Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default What are you giving up for Lent?(those who observe

For those of you who observe this holiday, what are you giving up for Lent? Being a Southern Baptist (somewhat), I've never observed this holiday. I see that the season of Lent is becoming more "popular" within protestant denominations lately and I think that is a good thing. Most all religions have a practice of fasting in some form or another (except us Southern Baptists, we can't go w/o our fried chicken and bar-b-cue ) I do think it a good idea and practice, and am going to follow through with the forty day fast.

With that said, I am going to abstain from meat and dairy for the forty days (in similar fashion to the Eastern Orthodox Church). What are you giving up?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What are you giving up for Lent?(those who obs

Several years ago I decided that giving something up for Lent was just self-serving so I started doing something else, I started giving of myself in volunteer activities. I have always been a volunteer at one of the VA hospitals in the area but I got involved in tutoring kids in reading so that they had a chance to get an advanced education. This is an easier pledge than giving something (usually drinking) up is for me to keep and seems to have a more positive impact. Also to clarify one thing in the original post, Lent is not a holiday, it is a 40 day period of spiritual preparation for Christ's resurrection on Easter. Starts on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday.

Last edited by taltos; 02-23-2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added information
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

I am Catholic and I try to give something up besides meat on Fridays and the holy days. This year I am thinking that I am giving up alcohol. I need to give my liver a rest. Plus, it is only 40 days. Maybe this is going to be harder then I thought!!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

I've decided to give up armed robbery, home invasion, crack, black tar heroin and making meth in hotel rooms. I have a feeling this might be hard. Seriously though, I don't usually bother with this as I'm as bad a Catholic as you'd ever meet.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I am a Catholic, so I don't eat meat on Friday's and Holy Days during Lent. Trust me, it is hard for me to not eat meat. I am still trying to decide what to give up for lent.

I always try to give up pop, but end up failing.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I usually think about it, but since I've been excommunicated that's about as far as I get. I do try to avoid meat on Fridays, however--my mother did a good job of instilling that Catholic guilt thing and it's hard to change.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Darrell

I've decided to give up being nice for lent.

I'm kidding, but good luck to everyone who observes it!!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I haven’t decided yet. I’ve been really lax in observing the no meat thing on Fridays so that might be a place to start.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

Catholic here and I will not eat meat on Friday's during lent either. I don't allow my son to eat meat on Friday's during lent either. The hubby on the other hand... LOL He marches to the beat of a different drum.

Let's see, I can't give up booze since I haven't had a drop since C-Fest 2007. Cigars, had to give those up for a bit. Cigarettes, the same.

I know I will think of something...
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Also to clarify one thing in the original post, Lent is not a holiday, it is a 40 day period of spiritual preparation for Christ's resurrection on Easter. Starts on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday.
You are absolutely right. I did slip up there (somewhat). Easter, which is a holiday, marks the end of lent (or day after). Holiday no longer means holy day in our society anymore.

As for giving back to the community, that is also what Lent is about, but it seems to be downplayed for the masses. I commend you for doing so.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Anyone giving up cigars for Lent? That'd be a rough one for me. Staying away from meat and dairy will be tough enough for me.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Anyone giving up cigars for Lent? That'd be a rough one for me. Staying away from meat and dairy will be tough enough for me.
There is no way I will give up cigars for lent I haven't smoked many this whole winter b/c of how cold it is. It is just about the right time of the year to start firing up the stogies.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

I gave up Catholicism one year for Lent and then never found it.

Seriously though, good luck to all who make an effort in observing their faith's beliefs and practices for Lent.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Any protestants or Eastern Orthodox here who are observing Lent this year?

Insert quote here.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

I have considered giving up cigars for Lent, but Man - that is hard! Still torn between desserts or cigars...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 View Post
I am Catholic and I try to give something up besides meat on Fridays and the holy days. This year I am thinking that I am giving up alcohol. I need to give my liver a rest. Plus, it is only 40 days. Maybe this is going to be harder then I thought!!
Just a quick update now that I able to drink again. It went better then I thought. I did realize that I can go to a bar and not drink. But let me tell you on Easter Sunday how good that beer tasted!! Good thing Lent is over because Three Floyds Brewery is have their Dark Lord Days on the 25th!!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
ahc4353

Missed this thread. But I'm gonna give up reading legend threads forever.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Missed this thread. But I'm gonna give up reading legend threads forever.
Good luck, Al.

It's the old "car wreck" syndrome. You know you shouldn't look, but....
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBQTEE1 View Post
Good thing Lent is over because Three Floyds Brewery is have their Dark Lord Days on the 25th!!
There's something unsettlingly ironic about that sentence.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote