to get my hands on a pound of Citra in a couple of days.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #667
Mikes
Post Whore

Quote:
Quick drop. I think I can achieve that pretty well in my fridge. Giving it a shot with the next batch to hit the keg.

Recipe for that Citra Pale? Trying to get my hands on a pound of Citra in a couple of days.

I will post it up asap. I do mini-mash kits....so if you do AG you might have to convert it. Also do a dry hop that the recipe does not call for ;o).
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #668
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

Quote:

Beware of suck back from the airlock or blowoff. Dropping temp creates a vacuum and for those people who have an elevated blowoff this could create a siphon. I use a S-style airlock and I noticed last night that the sanitizer solution froze before the wort reached 38 degrees.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #669
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Good find! I scored a 7 cf chest freezer on craigslist for $50 when I got started. It was and still is in great shape. I built a temp controller to compliment the freezer.

I found a floor-model 7cf freezer at Menard's for $90 on Saturday and was psyched! I had a couple rebates from prior purchases so it only ran me about $50.

Then I got home, plugged it in for 36 hours, and it never got cold. It was returned last night. Back to the search
Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #670
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I found a floor-model 7cf freezer at Menard's for $90 on Saturday and was psyched! I had a couple rebates from prior purchases so it only ran me about $50.

Then I got home, plugged it in for 36 hours, and it never got cold. It was returned last night. Back to the search
Around here they are few and far between now that deer season in underway.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #671
Mikes
Post Whore

Quote:
Beware of suck back from the airlock or blowoff. Dropping temp creates a vacuum and for those people who have an elevated blowoff this could create a siphon. I use a S-style airlock and I noticed last night that the sanitizer solution froze before the wort reached 38 degrees.
How bout using vodka and not the san solution so there is no worries about freezing? ;o)
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #672
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
How bout using vodka and not the san solution so there is no worries about freezing? ;o)
I don't usually have vodka on hand but I'm not too worried because once the wort reaches the temperature set point the freezer turns off and the sanitizer thaws.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #673
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Just put the Pumpkin Ale in the fermeter. I was slacking on this one.. I am hoping to have it ready by Thanksgiving.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #674
lou2row

Have a dunkel ready to bottle. Next up is an irish stout that I am going to try to "breakfast stout" it up.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #675
Mikes
Post Whore

Frigidaire 14.8 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White) ENERGY STAR on sale at lowes for $364. My brew bro has the same one. Holds 8 corney kegs and a small co2 tank. Now that I have the old inside fridge in the garage for fermentation I might as well build a keezer next to it....right? ;o)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #676
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Just put a pale ale hopped with chinook and simcoe into a keg. Awesome citrusy aroma. I'd drink it all right now if I hadn't brewed it with a pal that needs to at least get a chance to taste it
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #677
Mikes
Post Whore

Quote:

Better late than never. Went over today to keg and remembered to pick up the recipe sheet:

Mini mash:

1/2 lb Crystal 75L Malt
2 Lb 2-Row Malt
1/2 Lb Munich Malt
1/2 Lb Cara Pils Malt

You know the drill...155 deg for 45 min then sparge with 170 deg water. Approx 1 qt of sparge water for every 2 Lb of grain

5 Lb of Extra Pale ALe Extract

Bittering hops 1 oz Citra 60 min

Flavor hops 1 oz Citra 15 min

Aroma hops 1 oz Citra 5 min

White Labs California Ale V 051 or Weast American AleII (I use WL)

Final Gravity should be appx 1.013

I dry hop after the primary in the keg with another 1 oz of Citra. This time one keg had the pellet Citra the other had 1 oz of whole leaf Simco hops. We will see what a difference it makes ;o). One thing is for sure the whole leaf hops float like a mother....I thought I used enough marbles to weig them down but it was only enough to make the hop bag look like a bobber lmao.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #678
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Started drinking a porter we brewed about three monthe ago. Now that it has some age one it it is flat out wonderful!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #679
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

Just brewed an IPA with Galaxy,citra,centenneial,chinook,and columbus
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #680
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
Better late than never. Went over today to keg and remembered to pick up the recipe sheet:

Mini mash:

1/2 lb Crystal 75L Malt
2 Lb 2-Row Malt
1/2 Lb Munich Malt
1/2 Lb Cara Pils Malt

You know the drill...155 deg for 45 min then sparge with 170 deg water. Approx 1 qt of sparge water for every 2 Lb of grain

5 Lb of Extra Pale ALe Extract

Bittering hops 1 oz Citra 60 min

Flavor hops 1 oz Citra 15 min

Aroma hops 1 oz Citra 5 min

White Labs California Ale V 051 or Weast American AleII (I use WL)

Final Gravity should be appx 1.013

I dry hop after the primary in the keg with another 1 oz of Citra. This time one keg had the pellet Citra the other had 1 oz of whole leaf Simco hops. We will see what a difference it makes ;o). One thing is for sure the whole leaf hops float like a mother....I thought I used enough marbles to weig them down but it was only enough to make the hop bag look like a bobber lmao.
Thanks! My pound of citra should be in this week. Some citra single hops are definitely in the works.